PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Beetrot and lemon ravioli sauce

Hi,

I have been given M&S beetroot and lemon ravioli. MIL sent FIL to shop for ready made meals when she was bed bound and that is what he brought home. She was not impressed. She sent him for lasagne! he can just about boil water and shift stuff into the oven, but certainly cannot start making sauces! He did not buy a sauce... Men, really, they can be clueless!!
It sometimes surprises me. What did he think is going to happen? Did she ever serve him dry pasta?

I, just like her, have absolutely no idea what sort of sauce to make with it! I googled it, but there is nothing out there that sounds interesting...

What would you do?
Anyone tasted it?

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Put some butter in a pan and maybe some basil leaves, drain ravioli, saute them in the the pan with butter and sage. Add grated parmesan and serve warm.

Edit or maybe some fennel tops in place of basil....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My Oh doesn't like sage. But could be basil..

Also was thinking perhaps crispy pancetta bits?
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Any wrote: »
    My Oh doesn't like sage. But could be basil..

Also was thinking perhaps crispy pancetta bits?

Pancetta would work, but the saltiness may overpower the taste of the ravioli.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Any
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Pancetta would work, but the saltiness may overpower the taste of the ravioli.

Yes, I am worried about that too.

But I am also worried it might be a bit bland. I really don't know how strong the beetroot flavour is.
    I love beetroot, but it usually goes with something fairly strong, like goat cheese salad or with a roast..
    It is not something I can eat a lot of by itself.
    And I need my food wet, I hate dry food. So it needs to have covering of something.

I have to say it is not something I would have bought in store myself. But now I have 2 packs in my freezer and need to use them. I will not throw away food, especially as it is M&S and was not cheap!
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, I am worried about that too.

But I am also worried it might be a bit bland. I really don't know how strong the beetroot flavour is.
    I love beetroot, but it usually goes with something fairly strong, like goat cheese salad or with a roast..
    It is not something I can eat a lot of by itself.
    And I need my food wet, I hate dry food. So it needs to have covering of something.

I have to say it is not something I would have bought in store myself. But now I have 2 packs in my freezer and need to use them. I will not throw away food, especially as it is M&S and was not cheap!

Use fennel tops or finely chopped fennel in the sauce, I always think that beetroot needs a good fragrant herb to go with it to take the sweetness away.

Let us know what you end up doing...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Definitely a brown butter sauce, flavoured with either herbs or spring onions.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Any
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Definitely a brown butter sauce, flavoured with either herbs or spring onions.

Brown butter sauce?
    I don't think I ever had that!
    Or eat that! But it has butter, I am in :-)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Brown butter sauce?
    I don't think I ever had that!
    Or eat that! But it has butter, I am in :-)
    A bit of a chef-y expression for a simple procedure, I'm afraid. You literally heat the butter up in a pan until it colours, and add the herbs and seasoning in at the end so it aromatises rather than burn.

You'll know you've gone wrong if you end up with black butter sauce :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Any
    It definitely sounds interesting. Ultimately it is exactly what Oakdene said, just a bit more posh sound to it:-) :-) Just read a bit more about it on the internet.
    I suppose it is very safe one until I know how strong the beetroot flavour is!

I think it will go on a menu next week.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I thought it sounded nice. I'd possibly buy the ravioli for my daughter. Not completely understanding what you meant though, I googled and there's this idea about what to have it with. Not sure if they stock the crab and chilli themselves.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQDqjYpgBHy/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport