Does an account without overdraft affect score?

2»

Comments

• PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As others have said, your 'score' is not too important as only you see it. I do not agree that it is 'made up', but it is just a guide for you, produced by Experian or whoever to give you an idea where you stand. It is nothing more than that.

But as far as your credit history goes- yes a current account (including a basic one) can have an impact and unless you manage the account badly, it is usually a positive impact. Not going over your limit or continually having payments returned will result on good conduct being reported back.

i think basic account types can be of great value to people with limited or impaired credit history trying to rebuild their profile.
  • lolcaz
    lolcaz Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Disregarding the worth of a credit score altogether, yes, it does have an impact.

I became a massive bank tart and opened several accounts for several switching bonuses. My credit score did take a hit, as I made lots of applications and my overall account age dropped.

Should you worry about it? Probably not. In a year, these applications won't be seen on the report anyway, and you'll have just blagged yourself some free cash for the trouble.

If you're only doing one switch, I can't imagine it making the slightest bit of difference to any lenders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure