£50k to zero - made it across the finish line

Comments

• One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 February 2018 at 11:58AM
    Morning all!

I had a night off from overthinking. Did a quick yellow label check on the way home, hoping to find some salmon, and got enough for dinner for a mere £1.14! Also picked up 16 wholemeal tortilla wraps for 48p, which is enough for 3 weeks of work lunches if I freeze them. This is the only money I have spent this week :)

Today before work I did one of the balance transfers:
    Step 1: Move £2k from 4.9% for 18 months to 4.9% for 2 years - Done
    Step 2: Use the space freed up on card 1 to move £3k at 17.9% from card 2 back to 4.9% for 18 months on card 1. In order to to this I had to order a replacement MBNA card because the Halifax doesn't let you do a transfer without having the card expiry date, which I no longer have as I stupidly destroyed the physical card before making a note of it (that won't happen this time though I WILL still destroy the card). As long as the card is here before the end of the month I have time to do this.
    This will leave only £2061 at 17.9% by the time the March statement arrives.
    It all makes more sense on my spreadsheet, which I've now added extra lines to and put in order of APR and expiry date and colour coded so it's patently obvious where the priority is for any spare money I get (I do like spreadsheets and card tetris).

The only thing I have to do today is get together a couple of bank statements and do some printing for a meeting tomorrow to figure out the debt-to-be situation.
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
  • Good progress!
    Oh and enjoy the Salmon :D very good bargain that!
  • One-step-at-a-time
    edited 13 August 2020 at 1:48PM
    Today's find - I'm currently paying £18/month for my phone SIM. I can move to £12/month which includes twice as much data as I ever use, and has £45 back through topcashback, effectively bringing the phone cost down to £8.25/month (and if I chuck that £45 cashback at MBNA it will save me a further £8 in interest over the year on top of the extra £6/month that can go elsewhere). If there is no small print to contradict me, I think that sounds like a plan!
  • Holy moly! Turns out the new mobile deal may also qualify me for a prepaid £60 BT reward card. I like today!
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sounds like a great mse day to me... Keep going...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • One-step-at-a-time
    edited 13 August 2020 at 1:49PM
    Today is the day I will hopefully get confirmation of the number to be added to the debt.
    Breathe, drink coffee, eat breakfast, and don't panic.
  • Whatever that figure turns out to be you say you can cover extra £400 per month without changing anything, so I would hold on to that thought, hoping it will be the lower end figure but if not you will be ok according to your SOA, All the best.
  • One-step-at-a-time
    edited 13 August 2020 at 1:49PM
    Thank you for the good wishes Strawberryfield2233 :)

Well, we won't know for sure until the submission is made and accepted, but it appears to be as good as I could have hoped for! My accountant is confident that we're at the lower end and that it'll have to be paid off with an initial sum and the rest over a year. I was (unrealistically) hoping for 18-24 months, but a year isn't impossible.

This means with the sum I can offer upfront taken off, the payments *should* be around £475 per month, and I may be owed a rebate from another period that could offset the total by as much as £700. So all being well I can say goodbye to this chapter by next March, and be back on track again! :D

Right now I'm aiming to tweak the SOA by £100 per month, starting with the £6/month I've just saved on the phone bill, and while I'm waiting for the paperwork containing the scary number (which should be prepared by Tuesday) I'm going to go into eBay dynamo mode, and see if I can't kick-start this thing by a couple of hundred quid.
  • Hope it all gets confirmed soon :)
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Fingers crossed it goes your way.

Tx
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure