PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Scones..how can i get them to rise..

Comments

• also don't twist the cutter iyswim.

Tap the scones out, don't twist or they won't rise.

Lisa x
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kyle wrote:
    Hmm might have handled the dough too much and recipe said 220, i have a fan oven, is this too hot?

Kyle

I agree with the other poster, this is way too hot. Also, over handling the dough is guaranteed to make them flat. Cut the liquid into the dry ingredients with a knife to bring together. I then just gently pat it into a round and cut them out, taking care not to twist as mrsmortenharket says.

Also, they do rise better with buttermilk but I have found that I can get the same results by using cream of tartar instead as I always have that indoors and we don't always have buttermilk to hand.
  • I seem to be having an inability to get my scones right. I dream of the light fluffy ones that were served up in my favourite tearooms years ago, still warm from the oven I can assure you they were made on the premises. I just can't make them. Mine always seem dry and crumbly and just not light enough. I was maligning this at another local coffee shop over scones and coffee with a friend and saying look even theirs are better and she said that they buy theirs in from Costco! I want fluffy homemade ones! Where am I going wrong? I love scones but I feel an ignoramous for not being able to get them right.:confused:

I also seem to have a bit of a problem with drop scones/scotch pancakes call them what you will but that I think is all to do with getting the right girdle and the right temperature but DH informs me that he doesn't like bannocks (as they are called here) anyway so not to bother:rolleyes: . I used to bake them with my granny and they came out fine but alas her girdle got lost when her house was cleared out. I am sure a decent girdle has a lot to do with it. WEll that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Can anyone offer some inspiration. DH just wants plain oven scones but I want fruity ones and cheese ones. But if I can't get the basics right there isn't much hope for any.:o
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try using plain live yoghourt instead of milk in your usual recipe, or if your yoghourt is very thick then mix it with milk to pouring consistency.
    People used to use buttermilk in scones to make them light, but it's very expensive to buy now and live yoghourt is a good substitute.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi poodlehorse,

I have found with scones that the less you handle the mixture the better the scones. Also are you rolling out the dough thickly enough? I have found that scones have to be about 2 -2 1/2 inches deep before going into the oven to make them light and fluffy. When cutting them make sure that you don't twist the cutter, but just rest it on top of the mix and push down with the palm of your hand.

I'm pretty sure that there's an older thread with lots of tips on this so when I find it I'll post a link into this post.

Pink

Edit: Here's a thread that should help: Scones..how can i get them to rise.. I'll add your thread to that one later.
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    I seem to be having an inability to get my scones right. I dream of the light fluffy ones that were served up in my favourite tearooms years ago, still warm from the oven I can assure you they were made on the premises. I just can't make them. Mine always seem dry and crumbly and just not light enough. I was maligning this at another local coffee shop over scones and coffee with a friend and saying look even theirs are better and she said that they buy theirs in from Costco! I want fluffy homemade ones! Where am I going wrong? I love scones but I feel an ignoramous for not being able to get them right.:confused:

I also seem to have a bit of a problem with drop scones/scotch pancakes call them what you will but that I think is all to do with getting the right girdle and the right temperature but DH informs me that he doesn't like bannocks (as they are called here) anyway so not to bother:rolleyes: . I used to bake them with my granny and they came out fine but alas her girdle got lost when her house was cleared out. I am sure a decent girdle has a lot to do with it. WEll that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Can anyone offer some inspiration. DH just wants plain oven scones but I want fruity ones and cheese ones. But if I can't get the basics right there isn't much hope for any.:o

I think you mean griddle. ;) Or else I'm missing an old style trick. :D

I just use an ordinary frying pan and they work ok. I do have bother with my scones though. They never rise much. :confused:

Edit...thanks Pink.:A
  • I think you mean griddle. ;) Or else I'm missing an old style trick. :D

I just use an ordinary frying pan and they work ok. I do have bother with my scones though. They never rise much. :confused:

I was going ot post that..............
  • I think you mean griddle. ;) Or else I'm missing an old style trick. :D

Nope I MEAN girdle because I am Scottish and that is the word we use therefore we make girdle scones although I have not attempted them yet this is what you would see written in the bakers or indeed on supermarket girdle scones so I honestly haven't just made it up to sound kinky. Sorry for the confusion.:p
  • HariboJunkie
    HariboJunkie Posts: 7,740 Forumite
    Nope I MEAN girdle because I am Scottish and that is the word we use therefore we make girdle scones although I have not attempted them yet this is what you would see written in the bakers or indeed on supermarket girdle scones so I honestly haven't just made it up to sound kinky. Sorry for the confusion.:p

I've lived in Scotland for 15 years and never noticed. :o
  • I think it does sound like I am rolling them out too thin, I knew about the not twisting thing so it isn't that. I am going to try again just making them thicker as my recipe said to roll out to 3/4" and I did think this was odd but didn't question it as it was my great aunt's recipe and I presumed the same as my granny would have used. Great aunt made fabulous home bakes. So maybe she just ignored the recipe and did her own thing but never amended it. My MIL is bad for that. You get a recipe off her and it never works and then when you tell her she says oh but I don't do it like that and she lists about 6 amendments. You are just meant to know, thankfully her daughters get just as annoyed about it as me so I am not alone. NEver thought of the yoghurt but I guess that makes sense as I was always told to make them with milk "on the turn" but never have as it doesn't tend to get that long in our house. And I will check out that other thread later, thanks Pink, I thought I had searched for scones but for some reason it didn't come up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure