PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Been in Bourne visiting family and had a look in the local charity shops. Found a nice black looks like New leather bag. Brand is Mandarins Duck. Googled it and they are an expensive American make and retail for about £150!!!! I paid £4.50. Chuffed with my bargain.

Ooooh - visiting relly's near Bourne in a few weeks so need to check all the CS out ;) They also have a good auction room there too..........!!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • I got a cerise pink Viyella wool coat in my local CS yesterday for £7.50, a plain double breasted style, with a detachable dark brown fake fur collar. That was immediately detached and donated to the CS as I have a range of fur collars gathered over several years, and a black "persian lamb" one will look great with it. Plus, as it is a little tight, it's being changed to single breasted with different buttons!

It's as new - the vent in the back is still stitched, as are the pockets. Earmarked for a trip to Rome in November!
  • GFN123
    GFN123 Posts: 208 Forumite
    I love this thread! :) I am a CS addict!

Never posted but always read along. I tend to browse and pick up the 'usual' stuff, always on the hunt for good labels (Had Monsoon/Laura Ashley type things before) but today I got really lucky.

In the same (Scope) shop:

Saw a beautiful navy trouser suit hanging up. It looked roughly my size. Being 5'4 finding trousers is a nightmare as short sizes are not standard. This suit fitted like it was made for me, trews and all. Better than that, it was brand new and immaculate! I vaguely recognised the name on the label (Massimo Dutti).

Also in a size 5.5 which I never find, some gorgeous leather shoe boots by Rockport. They looked like good leather and also fitted perfectly.

My lucky day! I did a Google when I got in. The suit would have cost c. £190 and the boots £100 :eek: I paid £10 and £6 respectively!

Sorry for jumping in, I was so excited I just had to share! Happy hunting all :D (one day, I'll find some Louboutins like another lucky poster did...!)
    Proud to be a moneysaver :)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I saw a pair of green stiletto Jimmy Choos like new in a CS window the other day - didn't see how much they were as the shop was closed but who gives those to a CS and doesn't sell them themselves!? They're probably worth at least £300!

Great for us bargain hunters but really, some people have more money than sense!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    Got two beautiful glass tea-light holders with golden scroll design and tiny diamantes - 50p the pair :j. So pleased with them that I gave £1 ;). They looked very grubby, but I've cleaned out the insides - couldn't immerse in hot soapy water due to decorations.

They are so pretty and have now been put into my 'Christmas Table Decorations Storage Box' :D.
  • The ones that got away - I was in Kilkenny a couple of weeks ago, and as usual regard the charity shops as an essential part of my sightseeing. In one shop window was a Chanel handbag and shoes - and the shoes looked like my size (36). But they keep things in the window for a week, and nothing comes out before Tuesday... and I was leaving on Monday.

But I got a silk scarf in shades of cerise, orange and brown, that will go beautifully with the coat I got yesterday!
  • kboss2010
    edited 28 August 2014 at 2:45PM
    I got a heap of bargains today in Dalry, Edinburgh.

90" x 90" blue/green stripy curtains (fully lined) for £10

An M&S Blue Harbour men's grey jumper for £2.99 (RRP £35)

An American Eagle Outfitters men's grey zip up jumper for £4.99 (RRP £30-45)

A sainsburys TU lined shower curtain (as new) £3 (RRP £10)

6 new cotton pillowcases £1.50

imagejpg1_zpsdb1e2dfc.jpg
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Recent finds......

Cotton & silk, M & S, smocky-type top in a sort of minky type colour, very fine and lightweight....just perfect for a long haul touring holiday later this year. BN and price tag was originally £25, I paid £2.50 :j

Minky ironing board in perfect condition with 2 BN covers, £4. Current price on Amazon £39. I have been using my mum's old wooden board for years, dunno why quite!! Am amazed at how much lighter these modern ones are :o Both covers were far too big but with a bit of cannibalisation and me trusty sewing machine I soon sorted that :)

Has a bit of a :eek: experience though....I noticed an older man, rummaging through the ladies shoes in one charity shop. Then he started sniffing them.....yuk!! Dunno if he bought any as I left sharpish! Then, about 15 mins later, there he was in another charity shop rifling through a box of ladies swimwear and underwear.....and yes he was sniffing stuff again! The assistant saw what he was doing but just left him to it.....yuk, I feel ill thinking about it still, *shudders*
  • kboss2010
    There's always one weirdo lol!
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Found a 1900 book of English Poetry for 25p!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure