A thread for things you shouldn't be wondering about...

Options
OK this seems totally random, but I'm hoping that one of you has seen the same email that I did, which said something about new research proving that cucumbers keep for longer OUT of the fridge than they do IN the fridge. I think it was one of the mainstream ones, such as Emerald Street or SheerLuxe.

Like many of us I have dozens and dozens of emails that I tend to skim read (to avoid deleting an email that says that I've won something), and there was one which said that strange thing about cucumbers. Obviously you look at a headline like that and think "Don't be silly!" and I was half intending to go back and read it, but forgot.

Anyway, when I was showing my wife some different ways of preparing cucumber for the stir-fry that I was going to do for dinner I mentioned to her that I had seen this strange claim, but when I went back online to check it out I couldn't find anybody on a Google search saying that cucumbers keep longer out of the fridge, and I can't find the email in question.

Am I going mad? :rotfl:
Thanks to all who post constructively.
H
ave an A1 day!

Comments

• CheCazzo
    CheCazzo Posts: 559 Forumite
    Options
    No! I had it too - can't remember who it was from but I think you're right in saying it was Mr Hyde or some other member of that stable. Mine had some crazy idea about a cucumber, strawberry and cream cheese sandwich - you know when you read something, rub your eyes in disbelief, go back and it's still there so you get up for a breath of fresh air or a good strong black coffee? That.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This article is sometimes referenced to (50-55°F given as optimum storage temp)

http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/pfvegetable/Cucumber/
    Chilling Injury. Cucumbers are chilling sensitive at temperatures below 10°C (50°F) if held for more than a day to 3 days depending on temperature and cultivar. Consequences of chilling injury are water-soaked areas, pitting and accelerated decay. Chilling injury is cumulative and may be initiated in the field prior to harvest. Cucumber varieties vary considerably in their susceptibility to chilling injury.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I recently bought a new fridge and the manual states that some fruit and vegetables such as pineapples, melons, cucumbers, tomatoes and
    similar produce can suffer damage if kept at low temperatures.
  • Soosieboo
    Soosieboo Posts: 679 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you know that you shouldn't store a melon anywhere near pastry products?
    There's an enzyme in it that makes pastry go mouldy.

If you are ever stuck for answers to anything seek out 'Intelligent Answers'.
    Thanks to those that post the comps!!
    :j:beer:
  • marialionza
    marialionza Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Soosieboo wrote: »

I might us "Intelligent Answers" to solve my problem with the blocking of my Facebook...hope for the best...
    Thanks to those who help us to win !
    <3
  • fire**fly
    fire**fly Posts: 147,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Soosieboo wrote: »

thanks for the info on the 'Intelligent Answers'
    Soosieboo, not seen that site before & know it will come
    in handy:T
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,371 Forumite
    Options
    I often wonder why supermarkets/grocery stores etc store eggs on an ordinary aisle (ie. not in the fridge) and we are told we can store eggs at room temp so why do most fridges have compartments or holders specifically for eggs!? Mmmmmmm maybe they are for storing Cadbury's Cream Eggs!!! OMG never thought of that until now! chick-hatching-from-an-egg-smiley-emoticon.gif
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • BlueBella
    Options
    Anyway, when I was showing my wife some different ways of preparing cucumber for the stir-fry that I was going to do for dinner

:rotfl: Sorry had to laugh at the thought of you showing your wife different ways of slicing a cucumber! Most men would cringe at seeing their wife take a knife to a long veg like that! :rotfl: I use one of those crinkle cutters so I can give my kids 'crinkly cuke' as they call it! :j
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • Defoe
    Defoe Posts: 616 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reckon your wife has to be a saint R-R......:).
    Still cracking on....
    Wins in 2019: 28 prizes realised value £278:eek:
    Wins in 2018: 59 prizes realised value £1,818:coffee:
    Wins in 2017: 53 prizes realised value £2,556:j
    Wins in 2016: 51 prizes realised value £790
    Wins in 2015: 81 prizes realised value £2,065 :beer:
  • BlueBella
    Options
    Defoe wrote: »
    Reckon your wife has to be a saint R-R......:).

All I can say is if wor Roger_Rampant lives by his name, then his wife should be satisfied and have no reason to consider slicing off his Roger_Rampant rabbit! bunny-smiley-emoticon.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure