Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    buglawton wrote: »
    This is why Aldi was out of stock on plain dark chocolate then. Had every other imaginable flavour, sea salt, mint... Because computer doesn't know plain is OOS.

I buy the 70% cocoa and that always comes up as ginger as well on the receipt.

This week I had to wade through an awful lot of ginger to find what I wanted!

cornucopia, have you tried the salmon in sauce or just seen it in store? It sounds delicious.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    maman wrote: »
    cornucopia, have you tried the salmon in sauce or just seen it in store? It sounds delicious.
    I've tried it, and it was a lovely treat. Quite thick, crisp skin, made me think of items made of fish leather, but thankfully didn't taste leathery.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2016 at 9:21PM
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    New Product Lines in Aldi....

Almond Milk (long life, sweetened or unsweetened). Next to the Soya Milk. 99p for 1L.

How good is it compared to the soya milk? I haven't really found an almond milk I like as much as soya (so far?) and I'm not sure why people prefer it.

Lidl do a good Red Bull-a-like. It tastes similar to Red Bull, though I think I prefer the Lidl version 'Stimulation Drink' version, as I tried it before Red Bull. (I didn't know Red Bull is vegan so never tried it.) I was surprised at how much Red Bull sends for. No wonder they can afford to sponsor two Formula One teams if they sell fizzy sugar water for that much.

EDIT: Oops! I've posted on the Stimulation Drink before. But, I hadn't drunk Red Bull at that time.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    I like Aldi's Red-Bull-a-like, and particularly the fact that I can get a single can of that, it's always available. I find it really hard to tell the difference.
    I noticed that the Radler was back in, in Aldi, and something I hadn't seen before, Aldi's Austin Pimms - a - like in a can with lemonade.
    Thinking of you all, I tried a can, and yes, it's very nice. They also had G&T in a can.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Updates from Aldi...

- Posh "Specially Selected" Brown Bread is now reduced further to 79p.

- New product - frozen healthy grains & veg mixes. £1.49 for 500g.

- New product - Pesto Mayonnaise.

- A large range of Gluten Free products are on special purchase - some of them seem to be much cheaper than similar products elsewhere.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I like Aldi's Red-Bull-a-like, and particularly the fact that I can get a single can of that, it's always available. I find it really hard to tell the difference.
    I noticed that the Radler was back in, in Aldi, and something I hadn't seen before, Aldi's Austin Pimms - a - like in a can with lemonade.
    Thinking of you all, I tried a can, and yes, it's very nice. They also had G&T in a can.

Poundland do a crate of 24 for £5. How does that compare to Aldi price?
  • I'm a bit peeved at Aldi now, the bread flour has gone, the ryvitas ( I know they were a special but still) and my favourite crisps (the sensations mix) so I will be doing my main shop in Lidl from now on.
    They didn't even have any 4 Pintas of milk in today! Poor stock control.
  • ladybabe
    ladybabe Posts: 374 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm a bit peeved at Aldi now, the bread flour has gone, the ryvitas ( I know they were a special but still) and my favourite crisps (the sensations mix) so I will be doing my main shop in Lidl from now on.
    They didn't even have any 4 Pintas of milk in today! Poor stock control.

i am also disappointed in the bread flour (or lack there of) and only pints of milk at my aldi this week :-(
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    At last......the English asparagus has arrived at Aldi. Late this year, but well priced at less than £6 per kilo. Less than half the price of the Waitrose equivalent too.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Poundland do a crate of 24 for £5. How does that compare to Aldi price?
    Poundland is cheaper, by 16p, Aldi's 6 pack is £1.29, so 4 x £1.29 = £5.16.
    However, Aldi's is really nice, no idea of the £land quality.

Aldi also do a 500ml can of energy drink for 49p. I had the diet version on Saturday and it was hard to tell the difference with expensive brands.

Lots of lovely cold meats in Aldi at the moment.

I was also chuffed at my reduced price leggings, love the Specialbuy reductions. £1.99!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure