Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    When had you bought them previously? I never realised they were undervalued
    Warren Buffet, considers it to have been a miss-step by Kraft CEO to have paid so much for Cadbury though that may have been more to do with it involving a large amount of Kraft stock which he felt was undervalued. It is rare for Buffet to come out an publicly disagree with a deal by a company in which he is a shareholder, which shows how strongly he disagreed.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    They seem to be on a high pe but maybe that matches the margins available on such brands

I would not have thought to buy shares in chocolate during a recession but the people of uk are hardly poor. Maybe thats why dominos pizza doubled from people switching from restaurants to take away, the poor blighters
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    They seem to be on a high pe but maybe that matches the margins available on such brands

I would not have thought to buy shares in chocolate during a recession but the people of uk are hardly poor. Maybe thats why dominos pizza doubled from people switching from restaurants to take away, the poor blighters

That's what I thought, but no matter how bad things get people will always buy chocolate and Pizza, comfort foods.

Did not bother with the Kraft shares, just took the cash.
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Did not bother with the Kraft shares, just took the cash.
    If Buffet is right then that's a shame, but who knows, he did say that in divesting a pizza business that they did for some reason in order to secure this deal, he felt they were not as undervalued afterwards as they were before, but still undervalued.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • kolin_2
    kolin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

I've been looking at using HSBC's InvestDirect Service for sharedealing, but there is one thing that i'm confused about. The advertising blurb says

"InvestDirect is very competitively priced. We do not charge you for opening, closing or transferring shares in or out of your account, nor do we charge any inactivity or management fees."

However their Charges/Fees document shows.

"Other Fees and Charges
    HSBC UK Funds of Funds – Initial Charge 1% taken from
    your original investment.
    Annual Management charge 1.25%
    "

So is there an annual/Initial charge or not.

ALSO,

Can anyone recommend any good books to read to learn about sharedealing?

Ta.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The
    InvestDirect is very competitively priced. We do not charge you for opening, closing or transferring shares in or out of your account, nor do we charge any inactivity or management fees.

is for shares.

The AMC and Initial charge is for funds.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Is that zero commission on share deals
  • fullstop
    fullstop Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    "When the Government borrows, the citizen has to save".

Machiavellii
  • merriemark
    Options
    Hi,

I am keen to get into this and would love to know which online trader you now think is the best! thanks guys! I love the site and it has saved me £££s!
  • Rank_90
    Options
    The trades transactions are cheap at £12.95 and the more you do the less it costs (the next month). I think you have to do 15 (which I hardly do) to qualify for the discount of £9.95 per trade.

The research side and the stock alearts are good too. Some really good tools on there. But for more detailed research documents go to piconsortium.co.uk sign up for free and get alearts sent to you when a new research document arrives, its made me a few grand.

Good Luck all!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure