MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

We've negotiated tariffs cheaper than then cheapest energy deals using the power of our nine million email recipients...
Read the full story:

MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Will another supplier run a ten day discount with another intermediary that is cheaper than MSE's collective switch? Not much that MSE could do then to protect its claim to be cheapest. PRICE WARS although good for consumers in the short term and good for intermediaries in the short and long term can be bad for investment and consumers in the long term, think buses. Did MSE have cheaper bids but limited quantity? How has it picked the winning tariffs? £30 cashback says it's for those who have not switched through MSE over the past 12 months, should have included that in the blurb, not hidden in the small print. MSE's subscribers may be members of the 'CHEAP' Energy Club so already on cheap prices. Society needs to find a way to bring down standard prices imo and especially prices for the most vulnerable for what is a life saving resource.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Be aware that using the comparisons may show a cheaper rate but you need to include any early exit penalties and stuff like no warm home discount scheme .
  • As far as I can see, my current supplier is still cheaper with my usage and no exit penalty.
  • I'm not happy with the figures shown on this at all! I've recently switched to the EON Collective Fixed 1 Year September 2014 Plan. When I looked at the figures provided by The Cheap Energy Club it told me I could save £184 by switching to the EON MSE Fixed 1 Year Plan. However, it told me my current plan costs are £1459 for the year. I almost switched but decided to look at some other comparison sites and found that according to USWITCH my current plan costs are £1319 for a year and according to ENERGYHELPLINE my current plan costs are £1309 using exactly the same figures! The £1319 figure would give me a saving of £44 and the £1309 of £34 which is a lot different to £184!! Surely MSE is not in the business of providing innacurate figures to encourage people to switch?
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 12:08PM
    As far as I can see, my current supplier is still cheaper with my usage and no exit penalty.

Same here (except I have an early exit penalty fee)

Congrats, you're already on a cheap deal

and
    MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online | Fixed for 12 months ... Will cost you more than you pay now
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    We've negotiated tariffs cheaper than then cheapest energy deals using the power of our nine million email recipients......

Just looked at the price of gas and compared it to E.on existing offering (this was based on Eastern region ... not sure if it varies by region) ... I'm not currently with Eon, just comparing for interest.

Eon MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online | Fixed for 12 months
    Unit rate 3.496p per kWh
    Standing charge 21.903p per day

Eon Fixed 1 Year v12
    Unit rate 3.392p per kWh
    Standing charge 21.903p per day

Both tariffs appear to offer £20 dual fuel discount
    Both tariffs have a £5 (per fuel) early exit penalty.
    MSE tariff appears to offer £5 online discount as well

So unless you use less than 5000kWh (average is what? 13500kWh?) of gas per year, would such a customer not be better of on the Eon Fixed 1 Year v12 (at least for gas. Not sure you can take just gas with either of these tariffs but the gas on the MSE tariff is more expensive, surely?)?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,590
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    You really do have to do your own sums based on what you use and the actual unit prices - headline rates are there to entice you in and frequently assume that you'll be switched to your existing suppliers standard variable tariff when your present fixed tariff ends. Likewise TCR are there to help you make a comparison but are only correct if you use exactly the national averages.

It's up to you to properly check what you are going to pay to see if you are actually going to be better off.

Perhaps it's time that schools started teaching kids how to calculate & read their own energy bills (probably more useful than learning German or Chinese) - it's not hard but you'd think it was higher rocket science the mess some people get into
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    matelodave wrote: »
    It's up to you to properly check what you are going to pay to see if you are actually going to be better off.
    Perhaps it's time that schools started teaching kids how to calculate & read their own energy bills (probably more useful than learning German or Chinese) - it's not hard but you'd think it was higher rocket science the mess some people get into

Bit harsh.

We don't expect Martin Lewis to tell us his tariff is the cheapest of the lot (when it isn't):
    we've negotiated tariffs cheaper than the cheapest energy deals using the power of the 9m recipients of our weekly email and the 1.2m members of Cheap Energy Club.
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 12:41PM
    Prices need to be simpler, like milk prices.

The milk most of us buy (standard) is cheapest and most of us can tell you what a litre costs.

Fancy milk like Jeresy is more expensive.

Energy prices are the opposite, standard prices are highest, competition is focused on short term limited offer cheaper tariffs that few people can buy.

That is where energy prices should get to through regulation.

Intermediaries can do little, they lead to poor products (encourage frequent switching, complicate prices by including incentives). Intermediaries are marketeers making a profit for themselves which is a cost on consumers and not the same as consumers acting in their own interests.
  • scofra
    scofra Posts: 20 Forumite
    Today, I tried to switch energy supplier via MSE/ Utilities Phones tab/ CheapenergyClub link and I am worried that my details haven't been processed, or worse: were actually collected for fraud purposes.
    I filled in information (for E-On)as name, address, d.o.b and bank account name+sort code+number. Once I cliked the "Process switch" button at the end, I saw the screen acknowledging that a switch was initiated (should have taken screen shot...!!!).
    However, I still haven't received the automated acknowledging email from MSE. Also, when I log into my CheapEnergyClub account: there is no message informing me a switch having been initiated and I can run a price comparison as usual. So, either I clicked on a link that led to fraudulent site, or the MSE process is unusually slow... Anyone from MSE able to help, please? Will update.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    What disgraceful behaviour - started filling it in but then discovered not only postcode but address, name, email, everything required - no comparison or details of the deal available.

If the tariffs are such brilliant deals why is MSE shoddily not showing them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure