Section 75 Protection credit card Enquiry

Hi,

We having new windows/doors fitted, half the job is done so far however we have a dispute on the windows themselves being smaller causing huge gaps as well as other issues.

We addressed the issues to the director of the window company and the directors says he now wants 70% of the deposit instead of the original 20% stated on the contract otherwise they wont continue the works.

If we agree to increase the deposit now to 70% for the sake of completing the job after this wrong size windows dispute then am I still entitled for the section 75 credit card refund for what amount? How does it work?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you have paid any amount on a card, then any Section 75 complaint would cover - or not - the entire amount.

Remember that Section 75 isn't an automatic refund. It gives you the same rights against the card provider as the supplier.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Section 75 covers breach of contract, but I'd be claiming the money NOW and getting someone else to sort this out.

If any of the sum is paid by Credit Card, it protects the purchase.

I think you'd be a bit mad to agree to give these guys more money, especially outside of a contract to correct their mess up.

Edit: See here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What about paying them more money after dispute for the sake of getting it completed, after this am I still entitled so section 75?

If i pay the more money by cash am I protected?

If they breach the contract by asking for money and if we agree to pay them more money am I still entitled to section 75?

What if they provide a new updated receipt/contract to reflect the more money deposit, can section 75 apply to more than 1 contract with the same company?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    bery_451 wrote: »
    What about paying them more money after dispute for the sake of getting it completed, after this am I still entitled so section 75?

If i pay the more money by cash am I protected?

If they breach the contract by asking for money and if we agree to pay them more money am I still entitled to section 75?

What if they provide a new updated receipt/contract to reflect the more money deposit, can section 75 apply to more than 1 contract with the same company?

post 2 covers it
  • bery_451
    post 2 covers it

If you have paid any amount on a card, then any Section 75 complaint would cover - or not - the entire amount.

Remember that Section 75 isn't an automatic refund. It gives you the same rights against the card provider as the supplier.

Ok post 2 above can you please clarify as I dont understand of what constitutes a or not the entire amount?

does it has to be in 1 amount on card or can be few amounts for the same order?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Section 75 potentially covers you for the full amount that you pay for a product or service, regardless of payment schedule or means of payment, as long as some amount has been paid on a credit card.
  • bery_451
    edited 9 November 2017 at 7:28PM
    Section 75 potentially covers you for the full amount that you pay for a product or service, regardless of payment schedule or means of payment, as long as some amount has been paid on a credit card.

Ok if we breach the contract by me paying more towards the deposit after the window size dispute is known between us then am I still entitled to section 75 protection?

Will the credit card company say after window size dispute why did I pay them more money?
  • derps
    derps Posts: 137 Forumite
    Yeah contracts can be renegotiated so if you decide to change the original agreement and pay more, the credit card company could argue that you agreed to the windows as they are.

I would personally not pay extra for the wrong windows and immediately demand that they fit windows consistent with the original contract for the originally agreed price, failing which you will make a s.75 claim.
  • bery_451
    derps wrote: »
    Yeah contracts can be renegotiated so if you decide to change the original agreement and pay more, the credit card company could argue that you agreed to the windows as they are.

I would personally not pay extra for the wrong windows and immediately demand that they fit windows consistent with the original contract for the originally agreed price, failing which you will make a s.75 claim.

Ok understood many thanks.
  • bery_451
    Finally in regards to section 75 claim does the credit card company chase the business to recover funds or credit card company refunds consumer with its own card company money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure