PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My children are fed up with OS :(

Options
My children are fed up with Old Style meals and me cooking everything from scratch. I've tried burgers, chicken nuggets, pizzas etc etc home made but they turn their noses up at it. I cant get them to eat anything from the slow cooker without them moaning about it all the way through. So tonight I've resorted to frozen fish fingers, frozen garlic bread, frozen chips and frozen onion rings. In the past I would have made all those myself but I'm fed up :rolleyes:
2008 Comping Challenge
Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
Debt free since Oct 2004

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The ungrateful little so and sos! Are they old enough to help plan/cook the meals? Maybe that would inspire them-diy pizzas that sort of thing?
    Sorry,don't know what else to suggest :confused:
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They are old enough but I cant really get them to help in the kitchen because it is literally 10ft by 9ft (including cabinets and appliances) and theres just not room.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tell them that you are slaving away over a hot stove to cook the most economical, nutritious and filling meals possible so that you have spare money for all the treats that people their age think they cannot live without...and that if they are going to be ungrateful little so and sos (throw in the line "i thought i brought you up better than that" - guilt works every time :D) that they can either cook for themselves or buy the mcains/birdseye etc rubbish with their pocket money..or starve!

im sure they'll soon come to their senses once they realise how much you have to pay for all that processed rubbish.
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmmm,could they plan some of the week's meals-say 3 and agree to your choice for the other 4?
    Maybe you could make a few hm fish fingers,say and serve them alongside some cheapo frozen ones and force them to admit the hm ones are better,because they will be. ;)

I can recommend a good book 'The Food Our Children Eat' by Joanna Blythman.It's full of tips and strategies for getting children of all ages to eat 'real' food rather than rubbish.I bought it when my children were babies and haven't looked back.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ask them what they would like to sacrafice in order to have a more "modern commercial" menu ("" for want of a better descritption?) Christmas & birthday presents? Family days/trips/holidays out? Selling their belongings to fund take aways? Staying at school when all their mates are on school trips? Show them on paper/with an abacus/play money (don't know how old they are?) the diffrence in cost between making it yourself & eating ready made & then show them what you can buy with the money you save.
    Or tell them that the next time they moan you will remove their full palates & they can sit at the table hungary, until everyone else has finished, then continue the rest of their day/evening, hungary. (be prepared to carry out any such threat though!)
    Maybe as a compromise, could you agree to serve up one meal of their chioce say once a month/fortnight/week, but this will be sacraficed if they whine in the mean time?
    Or maybe they'd like to get part time jobs & treat YOU to a take away sometimes:D

Chin up;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How old are they? And how badly do you want them to eat what you cook?

I really don't mean to be flippant, but they will get used to what you prepare - either that or go hungry. My little one is a nightmare to feed, but because he's only 3 and I don't want to make food an issue, I let him eat differently to the rest of us (sausages every day for tea :confused:) However, everyone else gets what I make - it's quite funny watching kids who go "eurgh - I hate that" to "yummy - I love this" when it's the same meal :D

You could always compromise and have say saturday tea as the meal when they have what they want. There's no point in wearing yourself into a frazzle - or everything you want may end up going out of the window and in 12 months you may be sitting there wondering how you're going to reduce your food bill or improve their diet.

I'd say, stick with it - they'll get used to it, but give them the junk as a "treat" now and again. They may even wean themselves off it soon anyway when they realise your food is better. :D

All the best

TM
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I'm cooking a stew tomorrow whether they like it or not.

I will look that book up.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I had/have the same problem! The 20mo gets away with other foods - cos she can scream louder than the others!

But you have to persever. DD4 spent ALL her pocket money at school in tuck shop - bigger fool her - as she wouldn't eat my food. Once she ran out of cash and was hungry, she soon ate up.

Similar thing with DD2. DD3 now - shes strange. Will stuff her face with fruit but not a lot else. But again, she will eat when hungry.

I am considering buy a smoothie (or a blender - will that do???) to get more fruit/veg into meals. and drinks especially for DD4.

Keep going. They wont starve and will eat it eventually. Cos they have no choice.
  • Mrsbojangles_2
    Options
    How about Old style Mon-Frid and their choice (within reason and budget) at the weekends?

Good luck x
    February Grocery Challenge £250.00

Spend so far £230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am considering buy a smoothie (or a blender - will that do???) to get more fruit/veg into meals. and drinks especially for DD4.

A smoothie maker is a blender with a tap on it. And the tap will get clogged up so often you won't use it anyway. Buy a cheap blender, or a juicer which will handle serious veggies if you think you can get them to drink carrot juce;).
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure