I'm £78.30 out of pocket!!!

In a nutshell, I had to catch a train this morning from my local station. There are only 2 platforms. I was waiting (on the platform indicated for direction of travel I wanted ) at 5.40 am for a train that was to leave at 5.53 am. 6.00 am no train. Station staff arrive. I enquire to be told that the train departed from the other platform (which shows travel in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go). The ticket was booked online. No platform information is provided online. There are no notices in the station to indicate that trains to my destination leave from a different platform before 6.00am. Now, because of resulting missed connections / appointments I am £78.30 out of pocket. National rail website T+C's basically say tough !!!! if info provided is not accurate. Does anyone have any suggestions who else I can approach to complain about this and try to recoup some losses? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The company that operates the train you were due to travel on. Most operate some form of delay compensation in the form of a fare refund - worth a try

You won't get any consequential losses though
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What station was it?
    What time were you due to arrive at your destination, and what time did you actually arrive?
  • mjdh1957
    mjdh1957 Posts: 657 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    This happened to a friend of mine a while ago at Hebden Bridge station, where the first train to Leeds departs from the platform normally used for the Manchester and Blackpool trains. He arrived at the station, noticed the train standing at the other platform and then watched as it headed off in the 'wrong' direction towards Leeds.
    Retired in 2015.
    Moved to Ireland September 2017
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    What station was it?
  • It was Barnsley station
  • The 0553 did indeed leave (on time) from platform 2 (as does the 0523) whereas subsequent trains towards Sheffield leave from platform 1.

According to National Rail Enquiries there are display boards and announcements on both platforms, as well as arrival and departure screen in the concourse/waiting room are - were these working at the time?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure