Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report cashier who used loyalty card on my shopping?

Options

Comments

• kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2014 at 9:26AM
    Options
    I knew someone who lost their job for this. Companies view it as gross misconduct/fraud. At the end of the day it is stealing as points are just another form of money.

To the OP who suggested it was for charity I highly doubt it! Why would you risk your job (which the cashier knows they are doing as it's always made clear when you start retail jobs) for the sake of charity?

Eventually they will get caught out anyway. All cards are monitored and if they see one card is being used often on a specific till thenthey system flags it up and the company investigates. That's how my friend got caught.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • pennypinchUK
    pennypinchUK Posts: 383 Forumite
    Options
    Well yes, you should...but are you really going to?
  • sodavegan
    Options
    I find it quite dispiriting to see that the vast majority of replies condemn the cashier. We know very little about the circumstances here. What if, for example, she was working on a zero hours contract for greedy and uncaring employers and was struggling to make ends meet at home? (Not an unlikely scenario?) I'd want to know more before I got someone sacked, in fact I'd have to be convinced someone was a deeply unpleasant person before I got them sacked. I'd probably return to the shop and try to have a quiet chat with the cashier.
  • Cookie1986
    Cookie1986 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Having worked for a major supermarket it is extremely unlikely that there is a genuine reason a reward card was used by the cashier. Employees of supermarkets are told time and time again about the consequences of doing such things. I also think that it is very naive to think there will be a charitable motive as this is not how supermarkets use customer reward schemes.
    Given that your receipt appears to show a reward card that is not yours has been used this does indicate something is wrong. It may be the cashier or it may be an issue with their system but it is for the store to investigate. I would not advise confronting the cashier as this could put you in a potentially dangerous position. It is also not your responsibility to do so. I would simply write to the Store Manager (addressed to the store) or Fraud Prevention Manager (addressed to the head office) and enclose your receipt. That way the matter will be investigated and managed in the correct way by the correct people.
  • ArthurDent
    Options
    What she is doing is wrong, but is it so bad that she should be sacked? She would lose her job, she would find it hard to get a new job as she would not be able to give a good explanation as to why she lost her previous job, and she would not get a reference. This all seems a high price to pay for misusing a points card. I agree with previous poster, go back to the shop, see if she is there, ask why she did it, and tell her that if it happens again she can be reported and sacked.
  • judywoody
    judywoody Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2014 at 10:11AM
    Options
    mmhhh..it's a tough one .. I mean, do YOU actually have a loyalty card? If no, she didn't steal from YOU but from her company.

People do all sorts of crazy stuff..she probably struggles with the money she is getting as a cashier (which isn't an excuse for crime of course but it makes her actions more understandable).. Think about your motives for reporting her - Do you just want to report her because it makes you feel good about yourself or because you are genuinely worried about the loss the company makes (let's say £ 10 a day?)..

I don't condone fraud but likewise I don't like the greed of huge supermarket chains..so in that case I probably wouldn't bother..lol..If I knew she would personally steal from an individual I would report her to protect this individual and others that might be harmed...But a supermarket chain?? pffffffff.... (not that it's right to "steal" in any shape or form but in that case ... do I look bothered?)

Also, I don't know how much money you or your partner earns but sometimes it's easy for us to condemn other people and put ourselves on a high horse when we have absolutely no idea what the person is struggling with. If anything I would do HER a favor and take her to the side and tell her that you noticed and that if she was found out she could loose her job - don't be patronizing but polite. Maybe that will make her think that people do notice what she is doing and she might stop..If she carries on she will be found out eventually maybe by a manager and that will be her loss. But I wouldn't want to be responsible for another persons job loss.

@cookie1986 : If you think she shouldn't get involved how mean would it be to write to head office? You either get involved or not..if you confront her in the supermarket I highly doubt she would compromise her safety..
  • djb77
    djb77 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    You should report to the shop that someone else’s loyalty card has been used on your transaction; if this turns out to be the cashier then the shop will deal with them according to their procedures. Also, as another poster mentioned because another loyalty card has been used you will be unable to claim the points for your shop, if the scheme allows you to claim points at a later date with a valid receipt.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    Those points are yours,the cashier took your points knowing they were yours.The value of your points is irrelevant,the cashier was fully aware of what they were doing and for that they should be dismissed.If the cashier had asked for your permission then that would be different but they didn't,your points have been stolen.Take your receipt to the store and ask to speak to the manager,don't be fobbed off with a superviser as they could be part of the same scam.You could even take your complaint to head office if your not fully satisfied with the stores responce.
    Some on here have commented on the low wage or zero hour contract,all of this is no excuse for what has happened.A lot of people out there are living from week to week,struggling to make ends meet mostly because they've borrowed above their means for stuff they can do without.All of this is no excuse for theft,perhaps a lesson in morals and maths could be applied.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surprised so many people are bothered about this. If I don't have a loyalty card for a place, I'll quite happily let the person behind me, the cashier or anyone else for that matter have my points.

The points aren't free, they're factored into the price everyone pays and I'd rather someone else benefits from them than just adding to the company's profits.

As mentioned above, even if I were bothered - if the employee's taking the mick, the company themselves will catch them soon enough, so I'd certainly not get involved...

There's also a sort of karma about it. Quite often I've benefited from someone winking and scanning a student card for me when I've forgotten my own card, or scanning another loyalty card that would save me a few pence...What goes around comes around.
  • Cimscate
    Cimscate Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sodavegan wrote: »
    I find it quite dispiriting to see that the vast majority of replies condemn the cashier. We know very little about the circumstances here. What if, for example, she was working on a zero hours contract for greedy and uncaring employers and was struggling to make ends meet at home? (Not an unlikely scenario?) I'd want to know more before I got someone sacked, in fact I'd have to be convinced someone was a deeply unpleasant person before I got them sacked. I'd probably return to the shop and try to have a quiet chat with the cashier.
    SO you think it is OK to steal if you need the money!! Not quite sure where that one ends, any robber could use it as an excuse.
    Personally I'd go back to get my points and then express surprise that a card was used and let the store sort it out. Take the point others have made about having a chat with her - I doubt if I'd even remember who served me on any given day especially if it's a regular supermarket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure