Locating a old trust fund account NatWest

Options
I am currently trying to locate a unit trust fund investment that was originally arranged by my grandad for me to access when I reached 18. This was invested in with NatWest bank in 1996. My grandad passed away some years ago but with hindsight he put my mother’s name on the trust as the second named adult. I have visited my local NatWest branch as instructed and they were unable to help me as they were unable to find any records of such a fund. at this visit, staff took photocopies of both mine and my mother’s identification and all documents we possess relating to it. We were told that the database originally used to setup this fund had long expired and that the system held no record of the fund in question anymore.
Following numerous telephone calls to a number of departments we were promised that this would be investigated and we would receive correspondence of some kind kind in due course. This was back in June 2013 and to date no contact has been received. When this was followed up no-one took responsibility but were instructed to visit the Wood Green branch as this was branch the fund was originally set up at. Upon visiting the branch, yet again no-one was able to assist us.

I was then forwarded to a NatWest representative & I wrote to them. They concluded that the funds had been encashed by my Grandad somewhere between June 1996-September 2002, yet I still have documents of the funds manifestation after 1996 and my Grandad had not stepped back into the country since he set up the unit trust account in 1996 so this would be impossible. My mother and father have purchased and investigated his files both in the U.K. and abroad to track any funds or transactions relating to NatWest during the said period and nothing has been found. In addition, any funds have certainly not been paid to any executor as he did not have an executor long before his death.
I have plenty more information & letters back and forth with NatWest. Something I found extremely odd was that the NatWest representative that I traded letters with back and forth had offered me a monetary gesture of £200 (nowhere near the amount invested by my grandad), Of which I turned down - it was almost an insult to me. My stepdad is going through something similar with NatWest at the moment as his father has just passed away and is trying to locate his father’s bank account from 1965, again NatWest have told him they have no record of the account. Something isn’t right.

Naturally I am frustrated with this whole process as my grandad left me these funds and trusted the bank in good faith that they would be available for me to access when I was 18, I’m 21 now and still no further on in my pursuit to gain access to any details or how they have matured over this period. My grandfather was led to believe that investing in such funds for me, given the choice by NatWest to have them available at 18 years of age would actually manifest. How can you sell funds to customers with a expiry date that you can not fulfil due to not having access nor record of the original details? How is it that they can happily take funds from customers not knowing how on Earth they can access them in the future?

I plan to take this legally but have no idea where to start. Any advice would help me vastly.
Thanks

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was this unit trust investment a lump sum or a monthly payment?

If monthly; does any statement of his account exist with a reference number which might give us a clue of where to start.

I would be very wary of starting legal action which will cost you money but you have no guarantee that gramps did not cash in the investment as they indicated.

I'm not surprised that the branch did not hold records as business such as this would have been dealt with by whoever ran their investment business.
    Although this article is quite old have a read and see where it takes you.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-1692513/How-to-track-down-your-lost-money.html
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My (limited) experience of NatWest investment accounts is that Branch will know nothing about it.

I recently had to deal with my mother's NatWest investment account and branch had no record - but the helpful people on the telephone at the number on her investment documents knew all about it.
  • simmessi
    Options
    Hi,

it was a lump sum. My grandad passed away in 03 and hasn’t stepped foot into the U.K since 1996 which wouldn’t have been possible anyway since he was incredibly ill. as I still have documents of the unit trust manifestation some years after it was opened I know it couldn’t have been cashed out previously. NatWest representative told me it might’ve been transferred to Aviva in 2002, I’ve contacted Aviva and they have no record of it.
    Thanks I’m going to have a read of that article now
  • simmessi
    Options
    Not only can’t Natwest locate the record, but they don’t have a clue about this particular unit trust account either. It’s called a ‘fund of funds account’
    I’ve tried elsewhere and had no luck either.
    Really frustrating
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts