Hours worked - VERY confusing

Options
I don't think this is just me. Working out how many hours per day I should be doing is proper confusing.

So it works like this. I used to work in a role that was 37.5 hours a week.

I worked this out using an online calculator. I'd done this on my timesheet for 10 year and my agency never said it was wrong.

9-5 with an 30min lunch break unpaid. Is 7.5 hours a day paid.
7.5x5 = 37.5

That's fine. No one ever questioned that.

Now in a new role for a new large employer. The hours are 37hrs a week. I then released I've been doing 9-5 every day. Again with 30mins lunch. So that is over 30mins each week extra I've been working.

I mentioned this and was told "No you're wrong. You do 37 / 5 which equals 7.4 or 7hrs 40mins per day you should be working". That does add up. But if I then work out, in 24hour clock

17:00pm-9:00am = 8hrs - .5 (30min lunch) that comes to 7.5 or 7hrs 30mins per day.

This is why its super confusing. If I follow his working out of 7hrs 40mins per day then I should leaving every day at 4:50 if starting at 9am and taking 30min unpaid lunch which is stated "Not included in my working hours of 37hrs".

Very confused.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    7.4 hours is not 7 hours 40 minutes!
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Doesn't 7.4 equal 7 hours and 24 minutes?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 12 March 2018 at 9:41PM
    Options
    When I was in the civil service we worked to 37 hours a week (well, really 148 over four weeks) but we had flexi so it didn't matter.

You're working for an unpaid 6 minutes per day. Can you take an hour lunch one day a week, or leave/arrive 30 mins late/early? That would take care of it. If it's a really big employer, especially a public sector one then if you make a fuss you should get your 6 mins back. In some places I think this might be met with eye rolling and knowing looks, as unfair as that might be.
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    7.4 hours is not 7 hours 40 minutes!

Thanks. Someone else pointed that out as well. I'll have to annoy the person again and state that 7.4 hours isn't 7hrs 40mins. It really confused me as in my working out, 7.5hrs isn't 7hr 50mins but just a decimal to make working time out easy. And that 7.5hrs is actually 7hrs 30mins. Which is why I was confused when he stated 7.4 is 7hr 40mins.

And to shortcrust. I mentioned this myself, that 7.5 hrs per day for 4 days and then 7hrs one day, meaning leaving 30mins early would cover 37hrs. I was told "No, you've worked that out wrong".

I'm sure I haven't.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I used to do 37hr/wk as a civil servant. It was Mon - Thurs at 7hrs 30 mins; then Friday we would knock off half an hour early.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    There are also employers who will force you to take an unpaid HOUR at lunch. Their business, their rules. (This does of course extend the working day by 30 min.)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Maybe you would find it simplest if you agreed at the outset of your next conversation at work that you only talk in hours and minutes.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the person you're trying to explain it to is hard of understanding then maybe do it this way:

37 hours = 2,220 minutes per week

2220/5 = 444 minutes per day

444 minutes = 7 hours (420 minutes) + 24 minutes

I know all about this as I work a 37 hour week pro-rated to 4 days per week, so all my working and holiday time calculations are done in minutes.
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm more confused because they seem to be changing things without seemingly knowing what they are talking about or I'm just not understanding it.

I got told the next day buy this same guy that our working hours are 9-5 which is 7hrs 24mins a day and 36mins unpaid lunch. No mentioned that he'd actually got the 7.4 wrong the day before and also, where has the extra unpaid 6mins come from when on my contract it clearly states "30 minutes for lunch which isn't included in your weekly hours".

Using quite a good online timesheet calculator I now see they have decided to mention 36mins of unpaid lunch to make it add up to 37hrs. Should I be picky and depute this and get them to rewrite the contract because it clearly states 30mins for lunch. If it's now 36mins then they surely need to reflect that on my contract.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's such a minor change that I can't see any way you can realistically object to it to anyone other than your employer - and what would your grounds for objection be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure