PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• xironsongx
    xironsongx Posts: 145 Forumite
    Okay so i've been paid and here's the update:

Budget
    £210 for online
    £40.00 for little bits

So far;
    £8.00 spent on today's lunch for me & OH as we have not been able to get our shopping deleveried as it will come tomorrow

= £202 left to spend
    :heart: Engaged 01-09-17 :heart: Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save:heart:
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hope everyone is getting on ok!

I've been pretty good about not popping to shops - I needed a few fresh bits on Tuesday annoyingly so had 3 little spends - Tesc0 at lunch for a couple of things for lunch, and then big Tesc0 and Ald1 after work... less than a tenner spent overall though and I'm fairly pleased with where I am in the month. Not perfect, but doing ok.

I've done about half of a meal plan to try and make use of what's in my fridge currently... I'll be doing my shop tomorrow as I have the day off so no point rushing about tonight when I would usually do it!

Plus, I've decided to make more use of the veg man as you get such cheap deals, and he is only there Friday and Saturday each week, so I want to restructure my shopping slightly to accomodate this... perhaps look at doing the supermarket stuff on Thursday nights and pop to veg man straight from work Fridays so I'm not doing everything in one go. The whole point of going Thursdays is the Friday night is really a horrible time to do the supermarkets, so I do want to avoid that still! Thursdays work well for me!

Tonight I'm having a portion of spag bol from the freezer with linguine probably and the end of a bendy broccoli and some green beans.

...............................£250 Budget
    Date.......Shop......Amount....Remaining
    24 Feb.....Ocad0.....£75.04....£174.96(STOCK)
    24 Feb.....Sains.....£19.55....£155.41(WEEK 1)
    24 Feb.....Tesc0.....£61.19.....£94.22(WEEK 1)
    24 Feb.....A1di......£03.18.....£91.04(WEEK 1)
    1 Mar......Tesc0.....£32.38.....£58.66(WEEK 2)
    6 Mar......Tesc0.....£03.24.....£55.42(WEEK 2)
    6 Mar......A1di......£01.45.....£53.97(WEEK 2)
    6 Mar......Tesc0.....£04.55.....£49.42(WEEK 2)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    £42 spent today mainly on food for Saturday as catering for 9! Total so far for March is £68/£150
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2018 at 2:10PM
    Yesterday spent £1.02 on bananas in the Co-op, as i had to pick up a Click and Collect from the Tesco virtually next door. I went in for air freshener which is vegan, but they don't sell their own brand in this particular store; so had to get DD1 to get it today as she is passing another store whilst visiting her friend.

Currently planning what to buy from Aldi with my Dad later. Haven't been for about a month due to work and college, snow and his car being in for an M.O.T. I also have Ocado coming for some food items and Astonish stuff. Although Aldi's toiletries, cleaning and cosmetics are now officially Cruelty Free registered they are not vegan.

Have forgotten to add the delivery pass of £6.99 for Ocado too, so will add that and pre-empted amount of £14.00 for Ocado delivery tonight ( toiletries and beauty etc isn't included in my budget ...it's purely food).
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • K9sandFelines
    edited 12 March 2018 at 9:32PM
    Have £8.60 to add now for 2 Granovita vegetable spreads and 2 x Merdidian 1kg peanut butter. Got BOGOHP and 20FREE gives 20% off plus free delivery and £2.00 off in H&B points at Holland and Barrett. Hopefully the peanut butter at least should last some time. Costs £10 ish normally for roughly 1kg when Meridian is on offer in supermarkets.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
  • Afternoon everyone. We did end up spending at the grocery store last night during our reconnaissance trip. :D OH paid for everything because 95% of what we got was for him. He went nuts when he found his favourite smoothies (finally!), and declared that we were going back there for our stock up trips. I found several items that I haven't been able to find in the smaller neighbourhood stores and OH found HP sauce and was so happy! He audibly gasped when he saw it. Plus, it only cost €2.85 which is really cheap for imported HP sauce. The rest of the stuff he bought was yoghurt for himself, smoothies, the HP sauce and a few other things I've wiped from my memory due to work stress. :)

So the spends for me were (that OH paid for):

€3.94 - for a regular pack of bacon and for a more high end pack of bacon. I wanted to compare the two at some point. The latter looked much meatier and but also fattier in a good way.

Totals So Far:
    €97.74 / €400.00
    5/10 NSD
    £0/£150 UK stock up

My freezer is insanely full of proteins, mixed up meatballs, frozen veg and hm ready made dinners
    for OH. I really must stop buying and I will. The only shopping I'll probably do between now and next week will likely be for berries or a couple of toiletries.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    £11.47 on a quick flit into Tosco chicken for the dog chocolate for me, and Wilkos, as I can never just walk past.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Hiya just done a shop at Aldi which brings me to £150/ £200 for the month as I won't go shopping again before pay day (15th) and for me my month runs 15th-15th x
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • K9sandFelines
    I spent £60 odd pound at Aldi, and that included a Dairy free egg for GD1 and a bottle of Creme Caramel liquor (would recommend this to anybody wanting to try, it's like dessert in a glass).

I need to bring total to £92.04
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Did my main shop at Ald! today spent £57.98, but realised when I got home that the checkout assistant has missed a half price label, so returned this evening and got a refund and bought some squash too as I forgot earlier, so another £2.32 to add.

The shopping should last most of the week, will need to get more bread and milk probably on monday.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family