Unreasonable bank charges

I have two bank accounts with HSBC one I use as a current account and the other for bill payments (of which I dont have a card for).

I have accidently carried on a standing order from my current account to my bills account putting me way overdrawn for three days (I have recently moved house and have my rent going out of the current account directly instead of placing in the other account first- just forgot to cancel the standing order from myself to mysef)

This meant my other account had loads of money in it and the current account was in debt.

I made three transactions for a fewpounds during the three days that I hadnt checked my bank account to notice the mistake. Now I am being charged £25 per each transaction equating to £75.00 in total.

I appealed to HSBC highlighting my error as soon as I had moved the funds back into the right account and they will not waive this fee.

How can I further appeal against this charge?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

You cant. Those days have gone.

Most banks will refund if it is your first offence (some allow one error a year). If they are refusing, then it suggests it is not your first error or perhaps they are not interested in refunding you for other reasons (unprofitable account, short history with bank etc).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 October 2011 at 6:00AM
    KOOKY wrote: »
    I have two bank accounts with HSBC one I use as a current account and the other for bill payments (of which I dont have a card for).

I have accidently carried on a standing order from my current account to my bills account putting me way overdrawn for three days (I have recently moved house and have my rent going out of the current account directly instead of placing in the other account first- just forgot to cancel the standing order from myself to mysef)

This meant my other account had loads of money in it and the current account was in debt.

I made three transactions for a fewpounds during the three days that I hadnt checked my bank account to notice the mistake. Now I am being charged £25 per each transaction equating to £75.00 in total.

I appealed to HSBC highlighting my error as soon as I had moved the funds back into the right account and they will not waive this fee.

HSBC operate what they term a 'fair fees policy'

One term of this is that they won't charge you any arrangement fees if the amount borrowed is less than £10. So unless your 'few pounds' was greater than £10, then ask the bank to review the charges in line with their own fair fees policy

Another part of that is that the arrangement fees charged will not exceed the amount borrowed.
    So unless your 'few pounds' was in fact more than 25 on each occassion, then ask them to review the charges in line with their fair fees policy.

And yet another part of their fair fees policy is that they don't charge you for the first overdraft requerst (formal or informal) within the last 6 months. So if this is the first time you have asked for an overdraft, then again ask the bank to review the charges in line with their own fair fees policy
    (That won't get all the fees back, but should get the first one refunded :))

If none of the above applies to you, perhaps you would be kind enough to furnish us with the full facts of your borrowing, and the reasons why you believe the charges for that borrowing to be unreasonable, so that we can provide you with appropriate advice.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure