PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas is coming........

Sorry don't shoot me but it is 2 months today. :D I would like to get a bit more organised this year. So instead of finishing work on my knees and having to start baking and prepping can anybody give me any hints or tips on what they are prepping?

So far I've got blackberry vodka and sloe gin on the go. What else can I bake/prep to give me a head start?
L
Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124

Comments

• you are more organised than me. Christmas cake is always best made in advance and chutneys if you have a glut of fruit ( they improve with age I find) your mince pies can be frozen ( though i don't freeze mine for more than a month)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    this thread has all the christmas links you will need check out the first post :)

ill merge you in later

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm just writing out my Christmas food list.

I pin it to a cupboard door and strike off the list when it is in the cupboard or freezer.

Things like stuffing, pickles, cheese crackers, olives, frozen veg, part baked petit pains (todays order from Asda had a 7th Jan 2015 on them), mayo, gherkins, pickled beetroot etc etc. Gammon joints can be frozen.

Don't forget the non foodie stuff that can be stored ahead - Table cloths, napkins, new fairy lights etc will be in the shops imminently. Loo rolls, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant etc will still be needed - call me Mrs Sad, but I often write a date on things when I open them, I know a 500ml of wash up liquid will last me 5 weeks. Similarly 8 loo rolls should do for the Christmas and New Year 2 or 3 weeks.

Noticed Asda won't let you book a slot more than 3 weeks ahead at the mo, so I'm on it from 1st Dec onwards ;-)

Confession: As I use fresh veg all year my Christmas Day treat is Aunt Bessies roasties in goose fat, and AB Parsnips.

On the day:- I roast the beef on 24th, plus the gammon/ham joint; and slice them both. This frees up the oven on 25th for the bird - slices of beef are put in the top oven in their cooking juices whilst the Christmas meal is cooking to warm through. Gammon is foiled and fridged for tea.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    get a box buy an extra treat item each time you shop and add it to the box. When it gets to Christmas you can just buy your normal shop because you already have the yummies and barely notice ant difference.

I would suggest not buying the stuff you will be throwing in the bin at new year.. cheeses/meats/fruit etc that doesn't get eaten because you bought too much!

some people prep and freeze stuffing, veg etc.. order in meats/pork pies/other stuff.. many local butchers will now deliver so it is worth asking.. we have local greengrocers that deliver too.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,688
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks have been buying extras so nearly got that sorted and have inventoried the alcohol. Apart from mince pies is there anything else I can bake and freeze?
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • i'm intending to make and freeze mince pies, jam tarts, lemon tarts, some sort of sponge cake, sausage rolls , quiches and a few as yet undecided nibbles but wont make until the begining of December. i will freeze sausage rolls unbaked and bake as i need them.

always fancied making croissants so may make and freeze these in advance too.

Totally fed up of spending christmas on the last minute and frazzled to a quivering wreck then running out buying expensive nibbles ready meals and cakes.

Have already made red tomatoe chutneys and raspberry gin, should be ready the week before christmas and DH is about to start making strawberry wine .

Christmas cake will be made in the next week or two. Did make one last year and was far nicer than shop bought . this year ive bought aldeee ingredients when on offer and using the £5 vouchers there.
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure