My Bankruptcy journey

Options

Comments

• haggis0073
    haggis0073 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    i think i put in around £700 for my groceries (2 adults, 3 kids) and that was not even questioned, car parking is easily 20 amonth, car maintanance is low also as is clothing, haircuts etc

What i mean by the above is that NO IPA should be sought, i would certainly challenge the IPA for such a low amount, it would not be worth the OR taking it to court for that amount as would probably cost them more to get an IPO.

personally i would challenge the IPA and up the groceries and make sure you go over your budget slightly
  • haggis0073
    Options
    remember that just because you are now bankrupt it does not mean you are not allowed to have a decent standard of living
  • Maverick1103
    Options
    haggis0073 wrote: »
    i think i put in around £700 for my groceries (2 adults, 3 kids) and that was not even questioned, car parking is easily 20 amonth, car maintanance is low also as is clothing, haircuts etc

What i mean by the above is that NO IPA should be sought, i would certainly challenge the IPA for such a low amount, it would not be worth the OR taking it to court for that amount as would probably cost them more to get an IPO.

personally i would challenge the IPA and up the groceries and make sure you go over your budget slightly

Well our groceries combined is £570 (310 + 260), I also have 2 of my own kids who stop with me every other weekend, I was thinking of contacting the OR to state that my groceries are lower than I thought, however, it's where I take the money from to add to my groceries as I feel I've cut back anyway.

The confusing pat is the above figures show I have £5 surplus so how can the OR come up with £24? Surely that's not right or they feel I can cut back with certain things, which if I can then I'd be looking to add it towards groceries.

:undecided
  • haggis0073
    Options
    by looking at your SOA the only thing i can see that they may have refused you is entertainment, you should ask the OR how he came to the IPA amount, if it is due to the entertainment then simply add it towards your groceries, you are well within any kinda trigger figures so that must be the only thing that has caused an IPA IMO
  • haggis0073
    Options
    By upping the amounts on your SOA will mean you are in surplus, you can then explain to the OR that you are trying to cut back on the grocerie budget (to help figures balance) but also stating that you feel the new revised grocery budget is realistic

Did you have any debt advice during the BR procedure, if so then give your advisor a quick call/email and see what they say about the IPA, the more advice the better

Just remember that an IPA is an agreement, if you dont agree then dont sign and certainly i would challenge it. I would be very surprised if they took this to court to get an IPO for such a low amount

There will be more people along shortly that will know the correct procedure when challenging an IPA :)
  • Maverick1103
    Options
    by looking at your SOA the only thing i can see that they may have refused you is entertainment, you should ask the OR how he came to the IPA amount, if it is due to the entertainment then simply add it towards your groceries, you are well within any kinda trigger figures so that must be the only thing that has caused an IPA IMO

The entertainment is actually sports activities for myself, there wasn't a section.
    By upping the amounts on your SOA will mean you are in surplus, you can then explain to the OR that you are trying to cut back on the grocerie budget (to help figures balance) but also stating that you feel the new revised grocery budget is realistic

Did you have any debt advice during the BR procedure, if so then give your advisor a quick call/email and see what they say about the IPA, the more advice the better

Just remember that an IPA is an agreement, if you dont agree then dont sign and certainly i would challenge it. I would be very surprised if they took this to court to get an IPO for such a low amount

There will be more people along shortly that will know the correct procedure when challenging an IPA :)

I had advice from StepChange, they wen't over the SOA orignally with me before I completed the application, they did state that certain elements were low however they believed with my -£29 I wouldn't get an IPA, so I think I will call them back and see what they say.

Am I able to email the case officer who I had the phone call with or do I need to write directly to the OR?
  • haggis0073
    Options

Am I able to email the case officer who I had the phone call with or do I need to write directly to the OR?

i would have to let someone else help you on that bit as not sure sorry, someone will have the answer i'm sure :)
  • Maverick1103
    Options
    i would have to let someone else help you on that bit as not sure sorry, someone will have the answer i'm sure :)

No problem, thanks for your help on this. I've just emailed the case officer anyway as would've thought this day in age communication via email would be acceptable.
  • Gaz1
    Gaz1 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all does my soa have to match up with the figures i gave in the initial form or does it have to go more in depth as i left out the debt payments or what would have been my current outgoing outweigh my income by £200 per month
  • Maverick1103
    Options
    Gaz1 wrote: »
    Hi all does my soa have to match up with the figures i gave in the initial form or does it have to go more in depth as i left out the debt payments or what would have been my current outgoing outweigh my income by £200 per month

Well when I completed my application my SOA only had a payment to a CCJ and HMRC overpayment, all my other creditors I left off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure