What should my next step be?

Options
Hello,
So I'm 19 working part time and I'm in nearly 3k debts.
I don't know why I did this. It's now causing me to struggle. I really want help with it. What should my next step be?

Comments

• undlou
    undlou Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Visit DFW board (as linked above) for debt advice, someone will be able to help you :)
    My old materialistic lifestyle left me in debt worth £38,250.

Current debt balance £35,966 16/07/2018
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stesmith98 wrote: »
    Hello,
    So I'm 19 working part time and I'm in nearly 3k debts.
    I don't know why I did this. It's now causing me to struggle. I really want help with it. What should my next step be?

Stop spending money on crap, you're not buying any new clothes or going on a night out or a holiday for some time. Time to tighten up your belt, keep all spending to a minimum not even buying a Greggs or a Costa Coffee until you've got on top of it.

Get another job either to replace the part time one or in addition to it, sell stuff you don't need or no longer use.

Cutting down your outgoings and increasing your income is the only way out of this.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to address the reason you have the debt - it may happen again if you don't.

Earn more, spend less - pay off as much as possible as soon as possible.

Most importantly learn from this - set up a budget for the future and always spend less than you earn ;)
    You are young enough to learn from your mistakes - make sure you do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family