Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Comments

• Today has been a low spend day,

£3.99 on swimming armbands for Pickle (it's a leisure pool here with a sloped beach style entry, so he can crawl a bit and walk a bit before it gets to the point he needs holding, he got very frustrated with us on Wednesday) have taken this from the child benefit ynab pot.

£1.65 on a drink and chocolate bar with a friend this afternoon, I really can't cut down on these spends while I'm here as there are so many people we need to catch up with. The money was taken from the change I still had in my purse which means......

My £15 budget for the day is still intact. Whoop woop de woop.

I need to do a shop for fresh things tomorrow, meat, fruit, veg & Pickle's yoghurt, so I definitely need to spend tomorrow, but will aim to keep it under £15.
    I've been reading about 'my supermarket' on a diary today, but it won't work for me here as we have no choice in supermarket. Maybe I'll try it when we get home. As soon as I'm finished on here I'm going to meal plan and sort the shopping list out. I really do feel like I've done well with this this week, only 1 trip to the spensive supermarket and that was ages ago.

I've completed another survey on PA so my total, in 2/3 days is nearly £10, less than £1 has been approved, but I don't need to buy any wool at the moment, so that's ok. I've checked the other survey sites, but nothing for me. I'm assuming the rate of surveys on PA will slow down after this initial period?

I've also seen a job advertised today, the job and the skills needed really match my skills, but it's a full time, full year job, which I don't really want, but there is no harm in putting in an application and attempting to negotiate hours if I'm successful. Maybe doing all the hours in 4 days or something. We'll see if I get that far.

I mentioned earlier that I took the armband money from the child benefit pot. When the cb arrives I immediately assign £30 to a ynab savings pot for Pickle when he's older, we don't have a huge amount of money going spare at the moment, so at least he is getting around £400 a year put away until he says older, and That does work out at over £7k by the time he's 18, not sure what that will buy him then, but it's a little something.
    The rest of the money I use for his swimming lessons (£51 every 10 weeks) and the sort of things I would expect him to use his pocket money for in the future. Essentials like clothes and nappies are met from household expenses.
    I'm hoping his toys will soon be self financing, so selling some of the things he's outgrown to fund the next stage. I've currently got 2 jumperoos (one normal, one space saving) that I'm trying unsuccessfully to sell. I didn't buy either new and the normal one is loaned out to a friend currently, so not prepared to drop the price yet, but probably will if they don't sell by the end of the summer.

Goals
    tomorrow:
    Fresh food shop <£15.00
    Low spend day, not sure what is on the social calendar at the moment.

Month
    Overpay £75 on mortgage - £16.76 to find
    £20 on surveys: pa less than £11 to go need to check the rest.
    Temp blanket, up to 15th May completed
    Cash spending diary up to date

Night all

Wish
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Evening all...

Tonight's boring update:

Goal for today:

Food shop <£15 no, blown completely, but only 1 additional purchase than I had on the list (4pints of milk for someone else - damage £1)
    So: £9 in the spensive supermarket
    £6 at the veg stall
    £8 at the butchers
    I actually now think a £15 budget on this was ridiculous given our current location

Low spend day socially no spend day socially, all I spent was on the shopping, so my total for today is £23 which although over today's £15 budget, I didn't spend anything yesterday, so within budget overall.

I took cash out of the bank to pay for the veg and the meat, so I have the left over cash from that for my incidental spends for the next few days, and I've moved what's left in the bank from yesterday & today's budget into the mortgage overpay pot.

Monthly targets
    £75 mortgage overpay currently £64.47
    Temerpature blanket no progress :(
    Cash spending diary up to date

Tomorrow

Goals
    No using the bank account day (only spends from cash in my purse)
    Work out 'work rate' for temperature blanket target
    No crisp day (this is one of my many food temptations)
    At least 1 section for job application (of the personal statement)

Other than that, everything is just ticking along.
    Weather was pants this morning, but has brightened up.
    Had a 'lamb Rossti hotpot' rossti disaster at team time but we ate.

Now time to chill (maybe knit a bit) and watch the end of the para athletics comp.

Night all.
  • Urbanshyne
    Urbanshyne Posts: 105
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Wish, you're way more in touch with your outgoings and daily goals than I am. Maybe I should set some of those too!

Honestly, paying down my mortgage quickly has only occurred to me in the last month. I'm still trying to figure out the best strategy to deal with it. I have a fairly good handle on the overall picture, but the details are still hazy. And I think you're totally right when you say that your blog somehow makes the commitment to OPing real and you accountable for it. The scrutiny of others keeps us on track, right?

I realise that we're gonna be moving at different speeds with our OPs, but I'll be following your progress with interest.

Best.
    Neither a borrower or lender be; for loan oft loses both itself and friend.
  • Hi Urban,

Thanks for dropping by.
    We may be moving at different speeds, but we've got the same goal, we may be aiming at the same level of sacrifice and my mortgage is a lot smaller than yours I think (less that £40K)
    So, we're all on the same journey and I'm happy to stick with you, if you are happy to stick with me.

I do have a good handle of my incomings and outgoings because I have to, both mentally and financially. We don't have the money anymore to 'lose' anything - 2 years ago, pre child, I was clearing up to £1K a month off the capital - but, priorities change, even if the basic goals don't - it's just going to take us a little longer to be mortgage free, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Mentally I hate owing people money, the mortgage is the most acceptable money to owe, but even then I don't like it. My opinion is, if you owe it, they can claim it - I'm sure a big bank like Halif!!, who we have our mortgage with, aren't going to 'call in the debt' but you never know. If I don't owe it, they can't take it off me.

I'm also a little bit obsessed with how YNAB works and know, should we ever move house, I just need to print out my YNAB analysis graph things to prove affordability for any new, bigger mortgage.

Urban I believe (hope you don't mind me saying) that if you can over pay £1k a month not being as in touch with your outgoings as you believe I am, if you do get a handle on them, you will really fly and bring that mortgage free date even closer.

I'm going to report on my day now, thanks again for dropping by and keeping me company.
  • Today was.... (drumroll please.....)
    A NSD - woop woop woop - I didn't touch my bank account or the change in my purse.
    It wasn't that hard really - I'm a bit grumpy with OH - he's not really pulling his weight as a Dad at the moment, because he's here to work, had to have words to say, that even here he's not working 24/7 and, if he doesn't do his bit, I am working 24/7 and bringing up his son and that's not fair.
    We'll see if it's hit home - he's usually very good, but not really adjusted to having a 1 year old in tow - it's an annual job and Pickle was only 8weeks old last year, so it was a completely different situation.

Any way- because I was in a grump, I was determined not to spend any money. - so I didn't. (Maybe I need to be in a grump more often...)

so - today's updates...

No using the bank account day (only spends from cash in my purse)
    Didn't even spend any money in my purse so £15 to go to the mortgage OP
    Work out 'work rate' for temperature blanket target
    I did this last night, need to average two days per night of knitting - we'll see
    No crisp day (this is one of my many food temptations)
    Succeeded - 1 chocolate digestive biscuit eaten instead, but still, not bad.
    At least 1 section for job application (of the personal statement
    Done - 8 bullet points of the person spec to go.

Monthly targets
    £75 mortgage overpay currently £79.47 - woop woop de woop
    Temperature blanket 1 day done last night - going to crack on with it after this update - not sure I'm going to stay on target, but if I've got a grump on still, you never know
    Cash spending diary up to date - nothing to record as I didn't spend anything.

Tomorrow
    Low spend day - need to get some cheese,& mushrooms, but I think that's it, need to have another look at the meal plan. - Surely thats under £15 even in the spensive supermarket!!
    Finish job application - hard bit though 'personal qualities section of person spec - all fluffy and not concrete enough for me.
    More knitting
    Not grump at OH (not necessarily in my control though)

Have a great day one and all -

Good night.
  • Not such a great day in the mse front.

The following unnecessary spends are all as a direct result of little Pickle deciding his sleep from 6:30pm-11pm was just a nap and 11:30pm-1am was playtime. I am sooooo tired today.

Low spend day
    Spensive supermarket for mushrooms & cheese £5. This is ok then!!!!
    Treat breakfast because I'm tired and the child loves people watching at cafe'S £7.40.
    Drink & chocolate to keep me awake this evening £3.70.

Impact on budget, have withdrawn all £15 of today's budget from bank so no op today.
    I've still got some cash in my purse but that's because I withdrew cash from the bank.

Finish job application
    No, Pickle still awake so we've come over to Daddy's gig to enjoy the music
    A job for tomorrow instead.

More Knitting
    A bit done last night between 11:30. & 1:00 I'm behind on my target to get to the end of May by the end of July as I won't get any done tonight. Hopefully get some done at nap time tomorrow.

Not grump at oh
    Succeeded so far today. (Told you grumping at hubby was good for my mortgage.

Monthly targets

Mortgage op: no change
    Temperature blanket: getting behind again
    Cash spending diary: need to find a pencil to update!

Tomorrow

Low spend day - no idea what we're doing tomorrow yet.
    Job application
    Knitting
    Bake some brownies for the techies on this gig.

Happy saving everyone.
    Wish.
  • I've been reading through a lot of diaries over the last few weeks, mostly mfw diaries, but also some debt free ones too (in order to pick up even more money saving tips)

A few thoughts have come to mind, but it's not felt appropriate to say them as comments on people's diaries because I d Not want to be seen as preaching, judgemental or having a go.
    I'd just like to share what works for me and what my life experience has taught me.

1) my parents never discussed financial difficulties with us. It wasn't our job to worry about family finances, it's a parent's job to keep their children safe and secure, physically, mentally and emotionally.

That doesn't mean they spent out on us in a ridiculous fashion. They just never let on any worries they had (especially when my dad was made redundant and mum wasn't working)

2) they modelled managing finances well.
    Mum had a little book that she wrote down every expense in (just like YNAB, all your spreadsheets and similar) every week she would collect all the recipts, write the amount in the book and, when the bank statement came, reconciled the statement to the book. (Dad was forever in trouble for buying something/taking cash out and not handing mum the recipt...!)
    As we grew up we helped her do this, great for our maths skills.
    Sometimes we put the recipts in date order for her,
    We read out the shop, the amount, and say what category it would go in.
    We were eventually allowed to use the calculator to add up (well subtract mostly!) the money spent against the balance.

3) I didn't have pocket money until I was 16 and at college. I never felt I missed out and valued money I was given.
    Weekly I had clubs/activities/music lessons I was driveN Round to activities, sweets/ice creams were treats on days when mum and dad said it was ok, not when I wanted it and had the money to pay. (I'm not saying pocket money doesn't work, but not having it has worked for me)

4) when we were given money, at Christmas, birthday or relatives visiting we kept some in a little purse to spend, and the rest was put into a piggy bank to spend on a big thing - I didn't touch my 'big thing' money box until I was 14 and wanted to buy a brand new flute. I'd had second hand up until then, mum and dad said they would find a better quality second hand one, but if I wanted new I'd have to save up for it. A few days later I realised I could crack open the money box and see what I had to start my saving - I then discovered every Christmas mum and dad had emptied the money box and put the money in a bank account for me. I had more than enough to buy the flute, but knew I'd have to replenish my savings if I wanted to do the same in the future.

5) I've stopped saying 'I can't afford that' because it's rarely true. Often I have the money to do it, but it's not budgeted for, or I've saved it for something else, or if I bought that one thing, I wouldn't be able to do something else.
    I'm trying to say now
    'I can't justify spending that'
    'I'm choosing not to spend money on that'
    'I've not got spare for that'
    'Let me see if I can juggle things around to make it possible'

It's been a real eye opener and has led to some honest discussions with friends and family. I don't think my friends and family see me as tight, just careful.

6) I'm a solution focused person, if someone makes a suggestion that doesn't work for me, I try not to dismiss it.
    Using the phrase. 'How about we do xxxx instead?' It means that something still happens, but it works better.

For example a friend said 'how about we go to (insert expensive place with lots of temptations to spend money on tat') on friday.
    My response was...
    A day out on friday sounds fab, but how about we all go in one car together to (insert cheaper free place) your kids can take their scooters we can have a good catch up, then we can treat them all to an ice cream afterwards.

You get the same outcome - spending time with friends and family, but it's on 'cheaper terms'

All this makes me sound really manipulative, it's not meant to at all. I'm trying to share how I manage to live well, with the resources I've got, without being dragged into situations where my spending could get out of control by being honest, but not sharing details of my private financial situation.
  • Today's update....

Sleep deprivation is not good for my spending - I feel like a zombie. All I keep saying to myself is 'All teenagers sleep' - only another 12 years to go WAHHHHHH!

Today's goals

Low spend day - no idea what we're doing tomorrow yet.
    Not really no -
    £4 ish in cash on breakfast with a friend
    £12 on Ice cream sundaes with the hubby and child - but it;s the first ice cream I've bought since we got here.

So, £3 to put in the op pot - I need to start saving some of my daily budget in case I need to do a bit of a bigger shop on Saturday for next week.

Job application
    Not going to get any done tonight - too tired, I've got until the end of the month though, so it's all ok.
    Knitting
    My job after this....
    Bake some brownies for the techies on this gig.
    Probably not going to happen tonight

Progress towards monthly targets

Mortgage: overpay £75 per month - Up to £82.47
    Surveys: £20 a month in cash or vouchers
    Prolific currently at £11 - going to cash out at £20 - might make it by the end of the month
    VO - up to £11.75 so can cash out a £10 JL voucher (£10 of this was already on the account from the last time I made an effort at surveys
    Temperature blanket: End of May by End of July
    Getting further behind with this, need to put a real effort in.
    Keep a cash spending diary Up to date

Tomorrow

Swimming with Pickle - maybe a trip to a local NT place too - hubby has the day off from the gig

Budget of £10 to start building up pennies towards a bigger shop on Saturday (as last Saturday's £15 budget was blown on very little

KNITTING!!!!

Going to the pub with my friend - so job application put on hold again.

Starting to think about August's MSE goals

With only a few days to go until August, maybe I should think about August's MSE goals.
    Absolutely an OP of at least £75 needs to be done (to overpay by what the interest added is.

We're not home for long, before we are away again (for 2weddings & a holiday) so, I can't go mad.
    I think it will be a good sort out of Pickle's things.
    so, let's say 5 items listed on a selling site (this may include bundles of clothes)
    Knitting needs to be on catch up, so I need to get all of June and two weeks of July done on the temperature blanket - with a few long drives coming up (hubby driving) this should be manageable and I might get to my knit club a couple of times too which always helps.
  • Very very late update from me.
    Ive been to the pub with a friend. The first time I've been out of the house on an evening without the child since May (thanks to hubby's work)

So today

Swimming: failed, but we had a lovely, free nt day out

£10 budget blown. £1.45 on milk from the convenience store as I didn't realise there was not enough for breakfast.

£11 on two glasses of wine out with friend - I don't mind this at all. I needed to get out!

I took £20 cash out of the bank tonight So, to stay within budget no cash out or card usage tomorrow. Have transferred tomorrow's extra £5 to a pot for a Saturday top up shop.

Knitting: have done a little bit today, but behind target.

No op to mortgage today, but hubby has transferred august'S bills money to my account. So I've YNAB'd it all. Looks healthy at the moment. Will see how we get on.

Will write a proprupdate tomorrow (technically later today, but who cares?)
  • Yesterday's post seems not to have posted, but I'm sure no one missed it as I am the most boring mfw around.

Today I took £10 cash out of the bank, but haven't spent any of it and then spent £5.74 on birthday cards. Already had stamps in my purse so no cost there.
    I'm going to do some YNAB juggling moving tomorrow's budget in and taking the £10 cash from tomorrow giving me a £4.26 underspend from today to op on the mortgage.

Final direct debit of the month went out today (utilities) dd for £89 but £90 in YNAB pot so another £1 for the op. That makes this month's op pot £87.73 with three more days to go. I can definitely make it to £90, so I'm going to attempt a 'stretch target' to get £100 paid off.

Tomorrow Or Sunday I need to do a more substantial top up shop to get us through our last week here. I may take the 'hit' of driving 20-30 minutes to the next big town for an Aldi. It would definitely make my money go further. Now need to check the cupboards, meal plan and make a shopping list.

Hope everyone has had a good week and is looking forward to the weekend.

Wish
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure