Poor service

Greeting money-savers.

Some advise on a recent purchase please.

I just bought a used laptop which was just what I was looking for, described as excellent condition with slight marks from usage.

I contacted the seller asking about the screen condition to which he stated was in perfect condition.

The machine arrives, firstly I find there are some chips on the screen which I challenged the seller about to which he admits he knew about them.
At the point the dvd drive isn't working, seller states it was working when he posted it, my response was should I return the machine so he could fix it and claim compensation from the courier. he says chasing the courier was more hassle than it was worth. He arranged for a new dvd drive to be sent to me.

I decided to take the machine to a professional I've used before to change the dvd as it was beyond me. To my shock I'm informed there are many issues within the laptop to the extent a full rebuild checking all parts was required in turn costing me £120. The seller stated when challenged this was not the case and I was being ripped off.

I see two routes, return the machine under distance seller regulations as I think the seller has taken the proverbial:

However this route I would loose £120 getting the machine in a state that I know know is fully functional.

In all the years I've used ebay this is the first time I've had issues so not so not that bad going!

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If I am reading correctly and you have repaired other faults without giving the seller a chance to repair you have forfeited any SNAD return as you cannot return the item in the same condition as having received it in. If you haven't repaired them, then you need to raise the SNAD on Ebay.

Is the seller a business and where are they based (which country).

What two routes do you see? Your easiest (assuming you haven't repaired it) is Ebay.
  • The seller is London based, he denied there was any damage that needed repaired when challenged about it. I am guessing that I'm only going to be left with the option to write a terrible by truthful review.
  • theonlywayisup
    The seller is London based, he denied there was any damage that needed repaired when challenged about it. I am guessing that I'm only going to be left with the option to write a terrible by truthful review.

No. But you aren't helping by not being clear.

Have you had the machine repaired or is it in the same state as when it arrived (albeit with a spare DVD)
  • As my first post states the machine has been repaired at a cost of £120 and is fully functional now.
  • theonlywayisup
    edited 9 July 2017 at 2:44PM
    As my first post states the machine has been repaired at a cost of £120 and is fully functional now.

Actually your OP was not clear.

I decided to take the machine to a professional I've used before to change the dvd as it was beyond me. To my shock I'm informed there are many issues within the laptop to the extent a full rebuild checking all parts was required in turn costing me £120. The seller stated when challenged this was not the case and I was being ripped off.

I see two routes, return the machine under distance seller regulations as I think the seller has taken the proverbial:

However this route I would loose £120 getting the machine in a state that I know know is fully functional.

That aside.

As you have made the repair you cannot claim under Ebay or Paypal's buyer protection policies.

As for DSR, they were replaced some time ago by the Consumer Contracts Regs. What you need to be reading is the Consumer Rights Act.

The fact you have effected a repair (the £120 one) without giving the seller the opportunity to correct it won't go in your favour.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,612 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The time to complain was when you got the quote for £120 - not after you'd had the work done. As you say, write a review which reflects your experience and then just get on and use the machine - even with the £120 you paid, if it's now fully functional it will be a lot cheaper than buying a brand new one.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'd just chalk it up to experience. The seller was obviously oblivious to the condition. How do they know you are not trying to con them by producing a fake repair invoice? They should have at least had the chance to repair themselves or nominate someone else to give a quote

Really you should have asked the seller to accept a return at their cost. Not argued with them and opened a SNAD case if they still wouldn't help to force a return.

You can leave bad feedback (and you should) but unfortunately few buyers bother to read it. However some might and decide to shop elsewhere.

Next time either return or bare in mind you are unlikely to get anything you spend repairing something back, unless you get it in advance.
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Next time it's recommended that you open a not-as-described case. The seller described that the laptop was in excellent condition. But when it arrived there were chips on the screen and the DVD drive didn't work. So you basically got a laptop that was not as described. You even had to take it to a professional, who charged you £120. Next time you buy an expensive product, if it's not as described and has faults, it's not your obligation to fix it. The obligation is with the seller. Just open a case.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DVD drives on laptops are often a single screw and it pulls out.

Shop may have taken advantage of you. What did they do for £120?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It sounds like OP got screwed over by his 'trusted' professional for a 5 minute job to install the new DVD followed by 30 mins or so to re-install of the OS and drivers.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure