PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer advice wanted

Comments

• crisp
    crisp Posts: 435 Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    What more "feedback" do you want? They've told you the answer - they ain't selling for less than £935k - what part of that isn't clear?

Hello Timmy! The bit where they didnt say to the agent what they want and he kind of read between the lines and said maybe £935k-940k.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The problem is nobody you are dealing with is interested in the true value of the property. The vendor and the agent are trying to squeeze your pips. I would hold on.

Whilst there are no other potential buyers, you hold the reins. If there were another buyer, you would have been told. Hold tight and tell them you will walk if your offer is not accepted in the next x days.

My last two purchases were originally offered at £1m and I paid £730k and then £1.5m and I paid £1.3m so I am a firm believer in that everything is negotiable. Just got to hold your nerve with the agent since they act for the vendor, not you.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • crisp
    crisp Posts: 435 Forumite
    Whilst there are no other potential buyers, you hold the reins. If there were another buyer, you would have been told. Hold tight and tell them you will walk if your offer is not accepted in the next x days.

Do you think its worth meeting the agent to discuss or just leave it hanging?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    crisp wrote: »
    Hello Timmy! The bit where they didnt say to the agent what they want and he kind of read between the lines and said maybe £935k-940k.

Well, given your £922k and someone else's £925k has been rejected, I'd say the lines are pretty clear and £935k is a fairly strong maybe, don't you? But if you need a figure spelled out for you, refer to the asking price and offer it.

You need to decide if you want the house, or want faff around haggling for what you believe to be the best price and risk losing out for an amount which is less than one percent of the purchase price - hardly material in the grand scheme of things is it?

The vendor is clearly in no hurry to sell, and despite the price drops, probably still thinks it's worth (and psychologically wants to receive) more than a million for the place. You don't have a million to spend, but do have a timetable to keep to. You therefore need to move quickly to establish whether there's even the possibility of doing a deal, or whether the vendor is simply deluded. If they are, there's nothing you can do about that.

If you're willing and able to offer £930k, suggest you do so, but make it clear that's your max, or as near as dammit to - if that gets a more positive response then you've got the basis for a deal, if not, simply move on and find somewhere else - you can't force someone to sell, or accept your offer.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Crashy, is that the same gut feeling you get about every single property that anyone's offering on?

No, just this one. Don`t think my view is that unique though....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/greedy-fantasists--how-existing-12219038
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    No, just this one. Don`t think my view is that unique though....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/greedy-fantasists--how-existing-12219038

What a surprise crashy posts an irrelevant link..

From the same paper that brought you....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/soaring-house-prices-mean-now-11993956

Aww poor Crashy, should have bought years ago, how much rent have you paid out in the last 20 years? I bet more than the bedsit you are renting cost 20 yrs ago..
  • Crashy_Time
    One article is about average prices being high on tiny sales volumes, the other is about people who will never ever sell their house (based on their belief that the high average means THEIR house price should also be high) at kite flying prices. Don`t really see your problem with the articles?
  • buggy_boy
    One article is about average prices being high on tiny sales volumes, the other is about people who will never ever sell their house (based on their belief that the high average means THEIR house price should also be high) at kite flying prices. Don`t really see your problem with the articles?

The OP was asking for advice about his specific situation not about general house prices, go to debate house prices forum on here instead of hijacking loads of threads.
  • Crashy_Time
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    The OP was asking for advice about his specific situation not about general house prices, go to debate house prices forum on here instead of hijacking loads of threads.

My advice to the OP was that the house is over-priced and that they should walk away until the seller drops the price.
  • buggy_boy
    My advice to the OP was that the house is over-priced and that they should walk away until the seller drops the price.

Thats your response to every post.... Are you Scottish by any chance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure