An update on me

Options

Comments

• miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SAMM - 0845 872 3440

I agree with the other posters - contacting SAMM could be a very positive step for you.
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Not making excuses but i have never been able to run, even when I was skinny as a rake, seems to be common in autistic people I don't know why the only time I could was when I went to the gym when I was 18 even then it was more like jogging I honestly don't understand it that being said I liked the treadmill at the gym.

Its not just in autistic people, everyone struggles at first. I struggled, but once you get past the mental hurdle and you start to see positive steps, it gets easier and you start to enjoy it.
    Personally I don't enjoy the treadmill, I prefer to get outside and run in the fresh air.
    I plan out my route and then either take it easy or push myself (depending on how I feel).
    But once i'm done I get a great satisfaction that I have completed it.
    I have a friend who is autistic and he does 5k parkruns, he is not the quickest but enjoys taking part and keeping fit.

You should definitely have a go, even if its a fast pace walk to start with and then gradually build yourself up.

It's perfect time as spring is here, the weather should get better.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have to say I think everyone and I include myself in that, have wasted our time.

No one who wants to get better forgets to get in contact with people who can support them and then give lame excuses as to why. I forgot. Means its not that important.

Until Dekaspace learns that no one is interested in hearing the same story about a murder from 20 years for the 100th time why they don't want to be friends. He is never going to learn. I get with the autism its makes a bit harder.

No one wants to be friends with people who moan all the time. He even moans about his own friends. But he does not seem to be able to go oh my that's what I do. And learn from it.

He has the power to change his life but chooses not. And thats cool. I found it strange that he posted this thread in the first. An update on me. Kinda want to ask why?

This thread will run and run as Dekaspace will always come back with reply. Think its best to leave it now. As he really does need professional help. And his choice to seek it out or not.

Best of luck what ever you do.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What do you think the solutions are to the issues you are facing Dekaspace and what support would you like to help you to achieve these solutions?
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    I have to say I think everyone and I include myself in that, have wasted our time.

No one who wants to get better forgets to get in contact with people who can support them and then give lame excuses as to why. I forgot. Means its not that important.

Until Dekaspace learns that no one is interested in hearing the same story about a murder from 20 years for the 100th time why they don't want to be friends. He is never going to learn. I get with the autism its makes a bit harder.

No one wants to be friends with people who moan all the time. He even moans about his own friends. But he does not seem to be able to go oh my that's what I do. And learn from it.

He has the power to change his life but chooses not. And thats cool. I found it strange that he posted this thread in the first. An update on me. Kinda want to ask why?

This thread will run and run as Dekaspace will always come back with reply. Think its best to leave it now. As he really does need professional help. And his choice to seek it out or not.

Best of luck what ever you do.

Yours

Calley x

Please read again, I did contact but the different people as I assumed they meant something totally different

Insulting to say "lame" excuses.

If I had zero intentions I would never of attempted anything, I have moved to this area for work, away from the support of family as its a area with no real work, and high rents, I go to college and have attempted education other times in past few years.

And just goes to show people don't focus on what has been done in the past, if I had zero intention to get help I wouldn't of basically begged GP for counselling, I wouldn't of asked for CBT, I wouldn't of asked for CPN, I wouldn't of asked for job coach, I wouldn't of asked for social work support, I wouldnt of filled in that 40 page application for social housing and phoned up pestering, I would still be in a property with a collapsed ceiling.

The point is though when I have a low I basically curl in a ball its like having a literal hangover I feel so miserable and that in the moment takes up the time and energy, when I feel better I do things.

I mean if you looked at the words SAMH and SAMM isn't it clear that they look so similar so someone might of made a mistake?

And by the way to let you know I was going to contact them today, on my first day off this week, and the form for SAMH was in my bag Wednesday but an appointment I had ran over so I didn't have the time.

I was scatterbrained before so imagine what its like now, I have terrible short term memory but I can remember things as far back as 30 years ago as if they were yesterday, the times I do remember for the charity is like when im already in town, would take assuming I walked on a bus instantly, picked up form instantly got back on bus instantly 40 minues, but more likely at least a hour if not close to 2 hours due to traffic and unreliable buses, and considering the charity closes at 4pm every day doesn't give much chance.

My brain and this is the autism follows a pattern of pure logic, years ago before the issues (hard to word since it may "bring up" the past events) I remember people offering me to go to a party even implying that it was a certainty that I would not come home alone, and I would get free drinks all night, I would say no as I felt tired, that is even knowing that its a good thing to go for my social life my brain saw logic as health comes first.

Did you know I have been speaking to CALM online quite a few times? I tend to leave it to when I am at my worst though, if I wasn't bothered I wouldn't speak to them.

By the way the murder was nowhere near 20 years ago, considering I said it happened in my 20s do you think I am in my 40's? Especially when I talked about being at school in the mid 90s.

That is treating me like stupid, I mean if someone who doesn't know the history of me for example says "well you say you can't do X" or "why don't you try Y" I need to explain that I have already done them where is the line?

By the way I NEVER bring up the murder to strangers in real life, only a friend I made at the time and one I already knew even knows about it

I mean !!!!!! how many times do I have to make it clear

I AM DIFFERENT IN REAL LIFE THAN ONLINE!!!

In the real world I am quiet and timid and thats part of the problem, people pass their own problems onto me and I end up being the sponge which makes me feel worse, so I talk about it on places like this because that way I don't have to upset people to their face.

The friends I have had over the years often become long term ones once I get past the first hurdle which is first impressions, as I am timid and shy/nervous they assume me to be boring once I chat to someone they realise im a interesting person hence like I say I get invited to parties but problem is I don't want to do things like that, other times its like because I am timid and not interacting with others they again assume im not interested in hanging around with them, and age plays a part in that too as obviously at college many people are in late teens and very early 20s they don't invite me but as soon as I make it known I am interested I get invited all the time again and if I then take it further I have the opportunity of hanging around with them all the time inc after class.

I can understand them, even historically seeing this shy nervous nerdy guy and assuming im not interested in going to a pub and club and partying, but it was more so that I was but alongside everyday things rather than every night.

So yes as I have said and keep saying I am a different person online than in person, if anyone on here met me in person they would assume I am a totally different person
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jox wrote: »
    What do you think the solutions are to the issues you are facing Dekaspace and what support would you like to help you to achieve these solutions?

General point is almost literal a real world helping hand, I have so much racing through my head that I have no strucutre and im not talking say being told I have college/work 9-5 and a guest coming round maybe once a week between 6-10pm on a Friday I mean more in the sense that there may be X amount of things that I can do, go to gym, go for a walk, even read a book but since all the options are in my head at once my brain essentially locks up then ends up doing nothing which then makes me upset as I wasted a day.

Its more like a confirmation and a real person confirming an action to do, then once done rather than a "good job" sort of response saying thats it out of my system and look how easy it was.

Then if I have a bad day I can explain the issue I had and they can help me work out a solution

I don't want a pat on the back, as much as my brain to tick something off so I haven't got such a backlog.
    bmthmark wrote: »
    Its not just in autistic people, everyone struggles at first. I struggled, but once you get past the mental hurdle and you start to see positive steps, it gets easier and you start to enjoy it.
    Personally I don't enjoy the treadmill, I prefer to get outside and run in the fresh air.
    I plan out my route and then either take it easy or push myself (depending on how I feel).
    But once i'm done I get a great satisfaction that I have completed it.
    I have a friend who is autistic and he does 5k parkruns, he is not the quickest but enjoys taking part and keeping fit.

You should definitely have a go, even if its a fast pace walk to start with and then gradually build yourself up.

It's perfect time as spring is here, the weather should get better.

Its not a mental hurdle its more a physical even now I like exercise it was just something even historically that never went far as I say even when I went to the gym I couldn't run, more like slow jog (only difference was I could slow jog for long periods) I actually fast pace walk faster than I run and thats no joke, and when I walk people tell me to slow down to get at the speed thing even when I was much younger and slim a mature out of shape person could run faster than me and go for longer, at sports in class I was always slowest again even the heavily overweight people did better at cross country) it is so obvious that it was one of the things people made fun of in fact the most common reason.

I excelled at slower sports like hockey, basketball, Tennis, badminton, I say slower but it was more a reaction time and a jolt of energy rather than a actual run.

Always wanted to play football but have never been able to control a ball, again didn't know I was autistic till like 10 years ago so never knew reason why.
  • Jox
    Options
    You kind of want a supportive partner or a personal assistant :)

Maybe be your own supportive partner and have a board on the wall at home or just stick paper up with all the things you want to achieve, ideas for things to do, motivational phrases - and look at this to remind yourself of all the positive things you want to do and maybe give yourself gold stars when you achieve them!

Treat yourself kindly, like you would treat a little child and nurture yourself.

Have a look on Pinterest for "motivational vision board" for ideas.
  • dekaspace
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks, is that the best way to call it though? As im the same in the workplace I get anxious unless I know what I am doing is correct, id even say the same for education I need constant confirmation else I think I am making an error and it causes anxiety.

I do think in some ways I need to be treated more child like, in the sense I need a somewhat strict told what to do, not because I am being naughty but then i'd get something done at first chance, then feel good for doing it and have someone there to tell me I have basically finished my chores else I feel like "oh I have 3 short phone calls to make today, its 9am they are open to 5, plenty of time ill leave it to later when I am feeling more relaxed and ready" but I never feel ready.

Sorry going into detail just giving an opinion.

I did buy some post its a while back, the biggest hurdle there will be like I say, or to put into different words if I write a post it to see it as something other than just words on paper.

Thanks for help.
  • Jox
    Options
    Some time ago a lady who was training to be a life coach needed someone to "practice on" while she was gaining her qualification and I was her guinea pig.

We had Skype sessions and phone calls and we worked out the areas I needed to improve on and she came up with some suggestions and I had to fill out some worksheets. She was very helpful and encouraging.

Maybe you could try this website to see if you can get some free lifecoach sessions?

https://coachmefree.com/

If you have a supportive friend / family member / work colleague / someone at college that you can confide in, tell them that you need some positive comments to give you confidence to move forward in life.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »

I do think in some ways I need to be treated more child like, in the sense I need a somewhat strict told what to do, not because I am being naughty but then i'd get something done at first chance, then feel good for doing it and have someone there to tell me I have basically finished my chores else I feel like "oh I have 3 short phone calls to make today, its 9am they are open to 5, plenty of time ill leave it to later when I am feeling more relaxed and ready" but I never feel ready.

That's just life Deka. We all procrastinate and put off the things we don't want to do. (Took me 12 months to get round to finding someone to fix my guttering in part because I kept putting it off for various not very good reasons).
    You need to find ways to motivate yourself then reward yourself for doing the things you've been avoiding.

As an aside, and going back to your earlier comment about running, you may be interested to know that some people with autism have difficulties with proprioception. Which is the body's sense of where the different parts are and what they are doing in relation to each other. For some people that would impact to a greater or less degree on physical activity and how easy/difficult people may find it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure