Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.

Comments

• I think that Aiwa is made by Sony. I was looking for a radio CD cassette and found two identical looking models - one was Sony (£59) one Aiwa (£29). And of course if you search for Aiwa on google you get Aiwa.com listed as copyright Sony Corporation 2003. I assumed Aiwa get the cheap components and Sony just own them but perhaps not.
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Sainsbuys Butterlicious vegetable oil spread is the same as the Asda stuff must come from same factory as we have one at home wife works at Sainsburys and as they couldn't sell it it had Asda label on the top and Sainsbuys around the sides, about sells for around £1.50

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • Oh yeah, welcome to the site...You don't know Graham Cooke do you?

Please explain both these comments. The "oh yeah" comment sounds as though you don't believe the posting about Wilkinson Sword. Why not please? It sounds absolutely plausible even though it would be helpful to know where their other steel is made, if not in Sweden.

And, who is Graham Cooke in this context, please? I'm afraid the comment is lost on me.

Regards
    George
  • A lot of marks and spencers chocs and sweet stuff is made at the chocolate factory in Fakenham, norfolk, I have also bought stuff they make for morrisons and asda, I think all the bang on the door stuff and a hell of a lot of advent calenders and easter eggs come ffrom there as well. There was stuff on sale at marks for £9.99 at halloween time that I was buying at fakenham for 2.50 - bargain!
  • Bought a Bosch dishwasher 18 months ago. Identical to Hotpoint except one had square buttons and the other had oval buttons. All inner and outer parts were identical as they were both made by Bosch in Germany. Even the piece of wire tying up the mains cord was the same. Had just scrapped a hotpoint that had identical parts and the same wire tie but was 13 years old!

Bosch was £57 cheaper!

Have just bought a 17" Relysis Widescreen LCD TV /Monitor that was an exact copy of a better brand but had a better response time and a price tag £100 cheaper (can't remember the other brand).
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    Apparently Bourjois make up is made by Chanel (and is a lot cheaper) and I have been reliably informed that Clinique used to supply the skin care range for M&S - don't know whether they still do.

I recently bought a Sharp combi oven and was told in the shop that Panasonic make all the components, but the Panasonic combi is much more expensive.

I am terribly impressed with Asda's Xtra Special range having bought loads of stuff from them for Christmas - they must be made by someone good - any ideas?
  • lic
    lic Posts: 275 Forumite
    I recently bought a GORENJE washing machine from an independent supplier. The prorietor informed me that GORENJE were in fact BOSCH.
    The only diffence between the GORENJE machine and a BOSCH one, was the name on the front, as both were manufactured in a former eastern Block Country.
    Lic.
  • Martini
    Martini Posts: 607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    These companies are all Bosch owned.
    Blaupunkt (Blue Spot) - Car Radios etc.
    Atco and Qualcast - Garden tools.
    Dremmel - Small Drill.
    Bosch (obviously) and Skil power tools.
    Bosch, Continental and Neff - White goods (and Siemens have a close relationship).
    Worcester - Gas and Oil boilers.
    Keep Smiling
    :) Site member number 24 :)
  • burnham1
    burnham1 Posts: 858 Forumite
    bourjois make up range is all made by chanel, you can tell it is very good quality but is about 1/4 the price of chanel
    ADOPT DONT SHOP......🐕🐕🐕🐕
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    grahawk wrote:
    I think that Aiwa is made by Sony. I was looking for a radio CD cassette and found two identical looking models - one was Sony (£59) one Aiwa (£29). And of course if you search for Aiwa on google you get Aiwa.com listed as copyright Sony Corporation 2003. I assumed Aiwa get the cheap components and Sony just own them but perhaps not.

Aiwa has been part of Sony for a long time. Quite often the Aiwa products are just Sony ones with different styling and cheaper.
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family