2017 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks frugaldom- you are a gem x
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • I have put a plea on the 2017 Grocery Challenge page about a spreadsheet.
  • angelicious
    angelicious Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January 2017 at 12:10PM
    Morning all and happy new year to everyone!!

So off to a frugal start here, 1st day of the year was a NSD for me. Also went through the gifts I got for Christmas, there's one I don't particularly want so have decided to hold onto it and regift this next year. Can't believe I'm starting to think so far ahead, a new notion for me lol!!!!

I really want to boost my earnings and savings this year so I'll be doing as much as I can to bring in extra money and as much as I can to hold onto this money. Another area I need to concentrate on is my home. It is so full of stuff at the minute that needs to go. So this year a bit effort will be spend on selling all of this. It's a mammoth task to be honest but I need to get cracking with it and get some control over my home again lol!!! Will also be focusing on loosing weight and getting healthier this year. I have a lot of weight to lose but am determined this will be the year I do something about it.
    Save £12k in 2024 - £0/25,000
  • Hi everyone. Read through this thread yesterday and was inspired as I always am! Frugaldom I just don't know how you are able to live on such a low expenditure. I take my hat off to you as I've been working out my figures and it is coming in at just under £16600. Even taking out our housing costs it comes out at £10252 and I honestly think I have cut all expenditure down as much as possible without my oh deciding to leave me! (he's certainly not on the same extreme page I am with frugalling) So that's my budget I will try to stick to it or bring it in under.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Thanks Frugaldom thats a big help but I will try to check out with CW18 to see if hers did the even more in depth one.
    Happy New Year x
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    Thanks Frugaldom thats a big help but I will try to check out with CW18 to see if hers did the even more in depth one.
    Happy New Year x
    Private Message me an email address and I'll get a copy over to you later today. Needs tweaking for the new year and I'm just about to head out for a walk, but I can get it done later this afternoon / early this evening :)
    Cheryl
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi all, I'm back, ( what do you mean, you hadn't noticed I was missing!) Well last year the target was £8000. Didn't make it, I think we spent about £9000. Stayed within budget for food and bills, went over on the car, DD, and "everything else". Still managed to add around £2500 to savings, so not a disaster. This year I plan to do better. I'm not going to start with categories, but am aiming for £9000 total spend for the year. This will include £1000 gift for DD2, for her wedding. Watch this space! Happy new frugal year to you all, M2m.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Have to shift my budgets a little bit after a mad panic yesterday when OH bought Printer Paper and I didn't have a category to pay him for my half of the paper.

So SOCIAL Budget is now £25 a month/£300 a year and HOME is £2.50 a month/£30 a year.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cw18
    Thanks for all your help getting started.
    Does anyone else find it a struggle to figure out the best way of doing all this as a couple? I find it difficult to share the detail of every purchase. We both just do our best and put what we can into joint account. Now we are on very different incomes we've fallen into OH covering mortgage payments and bills while I cover groceries.
    I wonder if we need a better approach or whether to just focus on the money I spend etc.
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • mumtoomany
    mumtoomany Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hi all, so far have spent £24.99. £10 for OH's birthday present. £5 on chocolates and crackers for next Christmas, ( well hidden so won't be touched till then), £1 on dog treats, and £10.99 on milk, eggs, ( I think our hens are on strike,) and reduced stewing steak for the freezer. That was on the 1st. since then no spends at all. Will get milk again, probably bread and nappies for "sprout" on the 5th when we collect DD4 from the station, she's been away for Christmas.
    Today having a brace of partridge for tea, from a neighbour. Slow cooked with left over cranberry sauce, some onions and claret. Hope it tastes ok!
    M2m.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2023.
    Trying to live on only £2640 for the year for most meals for seven people. Now only feeding, mostly, two. New total £1860.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414174/im-back-trying-to-spend-less-on-food#latest
    Spent in 2023: £1846.53/£1860. Now on £96.08 for 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport