Should men still pay on a first date?

Comments

• My wife still teases me for not paying in full on our first date
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A slightly odd poll, as the first two options are the same, they both say 'The man should pay'. Impossible to know which to pick, as you can't predict what the woman will say/offer. I ended up selecting the first one, but they are both true.

Seems over 50% of both men and women agree the man should pay, anyway.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm genuinely curious. Those who think the man should pay, are they also of the opinion that the man should always be the one doing the asking or do they think that if the woman asks the man out, he should still pay?
  • Do women want equality? Then why do so many of them think it's right that the man should automatically pay on the first date ?
  • HKitten
    HKitten Posts: 156 Forumite
    Whoever does the asking should pay, but obviously there's still a bias there because the majority of scenarios will be a man asking a woman out.

I'm a fan of equality, but I don't think it has to mean the death of chivalry or courtship. You can view a woman as your equal, and still want to woo her with dinner and flowers. Convincing someone you'd be a good partner doesn't have to have anything to do with gender.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    I voted for the women should offer but the man should pay option. I have been known to pay my half with a money off voucher, I think it can be a good indicator of compatibility if they appreciate the voucher or think you are strange...!

If I'm paying than a voucher is a necessity!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I voted for whoever asks should pay. It would seem strange to me to be invited out and then expected to pay!
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Do women want equality? Then why do so many of them think it's right that the man should automatically pay on the first date ?

Completely agree.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I was asked out last year, I did ask who was paying and had brought my card with me, just in case I was expected to pay my share. I never once assumed he was going the full bill, which he did.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • RustyPots
    RustyPots Posts: 37 Forumite
    I was torn between paying half and the person doing the inviting paying.

If I was invited on a date I would expect to go halves on the bill, however if I was doing the asking I would expect to pay the bill (but hoped he would offer half :rotfl:)

I would never want, nor accept the man paying for the whole date. Whether you split it 50/50 or one buys the tickets the other the popcorn type of scenario sits more comfortably with me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure