Comments

• Theta101
    Theta101 Posts: 140 Forumite
    Electricity Standing Charge From: 19.05 To: 24.77 Increase: 5.72 30.03 %
    Electricity Unit Rate From: 12.15 To: 13.74 Increase: 1.59 13.09 %

Gas Standing Charge From: 20.00 To: 21.90 Increase: 1.90 9.50 %
    Gas Unit Rate From: 2.29 To: 3.38 Increase: 1.09 47.60 %

Projected Yearly Cost From: £924 To: £1,213 Increase: £289 31.28 %
  • just to balance this out despite my problems with Toto (i joined in may 2017) when i joined via MSE CEC did clearly say it was a variable tariff and prices can change, clue in the name 'Toto discount variable saver', and it was the 12 months contract which was fixed, therefore i don't think Toto have done anything wrong, though i have checked my welcome pack and sure enough it does say price guaranteed until 12/5/18, but i think its a misprint, how can a variable tariff be fixed, a bit of a contradiction in terms .

all being well ill be joining new comapny next week (i was already going to leave prior to price increase) and good riddance to Toto
  • The Tariff details we received (in a pdf attached to their Welcome email) when we switched to TOTO w.e.f. o2 May 2017 were crystal clear (their choice of wording)!:
    Tariff end on: 01 May 2018
    Price guaranteed until: 01 May 2018
    There is NO mention on this sheet of a right to vary these GUARANTEED prices during the stated period, so this forms the basis of the contract between us. It doesn't matter what they call the Tariff, they are bound by the terms they set out.
    TOTO can't , in my opinion (as a retired Solicitor) rely on any 'small print' hidden in their terms and conditions to vary these specific terms - they gave an unqualified cast-iron guarantee here to hold these prices for a fixed period - no 'ifs' or 'buts' - so they are in breach of contract.
    Needless to say, we are leaving these clowns, switching to TOTO was a big mistake, the admin has been absolutely hopeless, and we have also been repeatedly pressured with nuisance calls and even an unannounced visit to accept a 'smart meter' against our stated wishes (even told, wrongly, it was compulsory!!) - that complaint is now with the Energy Ombudsman! TOTO will have to learn the hard way!
  • h1ubs
    h1ubs Posts: 20 Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your posts. We've written a news story on it:

Thanks Andrea and MSE, but you seem to be missing the point. The actual developing news STORY is not the ridiculous and unjustifiable price rises but the fact that customers were guaranteed their prices for 12 months. As yet they don't appear to have a response to the confused situation .. hopefully senior management and their lawyers will come clean soon.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 8 December 2017 at 11:04PM
    *Checks Pre-Payment meter*
    Nope I'm still on the tariff I signed up for in March.
    And I've not received any letter about a price increase.

[strike] Anyone know if it's just the credit tariffs that's affected?[/strike]
    Just read the article. Ignore me ;)
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    h1ubs wrote: »
    It's interesting to see how the increases appear to vary across the regions. The MSE news item linked above suggests that some rises are to be as much as 25 %.
    My current Gas Unit Rate is 2.48p per KWh. The new rate will be 3.50p per KWh. Now it's a while since I did my Maths O Level but I make that an increase of around 41 %.
    Despite that totally ridiculous and unjustifiable rise due to 'wholesale price increases', my biggest gripe (as I might have said ) is the contractual information provided in the welcome pack which included a "Price Guarantee for 12 months". Still awaiting some clarification.

I was with them briefly.Like all new suppliers they undercut on price comparision to build a customer base then because of "market factors and conditions" much like Robin Hood the price hikes are well into the double figures.

For me the price savings were practically nothing over British Gas on prepayment tariffs.At least British Gas do answer the phone.
  • jrh2254
    jrh2254 Posts: 35 Forumite
    h1ubs wrote: »
    Thanks Andrea and MSE, but you seem to be missing the point. The actual developing news STORY is not the ridiculous and unjustifiable price rises but the fact that customers were guaranteed their prices for 12 months. As yet they don't appear to have a response to the confused situation .. hopefully senior management and their lawyers will come clean soon.

Agree we need the lawyers to tell us how they can claim my price guarantee to 2nd May 2018 can be changed , whether TOTO call it a 'variable' tariff or not.
    Seems bizarre that I could potentially be charged an early exit fee (£10 for each fuel , so £20 in total, when they change the price!). I don't want a waiver on the exit fees , I want the price guarantee until 2nd May 2018.
    We should be taking this to the Energy Ombudsman.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jrh2254 wrote: »
    Agree we need the lawyers to tell us how they can claim my price guarantee to 2nd May 2018 can be changed , whether TOTO call it a 'variable' tariff or not.
    Seems bizarre that I could potentially be charged an early exit fee (£10 for each fuel , so £20 in total, when they change the price!). I don't want a waiver on the exit fees , I want the price guarantee until 2nd May 2018.
    We should be taking this to the Energy Ombudsman.

It is not an Ombudsman issue as to date no one has been financially disadvantaged, as far as I can tell, from the above posts. I suggest that it is more properly an issue for the Regulator to adjudicate on.

It would make sense for all those affected to e-mail consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk with copies of their Welcome Letter and other supporting evidence.
  • Toto,

Your customer service line is appalling, i could never get through first time and when i received a call back it was 4 hours later and i didn't have the details i wanted to discuss. Total waste of time!

I applied to switch to your company from BG on the 23 Aug 2017, my electricity changed over in Sept (happy) however my gas didn't switch over until 26 November. During the gas switch i was paying BG and Toto at the same time! Seriously not good, AVOID at all costs!

To top it off, Toto hike their prices without real justification, for that reason "I'm out!

I have informed Toto that i will be switching, a condition you must do before before 03 Jan 18 if you wish to avoid exit fees.

Breeze energy, here i come!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Toto,

Your customer service line is appalling, i could never get through first time and when i received a call back it was 4 hours later and i didn't have the details i wanted to discuss. Total waste of time!

I applied to switch to your company from BG on the 23 Aug 2017, my electricity changed over in Sept (happy) however my gas didn't switch over until 26 November. During the gas switch i was paying BG and Toto at the same time! Seriously not good, AVOID at all costs!

To top it off, Toto hike their prices without real justification, for that reason "I'm out!

I have informed Toto that i will be switching, a condition you must do before before 03 Jan 18 if you wish to avoid exit fees.

Breeze energy, here i come!

For those thinking about switching, there is no requirement to inform the losing supplier that you intend to switch. This notification is given to the losing supplier via industry procedures once you have signed up to a new supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure