car dealer offered me a deal signed the contract. now he wants to increase the price

13»

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The dealer made a mistake, but they could take it on the chin in the interests of good customer services.

Some years ago we were made a very good verbal offer of a trade-in value by VW. When we returned to do the paperwork the sales assistant admitted that he had made a mistake with the offer - he'd looked at the wrong line in the book and had quoted the trade-in for a year younger vehicle. However, he admitted that it was his mistake and stood by the original offer.

£40 * 12 * 5 = £2,400.

Not a mission the dealer will take that on the chin. Chances are they're netting a few hundred profit on the deal tops as is.
  • motorguy
    What have the finance company said?

Whats the relevance?

The price for the van was wrong in the first instance.
  • motorguy
    neilmcl wrote: »
    A mistake has been made, presumably because like most people the salesman may have initially assumed that you buying a van was a business purchase. Either accept or negotiate the new deal or walk away. The van has not been collected and as yet no monies have been exchanged.

Thats the bottom line.

I'd be very surprised if in the contract to supply, that there isnt a get out clause for the dealer. They'd be very dim not to have one.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 3:12PM
    “ The dealer made a mistake, but they could take it on the chin in the interests of good customer services.

Some years ago we were made a very good verbal offer of a trade-in value by VW. When we returned to do the paperwork the sales assistant admitted that he had made a mistake with the offer - he'd looked at the wrong line in the book and had quoted the trade-in for a year younger vehicle. However, he admitted that it was his mistake and stood by the original offer.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    £40 * 12 * 5 = £2,400.

Not a mission the dealer will take that on the chin. Chances are they're netting a few hundred profit on the deal tops as is. Posted by motorguy
    Dug out the paperwork out of curiosity - it was longer than I thought (15 years ago) and the difference was £800. The new car we were buying was about the 5th the we had bought from them - so perhaps they didn't want to upset us!
  • motorguy
    Dug out the paperwork out of curiosity - it was longer than I thought (15 years ago) and the difference was just under £1K. The new car we were buying was about the 5th the we had bought from them - so perhaps they didn't want to upset us!

There was much more profit in new cars back then - these days prices are cut to the bone to get people in through the door, and dont forget also he didnt give you £1,000 discount extra off your new car, he just valued your trade in wrong. He still got all his profit on your new car.

Typically theres £2,000-£3,000 gross profit in a used car resale (theres more profit typically in used cars than there is these days in new ones) so i'm sure he got out at the other end okay :)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    motorguy wrote: »
    Thats the bottom line.

I'd be very surprised if in the contract to supply, that there isnt a get out clause for the dealer. They'd be very dim not to have one.

To the contrary, they'd be very dim to have such a clause because it would never be enforceable in law.

As I said before, if a contract has been formed then it is binding on both parties. Once a contract has been formed, it can only be invalidated/void for a very limited number of circumstances. One of these is unilateral mistake - a mistake made by 1 party and the other party was aware of the mistake/should have been aware of the mistake (ie a shop pricing a tv at £50 instead of £500 - although in the case of madbid tv, they regularly sold tv's at such a low price therefore their misprice was not found to be a unilateral mistake and the contract was enforceable).

Also as before, realising a contract isn't profitable/isn't as profitable is not valid grounds to terminate a contract.

Businesses are expected to do due diligence. The time for examining their profit margin was before agreeing to the sale - not after.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure