Regular Savings Accounts Article Discussion

Comments

• mary
    mary Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    No, some of us "oldies" have been aware of this for a long time. Open at the end of the month and then put in a second payment a couple of days later in the subsequent month.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've just had a call from Santander reminding me that my Regular eSaver will mature in a month or so. Does anybody know if you can open a new Regular eSaver (Issue 3) before the old one has matured?

Thanks
    Stompa
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    You can't have two as an individual. I think many of us have tried that! I did a couple of weeks ago.

It's a pity you missed the opportunity to ask when they phoned.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    mhoc wrote: »
    Last month I opened a Leeds BS issue 4 regular saver which again I didn't online and I just sent a cheque.
    The £6000 limit is slightly worrying but is it likely that this account will still be functioning in 2 years time?
    If the account is still functioning, the solution is to make use of your one permitted annual withdrawal to create space in the account for future minimum subscriptions without breaching the £6000 limit.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    schiff wrote: »
    You can't have two as an individual. I think many of us have tried that! I did a couple of weeks ago.

It's a pity you missed the opportunity to ask when they phoned.

Yes I know, he caught me at a busy moment unfortunately. I know he said it could be opened in branch or by phone, but not online. And since I assumed he was angling to get me in branch (to sell me something or other) I said I'd open it by phone..
    Stompa
  • dekkard
    dekkard Posts: 229 Forumite
    fyi, anyone can open multiple Regular E-Savers with Virgin Money as long as the accounts have different issue numbers.

I had an issue 1 account and just also opened an issue 3. Virgin Money themselves confirmed that doing this is allowed.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dekkard wrote: »
    fyi, anyone can open multiple Regular E-Savers with Virgin Money as long as the accounts have different issue numbers.

I had an issue 1 account and just also opened an issue 3. Virgin Money themselves confirmed that doing this is allowed.

Discussed here some time ago (post 4869 onwards)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=608697&page=244

It would have been possible to have all 3 Virgin Regular E Savers, and the 2 branch based versions, if you had been quick;).
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dekkard wrote: »

thanks for this, after reading this I did the same.

Do any Virgin Money experts know if you have 2 online regular savers if you can also open one in branch?
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    For anyone with a very old Yorkshire Building Society regular saver issue 2 the interest rate is decreasing from 7th March 2017 – probably all of the YBS savings accounts are doing the same.
    It was 0.75% with 2% conditional bonus total 2.75% gross but it will now be 0.50% with 2% conditional bonus total 2.50% so still a very good rate.
    This is a closed account but the conditions were that you had to save at least £10 a month for at least 11 months out of 12 and only one withdrawal in any account year to keep the bonus. You also could only close your account at the end of your account year or you would lose the bonus.
    The good news is that the maximum you can save each month is now increasing from £250 to £500 from March 1st.
    The bad news is that the account has a maximum holding balance of £20,000 which includes any interest or bonus. As you get over the £19 mark then it’s worth doing your one annual withdrawal and/or reducing down your monthly standing order. If you go over £20K you won’t get your full interest or bonus.
    I did an amusing calculation as to which year it would be that my YBS account would get to that £19K point and made a note of it on the Google calendar for future housekeeping.
    But then I thought I have a 4 year fixed rate ISA which will be reaching its final days next year and the contents of it will either have to be re invested somewhere (or spent!) ….
    YBS only has this regular saver open now paying 1.75% - open in branch or by post, up to £500 a month for up to 2 years, one withdrawal per year, one account per person. It is through open to anyone over the age of 11.
    I think only one regular saver is allowed
    http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/regular/index.html
    http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/regular/monthly-regular-saver.html
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    mhoc wrote: »
    thanks for this, after reading this I did the same.

Do any Virgin Money experts know if you have 2 online regular savers if you can also open one in branch?

Yes you can,

I have branch Issue 1 and 2, and online issue 1, 2, and 3...

Each have different maturing dates,
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income