The Ultimate February Challenge

Comments

• Your dress sounds amazing Kat!

I'm looking forward to the new March challenge :D I had to buy DS1 a new coat yesterday so my budget has gone completely out the window (on the plus side all the new clothes for DS1 get saved for DS2 so I save money that way!). I honestly thought I would have no problem with this challenge whatsoever ~ how wrong was I!! It has definitely opened my eyes! I won't make all the SFDs but I'm hoping to reach 15. I have plenty of food in the freezer/fridge/cupboards so other than fresh fruit, veg, bread and milk I shouldn't have to buy anything else.

I think my main problems are that I 'panic buy' food and try to keep the cupboards stocked up 'just in case'. It's ridiculous because I have plenty of food to get us through this week and probably next week as well? I also feel bad for my 3 children (although they are really good and don't ask for things). So many of my friends buy their children expensive things, take them out everyday of half term and take them away on holiday ~ I know I shouldn't feel the need to compete but sometimes its hard not too ~ I guess thats why I bought the younger 2 a game each when we went to the cinema?? I do give the children pocket money each month so they learn to budget ~ I want to help them be far better with money than I was/am at the moment, and it seems to be working? DS1 and DD1 have both saved up about £80 each!

Oh well, ramble over! Hopefully next month I will stand stronger!!

Have a great weekend all :D
  • Actually I think I might make 17 SFD's not 15 lol!
  • Your dress sounds amazing Kat!

I also feel bad for my 3 children (although they are really good and don't ask for things). So many of my friends buy their children expensive things, take them out everyday of half term and take them away on holiday ~ I know I shouldn't feel the need to compete but sometimes its hard not too

I struggle with this too, in fact out of everything debt busting this is the hardest of all for me. Yes I know its good to teach your kids about money but when everyone else is going abroad in the holidays and yours are getting a week camping in the rain you do feel bad sometimes.

My eldest is 14 now and has started to worry about money so I am trying not to go on about it too much. We went to the beach on Tuesday and had to go in a cafe for lunch, it was so cold. He was saying at the top of his voice "blimey its expensive in here, £1.80 for a cup of tea, I would rather do without". I worry too because my parents lack of money and doing without made me spend like crazy when I became independent. I am sure thats one of the reasons I got into debt when I was in my early 20s and developed such a bad attitude to money.

Anyhow, kids aside I have managed 10 SFDs which isnt too bad considering its been half term. I think I should start putting a little bit away for the summer holidays, I keep thinking about having six weeks of entertaining the kids with no money!!
  • Anyhow, kids aside I have managed 10 SFDs which isnt too bad considering its been half term. I think I should start putting a little bit away for the summer holidays, I keep thinking about having six weeks of entertaining the kids with no money!!

I don't have children but saw a couple of ideas once which I thought I'd pass on to see if it was of any help.

1. Have a jar with ideas for days out / activities written on individual strips of paper. This would allow you to have a mix of free / cheap activities which could help with the financial planning. The children then take turns picking out of the jar, and depending on their age, could even be asked to organise all / part of the activity. A picnic in the park, for example, could involve a days baking at home with one of the children deciding on the menu depending whats in the house.

2. Print off a booklet of vouchers with ideas. The children then decide which voucher should be redeemed and when. This has the advantage over the first one as a random selection may mean that they pick all the costly ones out first and then get fed up with not spending for long periods of time. With a booklet you could even have "offer dates" to restrict the voucher.

In both ideas you could also include chores around the house. Its trite, I know, in this modern age but children remember memories - not expenses. My young neices and nephews still remember walking across Tar Steps or playing pooh sticks rather than how many times they went into an amusement park.

Hope these ideas help. x
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • abundant1972
    abundant1972 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 February 2013 at 12:21PM
    Hi everyone!

Just want to say I hold my hat off to all of you with kids! It must be incredibly hard at times...

My sister's kids get spoiled and they get new stuff... play with it for a week or two then are bored. They already have an expectation that they will 'get' when they go out... They must think me the scroogiest Uncle on the planet because although I get them a card for their birthday I don't buy them presents. Instead am putting £50 a year away and so somewhere between 18-21 I can give them £1000. They are still young - but am hoping as they get older I can give my sister a nudge to teach them how to budget... and learn about money, or else do it myself.

I don't know - but I think you can only do what you feel is best at the time, and hope it's right. My parents never talked to me about money and so consequently I grew up not knowing much about it. I wish they had - but I guess that was the way they were brought up.

Anyway... all advice on how to be a good Uncle would be gratefully received ha ha. I don't live near them so only see them a few times a year.

Keep up the good work. On the topic of holidays... My brother and his wife have invited me away in 2014 when I will be able to afford one for the first time in YEARS. We haven't decided where yet but it will be cool. Bring on the good times!!!

:cool:

Ps. Nanny - I am gay therefore by gay standards - 45 minutes is miniscule! For regular guys - subtract 40 minutes :D

PPs. One last word on the subject of beautifying cos am feeling bad that 'chin plucking' has been hi-lighted. I have worked in a hospital most of my life... seen women of all ages often brought in, in a hurry - without their trusted make-up bags and accessories... and trust me ladies when I say it's going to happen!!! In your 20's... 30's... 40's... who knows! Whilst we men seem to lose hair from our heads and have it come out our ears and noses (NICE! ) - you gals are headed for a beard that will rival Gandalf's! No escape. Life is cruel. Must have a word with our maker and ask what the *hell* were they thinking?!?!?! Am picturing us all typing away at our keyboards in say 20-30 years looking like the cast of 'The Hobbit'!!!

So there - I have identified
    one thing men do that most women don't! They even sell machines to shave nose hair!!! I'm going to cry I think!!! Santa would have that shoved up his jacksy if I unwrapped that on xmas morning I can tell you!!!

:santa2:
    DFD = August 2027 @ £250/month
    Follow your heart & be true to yourself always
    My life is full of abundance and prosperity
    NST Feb: Food & Spends = £216.51 / £290.00 NSD = 1 /15
    Be kind - Eat well - Exercise - Be mindful
  • Morning all.

Just popping in to confess that i spent £4.80 on veg today. I ahve used it to make a large batch of soup with a rather frosted looking ham hock that was lurking in the back of the freezer. This using up the freezer lark means that i am discovering all sorts and now have several shelves empty!

The soup will be my lunch for the next few days. Tea tonight is homemade beefburgers, slimming world chips and baked beans. Agian just using up the stores!

Looking forward to whatever Kat has in store for us. xx
    44 day challenge

2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
  • Good Morning folks....

I see the kiddie winkles are the topic of conversation this morning. And rightly so. I shall impart some NSK wisdom....as a non-child person feel free to throw said wisdom out a window...

The little people just need to know the value of value! Where some items are presented in beautiful packaging in stores on the high-street they are always going to be cheaper on line / in another store / just as good re-conditioned or on eBay.

In my own blog buried somewhere amoungst my witterings my mother would ask me some questions when I presented her with an item I wanted..
    1. How much is it?
    2. Do you NEED it?
    3. Then no.

I haven't lived entirely to this end ( see discription of dress - lol ) but I have ALWAYS refused to buy something I liked from a store without first researching where I could get it cheaper. So yes I have an ipod ( second hand ), a netbook ( re-conditioned ), amazing dresses ( second hand vintage found in stores "other" people wouldn't always go into), one-off 60's box bags found on eBay because I research names etc...

Your son is right about tea though Yorkshire - I am SO particular about it and would rather carry a flask of hot water and bits with me..Starbucks tea being the worst I have drank... and £1.80 is extortionate.

** Names shall not be used** - my brother worked briefly for a large Coffee emporium in my home town in Northern Ireland. This emporium was the only one of its kind in the area and was the highest earning of the entire UK enterprise. He recalls them running out of tea bags and being send to Mr A across the road and purchasing a horrific amount of "own brand" tea bags for 99p and the emporium selling them on to customers at £1.80 or more a cup. I now only use little independent cafe's. Keep the local businesses alive I say. Rant complete.

There is that risk that the youngster either turn into complete and utter stingy monsters OR go the opposite way and realise they can spend like lunatics when Mummy isn't watching... Its hard to balance things but I think you are doing more good than harm in the long run... maybe explaining to them where all the other money goes, why you are doing this and what ends up being lefts PLUS the need to budget for possible vehicle break down / unplanned trips to hospitals incurring public transport fees etc...

But this is what :money:Martin "All Hail" Lewis:money: is fighting for - better education regarding financial matters in schools... wonder how that is coming along actually..?

Ninno your ideas are great....

Happy the best memories I have of being a kid were three weeks camping by the beach...we never had foreign holidays when we were kids ( as I am sure most of you didn't ) and we turned out okay didn't we..?

Anyway.. I am working on March tonight.. be warned! :rotfl:
    It should be up and on the Forum on Monday Night...

Onwards and Upwards!!

P.S - Abundant you paint such a beautiful picture for me to welcome in 20 years..:rotfl:
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Re-Watching the "Ultimate Guide to Penny Pinching" on 4OD. Giving me some ideas ...Mwah ha ha ha ha haaa!
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Thought that I'd watch the prog as well and try to see what you are thinking of Kat. All I can say is PLEASE no road kill!!

In aware of the voucher lady. I never seem to find vouchers - must try emailing!
    44 day challenge

2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
  • Hi all

Some wise words there about kids and money. The thing is I know that my kids love their camping holidays, are happy to have second hand footie boots off ebay and accept that they cant have everything they want. Its just that we live in such a materialistic world and other kids seem to have everything.

My husband sometimes talks about his time growing up in a small town where no-one ever seemed to have any money. None of the kids had branded stuff and everyone was in the same boat. No-one bothered if you had a hand knitted school jumper or holes in your jeans because thats just how it was. I guess it wasnt all roses but it makes me feel sad that we now live in a world where you are judged by what you have rather than who you are. Ah well.

Love the idea about putting days out ideas on slips of paper in a jar. One thing we do sometimes is agree a budget for a day out and I then hand the money over to the kids in a purse and give them free reign to spend it how they choose. The only rule is that the budget has to cover everything. Its interesting seeing the choices they make about food and entertainment when they are in charge.

Oh and Abundant my boys have a long distance Uncle who they adore. He rarely buys them presents but plays endlessly with them when he visits. Sounds cheesy but having someone to play cricket on the beach for hours is appreciated far more than material stuff. You just need lots of energy and patience!!!

I have been busy doing a bit of batch cooking and I am now having a tea break. Cant decide whether to get the hoover out or light the fire and collapse on the sofa with my book. Mmm, difficult decision. But if I dont hoover today then I will just have to do it tomorrow.

Right, rambling over, off to do something productive (maybe!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure