Work blaming me for something I couldn’t avoid!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Les79 wrote: »
    Never understood why people got jobs in places where they can't access.

It may be because there are no suitable jobs in the places they can access and moving closer may not be feasible.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Whilst I agree it's the employee's duty to get to work, it does seem a little unfair given that you were honest by phoning work up when you could have easily claimed sickness.
  • Whilst I agree it's the employee's duty to get to work, it does seem a little unfair given that you were honest by phoning work up when you could have easily claimed sickness.

Well, yes, but waiting till 6:30 (start time) to then walk home and only then to phone and let them know their lift hadn't shown and they wouldn't try any other means of getting in?

If they had phoned earlier, when it became obvious that the lift wasn't showing then something may have been sorted for them.

Also it would have at least given the employer a chance to organise their workforce in advance instead of only realising they were short of labour when the sift started.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    It may be because there are no suitable jobs in the places they can access and moving closer may not be feasible.

Ok, but how is taking a job which you can't access the solution to this problem?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Les79 wrote: »
    Ok, but how is taking a job which you can't access the solution to this problem?

Maybe the OP sold his car for some reason, was banned, car was a write off as it was in an accident, OP moved to where is now so he could be nearer a family member.

Until the OP comes back its all speculation really.
  • George.jh wrote: »
    So I wake up at 5:30am for work get read to leave and gone by 5:50am

I agree with everyone else and also....ewwww! 20 minutes to shower, breakfast, clean teeth, do hair?!

Also, a 40 minute bike ride is really not that onerous - even in the rain. I ride every single day, come rain or shine.

OP, you have no right to have it allocated as a holiday.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I agree with everyone else and also....ewwww! 20 minutes to shower, breakfast, clean teeth, do hair?!

Also, a 40 minute bike ride is really not that onerous - even in the rain. I ride every single day, come rain or shine.

I’m fairness 20 minutes is about what I take in the morning. I don’t eat breakfast at home and I’m bald so I only need to shower, dress and brush my teeth. 20 minutes is more than enough time!:rotfl:
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Shower, 3-4 minutes, 5-6 if I wash my hair.
    Teeth, brush 2 minutes, floss about 1 minute.
    Dried naturally while brushing my teeth so put some deodorant on and get dressed.
    Moisturise face 30 seconds.
    If it is a beard trim day add 2 minutes.
    Comb hair.
    Put porridge and water in bowl, microwave for 3 minutes.
    Eat porrdige.

In the morning I get up at 6:40, my kids wake up at 7am, the above is always done with time to spare.

I don't think a forty minute bike ride is a biggie either, the only thing that could prevent you doing this is not having a shower available at work.
  • GwylimT wrote: »

I don't think a forty minute bike ride is a biggie either, the only thing that could prevent you doing this is not having a shower available at work.

Depends what you do, of course. If it's a "dirty" job then not having had a shower in the morning after your bike ride doesn't really matter.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Whilst I agree it's the employee's duty to get to work, it does seem a little unfair given that you were honest by phoning work up when you could have easily claimed sickness.

Companies have policies for managing sickness, both real and imaginary. Furthermore, sickness, even if it's totally genuine, isn't a get out of jail free card - a company is perfectly within its rights, and the law, to terminate your employment because of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure