Best van mpg?

jago25_98
jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
I can't seem to find ratings to find the most fuel efficient van available.

I am used to getting 50mpg in my Fiesta (Van, car derived Van) but I need something bigger, VITO or small transit sized. Things is, that would drop to 20mpg! (this is all diesel)
I don't need load carrying ability.

It doesn't seem quite right that with VW bringing out the 70mpg Polo and 100mpg diesels on the horizon, that the most money aware people (businesses) are using 20mpg or less diesels!

Comments, advice, suggestions?
Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker

Comments

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We have a 2000 long high Iveco Daily with lots of stock & tools always loaded and driven quite hard.

We get low 20’s so I would expect a more modern smaller less loaded and sensibly driven van to get closer to 30mpg

I can’t actually see why the car derived vans (astra, fiesta, caddy etc) shouldn’t get the same mileage as the car equivalents
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    vaio wrote: »
    I can’t actually see why the car derived vans (astra, fiesta, caddy etc) shouldn’t get the same mileage as the car equivalents

Agree !

The problem is with bigger vans that the fuel consumption varies so much with the style of driving. Most cars do return figures pretty close to the book ones, regardless of driving style. I think this is why manufacturers are reluctant to produce figures - which everyone would criticise.
    My son drives his Ranger like a sports car; when I drive it, I don't go over 2000rpm except in top gear.

He gets 18mpg, I get 30!
  • philhuff
    philhuff Posts: 290 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    We also run an huge Iveco Daily, and that gets driven very hard. Apart from an awful cabin, it's not too bad and gets an average of 27mpg over the 35,000 miles it's done to date.

We had a Mercedes Sprinter before that, and that was almost fun to drive, and that also got in the high 20's. Sadly, it wasn't quite big enough (although the new Sprinter is) so we had to change.
    MSE are supporting our journey from Staples2Naples for SPARKS. Join us.
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got a Transit mk6 SWB med roof 2ltr TD 75ps

If I keep below 60mph-ish I'll get about 35mpg. Once had to do a whole load of driving at 50-55 and I got 38/39mpg! :cool:

BTW usually the most weight in the back I'll have is 400kg tops
  • nullogik
    nullogik Posts: 467 Forumite
    Perhaps What Van? magazine might be suitable for you. They review all the latest models and have regular reports on vehicles in long term test.

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/whatvan.asp
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  • I've got a Daihatsu Hijet ( In the company of the big Iveco's it's difficult to desribe as a van( Two might even fit in the back of the long ones!)), which is virtually the same as the old vauxhall rascal, suzuki supercarry. It's got a 1300cc engine but comes with a factory equipped LPG system.

I think it returns around 35 mpg on petrol so could double that on LPG. Its supposed to be not very comfortable on long journeys and about as aerodynamic as a toaster on wheels! But it's a great small city van although it may not suit your purpose.

Vertical
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've got a Daihatsu Hijet ( In the company of the big Iveco's it's difficult to desribe as a van......

Think we've got a toolbox bigger than your van :rotfl:
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As mentioned, amount of load carried vastly effects fuel consumption, plus , of course a light load doesn't always mean light foot, so even the empty van goes faster - so does the fuel.

The nearest you'll get to the makers mpg indications, is to look al people carriers & mini-people carriesr, that have a similar van spec, too.

If you can manage with the size, Fiat Dublo is pretty efficient!!

VB
  • jago25_98
    jago25_98 Posts: 623 Forumite
    thanks for the tips. Whatvan has ratings hidden away in thier reviews, and it's actually what they experienced, but it's a pain to navigate through.

Looks like Primastar or Hiace are best for this size?
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
  • bizman
    bizman Posts: 4 Newbie
    If it helps I've got a Merc Sprinter Luton with tail lift. It's about the biggest luton that you'll (13.5 ft internal) see but the MPG is awful. I get 16mpg on average. Loaded or unloaded it's no different. I've come to the conclusion that this is because of the size of the luton. It's like a brick to push through the air. Although it has got a air kit. I also think it is underpowered. On the motorway even empty it struggles to do 70. I feel that in order to feel like we are actually getting work done we have to thrash it. If it had more power we might drive it less aggressively and therefore use less fuel. I have experienced his effect before with Land Rovers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure