Employing a cleaner

I want to get a cleaner, but have never had one before and don't have a clue how many hours to ask for, what to expect to pay, and what are the best things to get her to do while she is here. Any tips?

Comments

• janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    well im a bit spoilt as my cleaner is wonderfull! but i would expect at lest the basics, kitchen clean and dishwasher unpoaded, floor swept and mopped, bathroom thoroughly cleaned taps, bath basin and loo! floor swept and mopped, as we have lamiate flooring she sweeps and mops the whole house, she then does any washing that is in baskets and dries washing still in the machine, if she has time she does some dusting or it i ask her but as we are very untidy she also has to tidy up for us (she is an angel !) she usualy tries to do one extra each time she comes to keep the dust ect down but always does the basics. hope you enjoy having a cleaner! oh I pay her £6 per hour which is what she asked for! jane
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    I'd love to hire a cleaner but can't afford one. If I did hire one I'd expect to pay £1 more than the minimum wage as I think he/she would be worth it.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• ooh, i am thinking about getting a cleaner - janeawej, how often do you need your cleaner to come round? do you have to clean yourself ever or does her cleaning ie. the bathroom last until she comes again? where did you look? yellow pages? what about ironing as that is the worst thing of it all IMO!
  • lilac_lady wrote:
    I'd love to hire a cleaner but can't afford one. If I did hire one I'd expect to pay £1 more than the minimum wage as I think he/she would be worth it.

Crikey - you have to pay £8-£10 per hour around here :eek:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • I want to get a cleaner, but have never had one before and don't have a clue how many hours to ask for, what to expect to pay, and what are the best things to get her to do while she is here. Any tips?

I think you need to specify what you want her to do - and when you want her to clean. If you want her only one day each week, then think about all the things you'll do on the days she's not there.

I don't ask my cleaner to deal with the laundry or the dishwasher, as she only comes once a week and I couldn't wait all week to get the laundry done or the dishwasher unloaded. As those things get dealt with "in bits" during the week, I don't need her to do them when she cleans.

My routine is .....

Dust & hoover (or mop) each room
    Hoovery upholstered furniture & soft furnishings
    Thorough clean of bathrooms & kitchen

Then, taking one room each week - more thorough clean e.g. move beds to hoover, clean windows & paintwork, clean pictures/photos. So one room gets a thorough clean ("spring clean") every week and the others get a weekly clean.

I don't ask her do ironing either as I pay someone else to do that.

My cleaner does four hours each week (four bed house) and her going rate is now £10 ph :eek:
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    I pay my lady £5 an hour, probably due for a rise. BUT I do look after her, free veg, Christmas Bonus etc.
    Basics only, bathroom kitchen and hoovering/dusting. I have a bloke do the outside windows and I do the inside. I also do the laundry and cooking .
    Also have a blitz before she gets here :-))
  • I've had several cleaners (I'm on my 4th) and you need to tell them EXACTLY what you want done. Vacuum clean the lounge is not enough. If you want the sofa moved say so, if you want the cushion removed from the sofa and cleaned under say so, if you don't say it they won't do it.

I pay my cleaner £7.50 an hr and she does 2hrs once a week. If she was any good I'd have her more hours but TBH she isn't that good. If I ask her to clean the picture rail she uses a broom :eek: . I'd have thought it were common sense that you get a stool or chair and stand on that if you can't reach, well it's what I do.

In 2 hrs my cleaner vacuums and mops the kitchen and lounge floors, Dusts the TV and assorted techie stuff in the lounge, cleans the downstairs WC and cleans the main bathroom. I don't think that's a lot to do in 2 hrs and my other cleaners have managed more but I've come to the conclusion that having a cleaner is major hassle if you look at what they do and don't do. As I'm 7 months pregnant with a 2 year old to look after I really don't have the energy to clean the whole house (large 4 bed) so I settle for doing most of it and having help with some.

2 of my cleaners have stolen time from me, by that I mean they wouldn't work all the time they were paid for. Both of them were caught out by me and sacked on the spot. The 1st one I never caught doing that but given the fact one day she didn't even get the WC clean I think she was doing the same.

Think carefully before you get a cleaner and be prepared to sack him/her.
  • Hm, sorry to bring up an old thread but just after a bit of advice. I am thinking of offering £6ph for 2 hrs a day, 3 days a week. So £36 per week. For thorough tidy, dust sweep and mop of living room, sweep mop and dust hall & dining room. Thorough clean of kitchen, which will include any washing up (not much, probably one days worth at a time). Hoover landings and bedrooms (3) with a quick dust. And thorough clean of bathroom. Does this sound reasonable?

I have a 3yr old, 2 dogs and a hubbie so we are not overly messy but being pregnant i have lost all energy and could really do with the help. I wouldn't ask for help with washing/ironing or anything too in depth though.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.
    Mummy of 3 lovely munchkins :smileyhea
  • £6ph just wouldn't cut it around here, but it may work for where you are. Have you looked around at the small ads in your local shop or magazine to see if that rate is "about right" or not? :confused:

£12-£15 ph is the going rate around here :(
  • tizhimi
    tizhimi Posts: 457 Forumite
    £6 per hour like debt free chick said isn't a great deal, but then again it depends where you are in the country.
    I run an event management company, I put on events, I go to events, if I don't know anything about events - its not worth knowing!
    :j:j:jNegotiate, Negotiate, and Negotiate again.:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport