Help! Advice desperately needed!

Comments

• MXW
    MXW Posts: 563
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply.
    Update......
    It seems that the meter has been read incorrectly, it's way out. The guy who read the meter said he couldn't begin to understand how he could have got the reading he had.

My meter was read a fortnight ago and I still haven't received a revised bill! I have cancelled my direct debit, and they won't be getting any payment from me until I have been issued with a revised bill.

Thanks again for your input.
  • Any update on this?
  • MXW
    Forumite
    edited 22 March 2018 at 7:03PM
    Any update on this?

Yes...there is an update

After 2 weeks and no revised bill I rang them again! I was told that they had received the revised reading but the bill had not been issued!

I have now received the revised bill and it is pretty much on a par with my previous bills.

Have received no apology.... nothing!
  • MXW
    Forumite
    Any update on this?

Yes...there is an update

After 2 weeks and no revised bill I rang them again! I was told that they had received the revised reading but the bill had not been issued!

I have now received the revised bill and it is pretty much on a par with my previous bills.

Have received no apology.... nothing!
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    oddly I have just had to have a long conversation with Yorkshire Water

there are only two of us at home and a usage of 269 Cubic meters

We share a bath, 3 loads of washings a week, no dishwasher, rarely water garden

They say they see there is no leaks externally from a device they have on the meter

However, my monthly payment is £75 and when I was on a standing charge it was about £30

I wish I could go back this has been so expensive

I do have a daughter home from uni for a few weeks but that is only an extra bath a day :-(
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    dipsy wrote: »
    there are only two of us at home and a usage of 269 Cubic meters

(

That is approx 2.5 times more than average consumption for a couple.

It is easy enough to check if you have a leak by switching off all water and observing the water meter.

If you have a internal leak the main culprit is the toilet(s) where water can leak(silently) from the cistern to the bowl.
  • dipsy
    Yes, that is what we are going to do, turn it off at the internal stop !!!!
    take a reading go to work, take a reading and see

Then we will turn on the internal one and turn off the external one and repeat

They say they have a gadget on it though that shows external leaks so who knows

The toilet is definitely not leaking water like a urinal (if you get my drift)

So god knows, will do the above and then see

When they installed the meter I questioned the bill and there was an external leak which they fixed, so I wonder if their repair has failed?
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
  • dipsy
    Update

YW came out today, seems ever since they have installed my meter it has been reading my water and next door (3 bed semi that was converted in 2014 to a HMO)

so in essence, we have been paying for our water and for an additional 5 showers/5 toilets and a dishwasher.... that would explain

Question is once they rectify how do I go about getting the rebate?

thanks
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    dipsy wrote: »

Question is once they rectify how do I go about getting the rebate?

thanks

The normal procedure, once they fix the problem, is to monitor your meter over a few weeks and using that consumption figure to estimate your consumption since the meter was fitted.

So the lesson is to be very frugal with water over the monitoring period.

I would also try to get a goodwill payment!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure