Options

Comments

• One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 August 2020 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Thank you :)

Next on the list...it's time to switch electricity suppliers again! I still need to go through the suggestions already made, but so far I've found a £26/month saving plus £16 cashback. That's more than 25% of the money I want to free up in one hit. Not a job for a Friday night though.
    Happy weekend everyone!
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
  • :beer: happy weekend too
  • One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 February 2018 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Oh dear, a proper wobble was had this afternoon. I was helping my husband move something heavy, we got a bit uncoordinated and my finger got squashed. A few minutes under a cold tap and it was obvious there was no lasting damage, but the couple of tears that came out turned into a full-on deluge, and it took me more than an hour to stop crying. H felt awful because he had to go out, but tbh it was less embarrassing for me to just wave him off and then carry on bawling without witnesses! I haven't had a really good cry since before a health scare last year and I know I've been bottling a few things up more than was good for me, so it's been coming for a while.

I cracked on with getting organised this afternoon and put a few pics of things for sale on Facebook in advance of putting them on eBay, and three have gone for a total of £80! :j Feels like a good start. I so want to get my own CC debt below 30k, so £650.86 is my short-term target. This afternoon has got me 12% of the way there! One bite at a time... The next few things need to be plugged in and tested before I can put them up, so that'll be tomorrow's job - time to call it a night!
  • strawberryfield2233
    Options
    Sorry to hear you hurt your finger and glad no lasting damage. As for being upset, I think its perfectly understandable and much better out than bottled up. I am sure you will get a hug later when he is back. You have been dealing with a lot with health and money issues, but from what you are saying you are taking good positive action on the money side, yes it is a big effort and will take time but it can be done. The £80 is good and the target for under £30k is achievable.
    Also for what its worth today was not the best son has started with chicken pox! Not too bad at the moment but we will see how that goes.
    Anyway hope you get some rest and feel better for getting your feelings out Tc
  • One-step-at-a-time
    Options
    Oh no, what rotten luck with the chicken pox! I hope it hasn't hit him too hard :( .

Thank you - today is a much better day, much happier all round.
    I decided to wait until payday to do the energy supplier switch - the last thing I want is a new direct debit going out alongside the old suppliers' final bills on what's likely to be the most financially precarious month of the year. Our energy bills are pretty up to date, but the final EDF one might bite me in the bum a bit if I'm not careful with timing. Provided the First Utility deal I've found is still around then, we're looking at £400 savings over the year, and £40 cashback. Waiting before switching may be a *bit* of a gamble but better than accidentally falling foul of my overdraft!

I've managed to shift another £40 in sales via Facebook today, so grand total £120 for the weekend (£50 has gone to MBNA already), and a bonus 10p I found on the floor on the way to Sainsburys to buy milk.
    Tomorrow I will indulge in a free bar of Dairy Milk courtesy of Shopmium :j:j:j :)

Hubby's debt-busting effort today is to try to get himself through the selection process for a company that provides freelance closed-captioning work. He's a language and grammar pedant, a decent typist and great with video editing and tech in general, so it seems like fit for him. Pay not fabulous, but it's designed to be a flexible thing to fit around free time. Hoping he gets accepted and it's not one of those 'too good to be true' things!

From next week I'm going to start putting progress in the diary in list form, so it'll be easier for me to look back and see what we've been up to.
  • strawberryfield2233
    Options
    Good to hear you have had a better day:)
    Re the pox still early days, hubby hasn’t had it though :eek:

Seems like more good progress being made and as for the dairy milk chocolate :EasterBun :D things always taste better when they are free! TC
  • One-step-at-a-time
    Options
    strawberryfield2233 I have my fingers crossed he doesn't get hit with shingles! :eek:
  • strawberryfield2233
    Options
    strawberryfield2233 I have my fingers crossed he doesn't get hit with shingles! :eek:

:wave:Thanks One Step, we are awaiting the full monty he did not have chicken pox as a child but we have been very un-mse and paid for vaccine at superdrug (which may reduce severity etc) so very much fingers crossed!

Well done on latest money tasks, the Amazon Vouchers could help with present buying later in year too :)
  • One-step-at-a-time
    Options
    I'm fighting a mighty dollop of anxiety today. My brain decided that 5am was the perfect time to wake me up with various financial fears, and by the time I got up for work I was exhausted.

It's very difficult to get out of the habit of overthinking myself into a corner; as soon as one fear is alleviated, another seems to take its place. I will be so glad when February is done and dusted. By March everything will be in place, one way or another, and I can start just getting on with things.
  • strawberryfield2233
    Options
    One-Step, things always seem worse when tired/or you wake and start thinking about things. Take it easy today. If you are able to get fresh air to clear your head or a little walk at lunch/on the way home it might help.
    Not sure but perhaps the wine request might have thrown you a bit perhaps a budget needed for treats so you dont get surprise requests. At least February is a short month so wont be long before you are more fixed in what your budgets will be. Sometimes when I look on the threads it does say about sorting emergency fund even if you are repaying debt so might be something to think about to make you feel more secure as a long term thing started off small.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback