985 Experian score yet refused credit card???

Options
Hi everyone

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this rather baffling situation.

I have a free experian account and can see my score is 985, no further info available on there so have just attempted to sign up via the MSE Credit Club...got as far as Step 2 and it said i couldn't go any further as my identity could not be confirmed. I checked all the details entered and eveything was spot on, full name, all previous addresses etc.

I'm wondering whether this identity issue has led to me being rejected for a credit card recently applied for when to the best of my knowledge there is nothing on my creidt file which should have resulted in a rejection.

I also have a Noddle report which shows no issues. There was a charge on there for a utility bill which was not mine and has since been removed when i disputed this with Noddle.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's because the credit score is made up and therefore of no use to anyone.

Can you access your full report through Experian? There should be no difference with the MSE club, as they use Experian.

Also check Equifax.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's because the credit score is made up and therefore of no use to anyone.

Can you access your full report through Experian? There should be no difference with the MSE club, as they use Experian.

Also check Equifax.

Check Call credit too via Noodle

You can check Equifax via Clearscore.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    If MSE credit club has given the response that they couldn't identify you then it is a distinct possibility that the lender couldn't identify you either. Have you tried any other eligibility checkers to see what sort of results you get? Have you actually checked your credit files to see if a search has appeared anywhere in relation to the declined application? If no, then this may well be the answer.
    Alternatively, there could be a number of other reasons for the refusal. Assuming nothing untoward on your credit files, it could be something like high existing balances, length of time in employment. length of time at current address, insufficient income or perceived over commitment etc or perhaps simply that you are not what that particular lender is looking for as a customer.
    Use an eligibility checker, make sure you can be identified, find a card w.ith a good chance of acceptance and apply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure