Cost for having bathroom fitted+Tiled?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, im wanting to get a new bathroom fitted, it is a very small room and nothing needs moving it will just be a case of old stuff out new suite in, although i would like my radiator replacing with a towel radiator.
Its my first house and i have absolutly no idea how much im going to be looking at so if someone could tell me what is reasonable before i get some quotes i would appreciate it.
Im pressumbing i need a plumber to fit the suite and a tiler (if thats the correct term :o) to re-tile it we can of course take the old tiles off ourself and the walls should be in pretty good condition as its quite a new house. but then again what do i know!

would it be cheaper getting a bathroom suite from such as screwfix and finding our own fitter or going to a proper bathroom place who offer there own fitting service?
i had a budget in mind of about 2 grand does that sound at all do-able?
when we had our kitchen done we got caught up in the MFI nightmare and lost a load of money so i just want to get it done as quickly and as straightforward as possible.
Thanks for your help in advance

Comments

• Carrieb
    Carrieb Posts: 5 Forumite
    Am in exactly the same situation. Have bought my own bathroom suite and am getting a plumber to put it in for me. He also does tiling. He is charging £1,000 for his work (but my bathroom is very small!)
    My suite should have cost me £1,400 from showroom and bath from B+Q - got the whole lot for £500 on ebay (and £100 of that was on the postage) My suite is exacly the same as showroom so saved a fortune.
    I was a bit nervous about buying online, but bought everything I wanted at a fraction of the price - all good quality and good condition.

My advise would be find the suite you want at showroom, then do a search on ebay - there are loads of people selling bathroom furniture.

Hope this helps!
  • budgetboy_2
    budgetboy_2 Posts: 138 Forumite
    Hi beautyqueen,

I bought online as carrie did, but not ebay, from http://www.dovcor.com. Also got a local plumber to fit it. It didn't cost £1000 for the fitting as with carrie because he's a good family friend :j.

So this worked out cheaper for me as the fitter didn't charge full rates. It could be worth asking round your friends and family see if anyone knows a good plumber? I think it's worth having a plumber you can trust as some big firms can be costly and make rushed jobs...

Dovcor do free delivery as well which was a plus.
    BB
  • Carrieb wrote: »
    Am in exactly the same situation. Have bought my own bathroom suite and am getting a plumber to put it in for me. He also does tiling. He is charging £1,000 for his work (but my bathroom is very small!)
    My suite should have cost me £1,400 from showroom and bath from B+Q - got the whole lot for £500 on ebay (and £100 of that was on the postage) My suite is exacly the same as showroom so saved a fortune.
    I was a bit nervous about buying online, but bought everything I wanted at a fraction of the price - all good quality and good condition.

My advise would be find the suite you want at showroom, then do a search on ebay - there are loads of people selling bathroom furniture.

Hope this helps!

This is just my opinion but as a Professional Tiling Contractor my site I would say get a tiler in to do the tiling, its what he is best at and the plumber can do the plumbing which is what he is best at! By using the same person to do all the work YOU WILL PAY MORE!!

So get the Tiler in to have a look first then get a quote off the plumber and YOU "project manage" (easy)!

The main stages are as follows........

stage 1. Removal of old bathroom suite: If you know how to isolate bath,sink and toilet you laughing and you have saved yourself lots of money.

stage 2. Remove old tiles: Do it yourself dead easy all you need is a hammer gloves and safety goggles.(use the back of the hammer to prise away the tiles.

stage 3. (with the plumber and the tiler booked in, so one follows the other, with no days empty) get the plumber to "first stage fix" ie place all the new pipes in the correct place (if nothing is being moved about and the suite is a straight swap this wont take long and the price should be loads cheaper)!
    Plumber then fits shower tray and bath leaving the toilet and sink.

stage 4. Next day Tiler Starts preparing the wall, make sure the tiler uses "water-based synthetic polymer " for bonding the walls (make sure he doesn't use PVA as its not waterproof)!!

stage 5. Tiler Tiles the bathroom. Make sure Tiler leaves a space between
    the tile and the bath and the shower tray of at least 3mm (This gap gets filled with a good quality silicone which can flex)!!

Stage 6. Plumber finishes fixing the rest of the bathroom suite "second stage fixing".

:j****** HAPPY CUSTOMER*****
  • jonejayc
    jonejayc Posts: 77 Forumite
    This is just my opinion but as a Professional Tiling Contractor my site I would say get a tiler in to do the tiling, its what he is best at and the plumber can do the plumbing which is what he is best at! By using the same person to do all the work YOU WILL PAY MORE!!

So get the Tiler in to have a look first then get a quote off the plumber and YOU "project manage" (easy)!

stage 1. Removal of old bathroom suite: If you know how to isolate bath,sink and toilet you laughing and you have saved yourself lots of money.

stage 2. Remove old tiles: Do it yourself dead easy all you need is a hammer gloves and safety goggles.(use the back of the hammer to prise away the tiles.

stage 3. (with the plumber and the tiler booked in, so one follows the other, with no days empty) get the plumber to "first stage fix" ie place all the new pipes in the correct place (if nothing is being moved about and the suite is a straight swap this wont take long and the price should be loads cheaper)!

stage 4. Next day Tiler Starts preparing the wall, make sure the tiler uses "water-based synthetic polymer " for bonding the walls (make sure he doesn't use PVA as its not waterproof)!!

the tile and the bath and the shower tray of at least 3mm (This gap gets filled with a good quality silicone which can flex)!!

Stage 6. Plumber finishes fixing the rest of the bathroom suite "second stage fixing".

I have to disagree what happens if the plumber or tiler overruns due to problems with the installaition. This puts the job behind. What if there is a problem in the future, whos to blame the plumber or the tiler. There are many sole traders that are fully trained in plumbing and tileing etc and do the job from start to finish. In my opinion the more trades you have for a small installation it costs you more money, time and stress.
  • So get the Tiler in to have a look first then get a quote off the plumber and YOU "project manage" (easy)!

stage 4. Next day Tiler Starts preparing the wall, make sure the tiler uses "water-based synthetic polymer " for bonding the walls (make sure he doesent use PVA as its not waterproof)!!

Sorry, I had to join up and say something when I saw this one. Are you seriously suggesting that removing the tiles is a dead easy job, and you will give a good finish with the new tiling without any prep work? What about removing all the old adhesive that would make the new tiling protrude? Or the possible damage to plasterboard or flaking/damp/damaged plaster?

Please tell me how many tilers do you know who would turn up to a job with old adhesive still on the wall in patches and not insist it was bought back to smooth?
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just a really quick response, make sure you measure the bath, my friend thought that all baths were the same size. If it's a small bathroom you could have a small non standard sized bath. My friend now has a nice but expensive raised bed in the garden as she couldn't return the too big bath.
    It's usually cheaper to buy the suite yourself. If you want a real standard white suite, b&q do a contract suite. I think that you can buy the bits separately, there are several ebay sellers who sell very nice trendy basins. If you have the space then a shower bath may be a good idea.
    For tiles I would look on ebay, I bought marble tiles a couple of weeks ago, enough to do my bathroom twice over & they cost me around £30.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure