Data Protection Query: Taking Photos of Kids

Options

Comments

• honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    The 4 year-old has more chance of being hit by a meteor. Perhaps the ballet school should be relocated a mile and a half underground.

You know. Just in case.

Quite a flippant response to something which does actually happen (yes very unlucky if there's actually more chance of being hit by a meteor). I know of 2 separate instances locally where a child has been 'tracked down' by a relative where the parent would rather them not know where to find them, by seeing said child in the background of a photo with other children.
  • clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Heaven forbid that this four year old ever goes swimming if ballet clothes are considered revealing.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some responses here are wandering off into cloud-cuckoo land.

I have a talented 11 yo gdaughter who has been dancing with a local school and appearing in shows locally and in other venues, for several years. There is a large photo on my wall as I type, from 2 years ago, which depicts her in what looks like 'adult' revealing clothing, but there is absolutely no doubt that this is a child. There are other photos of her at various ages scattered around the house, as there are photos of our other grandchildren. Stored on my NAS, backed up and protected against anyone else seeing them, are more photos of all 4 grandchildren and our two kids, at various ages, some naked (as babies and toddlers.)

The point being, that any perversion connected with viewing normal family photos of children, is in the eyes of anyone who is perverted and manages to get to see them. The idea is to make sure that the best precautions are taken, to avoid that scenario. It's not about the legalities or otherwise - it's about who gets to see images of the children you love.

Gd's dance school has always used one photographic studio for all pictures and videos of all performances. The studio and all its personnel, are subjected to stringent, annual checks at the specific demand of the school. If a new staff member joins the studio, they are checked. All images and videos are kept under strong security by the studio. No parent or anyone else attending the shows, is allowed to take photos or videos and this is understood by all. The dance school has an age range of performers from toddlers to 30+ and the older members are all mothers: they look after and fiercely defend all younger members.

When a family member requires a photo or video, they are checked by the school to ensure that they are family, and parents get first choice. The parent gets a password and username, which changes after each show. The photos & videos can only be ordered online and only by using the password and username. The material is not cheap, but after buying the "hard copies" the parent may choose to allow other family members to make their own copies, which is what I do as a grandparent. I have a very good Photographic printer and I make copies for display in our home.

This way, parents are completely in cahrge of where and to whom the images of their children go. Yes, it has to be paid for, but we split the purchase of photos and videos with our daughter. And we don't mind the expense at all: we are very proud of our own little star and we love having a record of her progress, as do her brother and her cousins.

I might add that I have seen many of these shows, and there is no more beautiful sight than 16 tiny tots, dressed in costume, dancing around the stage.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    honeypop wrote: »
    Quite a flippant response to something which does actually happen (yes very unlucky if there's actually more chance of being hit by a meteor). I know of 2 separate instances locally where a child has been 'tracked down' by a relative where the parent would rather them not know where to find them, by seeing said child in the background of a photo with other children.

Yes it does happen, but that's why safeguarding exists....
  • Guest101
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    Some responses here are wandering off into cloud-cuckoo land.

I have a talented 11 yo gdaughter who has been dancing with a local school and appearing in shows locally and in other venues, for several years. There is a large photo on my wall as I type, from 2 years ago, which depicts her in what looks like 'adult' revealing clothing, but there is absolutely no doubt that this is a child. There are other photos of her at various ages scattered around the house, as there are photos of our other grandchildren. Stored on my NAS, backed up and protected against anyone else seeing them, are more photos of all 4 grandchildren and our two kids, at various ages, some naked (as babies and toddlers.)

The point being, that any perversion connected with viewing normal family photos of children, is in the eyes of anyone who is perverted and manages to get to see them. The idea is to make sure that the best precautions are taken, to avoid that scenario. It's not about the legalities or otherwise - it's about who gets to see images of the children you love.

Gd's dance school has always used one photographic studio for all pictures and videos of all performances. The studio and all its personnel, are subjected to stringent, annual checks at the specific demand of the school. If a new staff member joins the studio, they are checked. All images and videos are kept under strong security by the studio. No parent or anyone else attending the shows, is allowed to take photos or videos and this is understood by all. The dance school has an age range of performers from toddlers to 30+ and the older members are all mothers: they look after and fiercely defend all younger members.

When a family member requires a photo or video, they are checked by the school to ensure that they are family, and parents get first choice. The parent gets a password and username, which changes after each show. The photos & videos can only be ordered online and only by using the password and username. The material is not cheap, but after buying the "hard copies" the parent may choose to allow other family members to make their own copies, which is what I do as a grandparent. I have a very good Photographic printer and I make copies for display in our home.

This way, parents are completely in cahrge of where and to whom the images of their children go. Yes, it has to be paid for, but we split the purchase of photos and videos with our daughter. And we don't mind the expense at all: we are very proud of our own little star and we love having a record of her progress, as do her brother and her cousins.

I might add that I have seen many of these shows, and there is no more beautiful sight than 16 tiny tots, dressed in costume, dancing around the stage.
    I must say that is by far the most over the top security I've heard of.

It's a photo, not a gun!
  • honeypop
    honeypop Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Yes it does happen, but that's why safeguarding exists....

Thanks, I know that's why safeguarding exists, I work with it fairly often in a school. I was trying to respond to the bit about more chance of being hit by a meteor than that happening, which makes it sound pretty impossible, which it actually isn't.
  • Guest101
    Options
    honeypop wrote: »
    Thanks, I know that's why safeguarding exists, I work with it fairly often in a school. I was trying to respond to the bit about more chance of being hit by a meteor than that happening, which makes it sound pretty impossible, which it actually isn't.

Yes but you also work in a school with hundreds of kids, probably thousands have gone through the doors at this point and you know of 2 cases. The point is, its rare
  • DJBenson
    DJBenson Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    clint_S wrote: »
    Heaven forbid that this four year old ever goes swimming if ballet clothes are considered revealing.

Last time I checked, taking photos (certainly at council run pools) was strictly forbidden, so the comparison is miles off the mark.

Likewise for a previous comment on beachwear - if a camera was pointed at my children on the beach and I was not aware of the reason, I would be having a word in the photographers ear to put it mildly.
  • DJBenson
    DJBenson Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Let me clarify "revealing" - bearing in mind these are tiny kids (hence "nothing to show" which is what some are clearly getting at) - some are in full ballet outfit, others in tutu's and dresses, underwear is quite often on display - now I take the point that perverts will be perverts and they can get off on anything, but that's not to say it should be made easy for them.

It's too easy for someone of such inclination to follow these groups on Facebook etc. in the hope that something which they can get their rocks off to ends up on their timeline.

I also take the point that worrying about this is rather futile, but I am bringing my children up in a far more dangerous world than I was brought up. I don't give one jot if that makes me sound paranoid or neurotic - the fact is, it's never been easier for these people to access material to their liking, nor has it been so easy for parents or children themselves to put that material out there, with ubiquitous access to camera phones, access to the web and internet connected toothbrushes.
  • professor~yaffle
    Options
    Sadly I think anyone can be filmed or photographed anywhere these days. I don't agree with it, but the majority, who own so-called smart phones, think it's perfectly ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure