being steered even though 3rd party accepted liability?

tir21
tir21 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 14 May 2017 at 9:26PM in Motoring
Other party has admitted liability. I sent two quotes to the insurance company. One for 750 with company A the other 1100 with company B. I said I wanted to go with company A because I'd used them before

they say they can't arrange repair with company A because they won't agree to the accident management companies t&c's

something about them not doing a credit repair

why are my insurance company bothered when they can claim it back off other parties insurance company

Comments

• peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Company A does the job and get paid.
    company B does the job, get paid and pays some back to insurance company.
    my guess anyway.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What I suspect has happened is your insurer has passed your claim to an accident management company (auxillus by any chance). They will have provided a expensive like for like hire car on a credit hire agreement and are now looking to repair your car under a credit repair agreement. Terms and conditions they demand the garage agree probably include 90 day payment terms which the garage do not want to agree.

The accident management company will look to recover from the at fault insurer but if they fail to do so you would be liable for the full cost of repairs and the overpriced hire car.

Google albany assistance if you want to know more.
  • tir21
    kindertons
  • tir21
    edited 14 May 2017 at 9:49PM
    angrycrow wrote: »
    What I suspect has happened is your insurer has passed your claim to an accident management company (auxillus by any chance). They will have provided a expensive like for like hire car on a credit hire agreement and are now looking to repair your car under a credit repair agreement. Terms and conditions they demand the garage agree probably include 90 day payment terms which the garage do not want to agree.

The accident management company will look to recover from the at fault insurer but if they fail to do so you would be liable for the full cost of repairs and the overpriced hire car.

Google albany assistance if you want to know more.

i thought the driver could insist where they have the car repaired? Will they have to let me get it done at comany A if I insist

it all seems a bit dishonest
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What I would do is go back to my insurer and insist they do what I pay them for and get them to repair the car instead of passing me to an acm. That way you have the protection of the ombudsman in the event of problems and a guarantee on the repairs although this may require use of the approved repairer.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    They'll want to use their approved repairer, it's easier on the paperwork and more profitable (yes they'll make a profit out of the other insurer).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tir21 wrote: »
    i thought the driver could insist where they have the car repaired? Will they have to let me get it done at comany A if I insist

it all seems a bit dishonest

Check your insurance policy - it usually details things like this.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    tir21 wrote: »
    You can. However, if you're doing it via your own insurer then their T&Cs probably will exclude the use of a courtesy vehicle if you get it fixed at anywhere other than an approved repairer. Probably would have been better claiming directly from the TP insurer.

On a side not I do wish you'd keep this saga of your car repair troubles in the one thread. Ultimately it'll help others to help you especially when they have all the relevant background information to hand.
  • tir21
    thanks neil

when you say approved repairer do you mean insurer approved or manufacturer approved. Both companies I've got quotes from are manufacturer apprved
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    When I had a car bump into me, some years ago, the insurance company gave me a choice of two bodyshops to use. One of them (which I chose) I used to work for!

If the insurance company is paying for the repair what difference does it make where it is done, unless you have some knowledge of the recommended bodyshops.

Personally, I think the only thing to bear (or should it be bare) in mind - is will original equipment be used - some insurers will allow/encourage cheaper spurious parts - which wont have such a close fit.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport