Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, may i join this thread?

I have never been the most groomed person but when i was younger I was slim and pretty and could get away with it. After hitting my mid 30s i gained weight and just let everything slide - make up, dying my roots, buying new clothes etc. I am now heavier that I was at full term in any of my pregnancies and I have got to the stage where i look in the mirror and have no idea who this woman is! :eek:

I want 2018 to be the year the really me returns with improvements! Being older (I will turn 45 this year) means i must make more effort that I did when I was young. I can't think what my word/phrase should be for the year, but im hoping by the end of the year I will be able to look in the mirror and say "Still got it" ;)

Yesterday I started with the perfume as I too have bottle i save for best which is a joke as i never actually go anywhere fancy (i doubt Tesco counts), and I filed and painted my nails for the first time in at least 6 months.

Today I watched a tutorial on doing hair like Diana Dors when she was young (I love vintage) and I also bought some 50s style clothes in a sale, so I have the start of a new wardrobe :)

Goals for the year:

Get hair cut regularly (currently 2x a year)
    Iron my clothes
    Buy new clothes from shops, not charity shops
    Lose weight and get toned!!
    Put on make up
    Do my nails
    Keep shaving my legs (shed the werewolf)
    Love myself more (I have very low self esteem)

I hope that wasnt too long for a first post? I'm really looking forward to being part of this group :D
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Last year I noticed the thread title but never dipped in. So here I am wanting to join in but unlikely to post often.

I'm 70 and a widow since mid-2016. Thought I'd found a new man but he suddenly had to end it - I believe his children (daughter in particular) couldn't cope with his finding someone else 18 months after their mother died. Any way, it made me realise there could be romance even at my age and I need to be sure I'm as attractive as I can be.

After being obese for years, I'm now in the middle (21.2) of the BMI healthy weight scale. Having to buy new clothes. Have been wearing flat shoes for more than a year but bought some leather court shoes with 3" stiletto type heels yesterday in M&S sale - they are comfortable. Don't want to be mutton dressed as lamb but do want to be "fab".

Need to tone up where I can - loss of weight means midriff and thighs need attention. Will try swimming - there's a pool nearby which I'll try.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 8:52PM
    Welcome dandy-candy & anamenottaken :hello:

You have come to the right place to get ‘fabbing’ - lots of tips and ideas from the lovely ladies on this thread :)

Maman - I have been on my own mostly to the Balmer Lawn but twice now with a friend from work - we get on really well together but she is 20 years younger than me & has a young family so cannot go on the Spa days very often. Your people watching today sounded like fun - I really hope that I don’t end up looking like that either :eek:

Indie - hope you have some luck with your internet dating ;)

Did manage to paint my nails on Friday night and I intend to make this a weekly habit - they look so much nicer with a bit of colour on them :)

Hope you have all had a nice weekend :j
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    indiepanda wrote: »
    I adore Audrey Hepburn, she was just so elegant. Couldn't persuade myself to watch the remake, for me nothing could live up to Audrey! She came across as being beautiful inside and out.

I was lucky enough to visit the Opera House in Milan over the holidays and watched a documentary about Maria Callas. When she wanted to make herself more popular, she began transforming herself into Hepburn.

Me, I suspect I have too many ribs.... the outfits had TINY waists!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • . . .

Over recent decades (!) waists have increased in relation to hips - because women's bodies have changed.

Have you noticed how many brands are trying to flatter us by assigning lower numbers to clothes? That is, for example I'm now wearing size 10 dresses but the last time my body was the size it is now I would have been wearing 12 or 14.
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi all,

I managed some fabbing last night as did 35 mins of yoga then had a bath and defuzzed my legs. Also made sure to moisturise my body afterwards - I always do otherwise I feel horrible. I had rubbed some coconut oil into my scalp before washing my hair as my scalp has been so dry since having DS but not sure if it really helped.

Poor DS didn't really settle at all last night and was waking hourly. He had quite a few dirty nappies so unsure if he is teething again or had a sore tummy. Ended up taking him into our bed at 5am & he slept for 3 hours - longest stretch of the night. As a consequence none of us are remotely fab in my house today - I managed the minimum of getting dressed and washing and moisturising my face/brushing my teeth and that's about it. :o Did more yoga tonight though.

Having a bit of backward & forward with my mum as she thinks I'm not feeding my DS enough carbs and giving him too much fruit/veg which is why he's having episodes of lots of dirty nappies. I think he just tends to get them when he's teething and he hasn't been well with various colds/bugs etc for the last wee while either so that's not helped. She panics too much and then tries to tell me what I'm doing wrong (in her opinion). My DH is getting annoyed with her and I'm just getting a bit stressed out. :cool:

Hi to the other newbies btw. :hello:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :wave: Great to see more new posters. Welcome!

Sorry to hear you're mum is giving you a hard time sashy . I'm sure she means well but that doesn't make it any easier. :( Good to hear you are spending the time you can on yourself though.

Looking forward to chatting with you all very soon. :)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Ladies and a warm welcome to all of you newbies,

I went for a lovely Nigerian/Caribbean meal with my daughter last night. I had bought a Groupon for the meal last November. We had a long wait before our starter was finally served to us, but it was certainly worth the wait. My daughter and I just chatted away to each other as we were waiting and this was a perfect opportunity for some Mother and daughter bonding. I rarely drink alcohol, but cocktails were part of the meal, so I had a Mojito which tasted very refreshing and not too alcoholic for my almost teetotal taste buds. My daughter had a Disaronno Delight. I had to verify that she was 25 as our waitress had assumed she was too young to legally drink alcohol, which would have made her 15 or younger. :rotfl: A 16 year old is legally allowed to drink alcohol in a restaurant if they are also having a meal and dining with an adult aged 18 years plus. My daughter will eventually appreciate looking much younger than her chronological age when she is older. :D

My daughter had a spicy beef, rocket and Parmesan salad for her starter and I had salt fish fritters with capon mayonnaise and salad leaves. My main was jerk chicken with gravy, rice & peas and salad leaves with a drizzle of dressing and macaroni cheese. My daughter's main was a jerk chicken breast fillet burger with salad served with chunky triple cooked chips and fried dumplings. The food was an amazing feast of delectable tastes and textures. :D

I wore my black M & S heatgen long sleeved evening top with my black pull on M & S Autograph spotted paneled skirt with my black leather Clarks boots, a black acrylic scarf, my black long line leather jacket, my black leather gloves and my black faux fur trimmed hat. I was carrying my new black leather Osprey handbag which was a Christmas present from my favourite sister. :D I wore a solid silver & single stone diamonique ring, a solid silver necklace with a spiral with crystals pendant, solid silver hoop earrings with my stainless steel and diamond Ingersoll watch. I wore perfume, but did not bother with any make up.

As soon as I got home, I bought another Groupon for this restaurant because we had a fantastic night out even though the service was slow. The waitress kept her cool even though the restaurant was busy and she had a lot of tables to take care of. She was courteous and attentive and had a beautiful smile. :D She seemed very surprised when I left her a £5 tip. :)

As I am now unemployed and do not know if or when I will get my next job, I have to be careful about spending money on nights outs. Groupon vouchers make it possible for me and my daughter to still have the odd enjoyable meal in a restaurant this year.
  • After being obese for years, I'm now in the middle (21.2) of the BMI healthy weight scale. Having to buy new clothes. Have been wearing flat shoes for more than a year but bought some leather court shoes with 3" stiletto type heels yesterday in M&S sale - they are comfortable. Don't want to be mutton dressed as lamb but do want to be "fab".

That's great to have got so slim, bet you are feeling so much better for it.
    I have to admit I mainly live in flats or if I do heels they are of the chunkier style and probably more like 1.5-2.5 inches. I have very mobile ankles that turn over very easily and no matter how elegant the shoe if I end up wobbling around like a baby giraffe that hasn't quite worked out how to use it's legs properly it spoils the effect somewhat :rotfl:.
    I was lucky enough to visit the Opera House in Milan over the holidays and watched a documentary about Maria Callas. When she wanted to make herself more popular, she began transforming herself into Hepburn.

Oh, even by the standards of her day (which of course were much slimmer) Hepburn was incredibly slim. 5'7" and one source I read suggested she had a 20 inch waist. Now I can recall having a 22 inch waist when I was 17, but I am three inches shorter than Hepburn and I was tiny at 17. And I wouldn't aspire to getting that slim now... quite aside of anything else I was verging on flat chested at the time - still developing I guess.
  • Over recent decades (!) waists have increased in relation to hips - because women's bodies have changed.

Have you noticed how many brands are trying to flatter us by assigning lower numbers to clothes? That is, for example I'm now wearing size 10 dresses but the last time my body was the size it is now I would have been wearing 12 or 14.

Definitely. I lost about 10kg last year and got back into a couple of Precis suits I bought in 2000 which were size 16, but I've been buying 12/14 for my slimmer wardrobe. I also had a Precis suit bought in 2015 which was 16 and is now falling off me. I'd had in mind the end target was size 12 on top and 14 on the bottom, but I think now it needs to be 10 on the top and 12 on the bottom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure