the safest nation?

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why don't you try Citibank - they operate in Singapore, Australia and the USA. HSBC tend only to offer cross-country services to their premier (rich) customers.
  • gedio00
    gedio00 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2016 at 4:34PM
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    From what I understand of your question, if you want to get away from the Italian system then you shouldn't open an account in Singapore or Australia with an Italian bank (if that's even possible?). Though Italian brands aren't necessarily Italian banks - HSBC in America is an American bank, not a British bank (HSBC is British not Chinese).

Was an example to formulate the question. It could be call country "A" and , bank in a country "A" belonging to a country "B".
  • gedio00
    edited 16 May 2016 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Actually in a mail i recive with all the differnt accounts they offer the one it looks the one for my case it would be this one :

Multi Currency Savings Account - denominated in 5 major currencies (ie SGD, EUR, USD, GBP and AUD)
    • Attractive interest rates
    • Comes with internet banking facilities - no ATM/ debit card/ checking facilities will be issued with this account
    • A flat fee of SGD5 will be levied per visit for transactions at branch counter
    • Please refer to the following link for more information on this account:

I can't put the link where they give some more details , but they say the elegibility is for resident. and no resident.
  • gedio00
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    HSBC in America is an American bank, not a British bank (HSBC is British not Chinese).

So HSBC is british but in SIngapore a singapor bank , and in Australia is an Australian bank?
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2014/03/11/how-safe-is-your-money-in-hsbc-holdings-plc/
    I believe that few other banks, if any, can match HSBC's combination of long-term growth potential and massive financial strength.

Not sure who this guy is though.:D
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    Options
    gedio00 wrote: »
    So HSBC is british but in SIngapore a singapor bank , and in Australia is an Australian bank?

HSBC France, is owned by HSBC, but a French bank. Its a subsidiary.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HSBC Singapore branch is providing the nice services.

And you get free :spam: with every account.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some points:

In most major countries the interest paid on bank accounts is less than the rate of inflation. So if you keep your money in a bank you will lose some of it every year: to that extent it is not safe;

Bank failures are fairly unusual, and I would be more worried about inflation and depreciation of the currency than about the risk of a bank failure. In most modern economies there are government guarantees that protect individual savers up to a reasonable limit;

Avoid HSBC. I had major problems with them when I tried to operate an account with HSBC (UK) from Malaysia; two of my family members (one of whom used to work for them) also give many good reasons to avoid them..
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    Voager2002 you are replying to a two year old question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure