Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We removed a wasps bike from our loft last year but then it was before they were active and we were assured by the council pest dept that it would be empty (which it was!). As its in the chimney it will be a lot more difficult to deal with and obviously it is in use so I would probably get someone in. Most councils have a department that will deal with them and I think there are normally quite reasonable too.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Light a fire in the wood burning stove???
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd light a fire... that'd sort them out.
  • raypierre
    raypierre Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 June 2009 at 3:36PM
    If they are bees and you kill them, you are breaking the law. Bees are protected as they are beneficial and at present are endangered. Also, they are not a problem. They won't cause any damage and will be extremely unlikely to sting. I have had many nests of bees in the cavity wall through the airbrick just outside our back door (with a cat flap less than 18 inches from the airbrick). In spite of our cat constantly trying to catch them, niether we nor the cat have ever been stung or bothered by the delightful little creatures. I have poked at the air bricks with a stick to clear them out and give the bees easier access. And even wasps, though not quite so cuddly and inoffensive, are beneficial to the environment through the pests they destroy. If at all possible, leave thenm alone.

Support your local bees!!!
  • Melmm
    Melmm Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi All,

Am in desperate need of advice...
    we have had 2 swarms of honey bees gather in our garden in the last 2 weeks, both of which have been very large swarms. Luckily, i got in contact with the local beekeepers association and a lady was happy to come and collect them.

However, we now have a swarm gather at the top of our chimney! There have been a few there for a while, probably about 30 or 40 or so, but now there are thousands (literally!). The swarms in the garden looked like about 10,000 or so, so i'm really quite worried that this amount could grow also!

Any advice as to what we could/are allowed to do. The chimney can be accessed via a flat roof, but is then still quite a climb.

Many thanks

Mel
  • kev_min
    kev_min Posts: 160 Forumite
    may be stateing the obvious but try lighting a fire, should move the buzzy beggars along.....
    At times any combination of my spelling, grammar or punctuation may be incorrect. Please do not pick me up for this as, after all, it is only an internet forum.
  • Bleg
    Bleg Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This happened to me a month or so ago. They were coming into the house via the chiminey. Called a local bee-keeper who told me to smoke them out immediately. He said that this is best done in the first 36hrs because after that they are very difficult to get rid of. Took me while as the smoke has to be thick and constant for at least 3-4hrs.

Good luck. It was quite a task for me because we have a false-coal gas fire.
    -Keep your eyes to the sunshine and you would not see the shadows-:beer:
    -Remember your forgetfulness is not my emergency:p
  • Melmm
    Melmm Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks very much for the replies.

I think i am going to have to try and smoke them out then!

I thought they had gone last night because you couldn't hear/see much activity, but they are quite obvious again today!

Can I please ask how you actually smoked them out then, and what did you use? Our problem is that we have 2 flues in our chimney, one going to the open fire, and the other that is blocked off in the kitchen - this is the one that they seem to be in! So...am not really sure how i would smoke them yet! Maybe drill a hole in the board that blockes the flue, as i'm not very keen on removing it at the moment!!

Many thanks
  • Bleg
    Bleg Posts: 332 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I took out the false coals, covered the whole grate with foil on top of which I put a large old roasting tin in which I burnt grass (lawn cuttings). The important thing is to maintain a thick cloud of smoke going up the chiminey for 3-4hrs. It took me a while to get it going but once on the go it was easier to maintain.

Goodluck
    -Keep your eyes to the sunshine and you would not see the shadows-:beer:
    -Remember your forgetfulness is not my emergency:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills