howdens "lamona" appliances question - any good?

hi
were looking at howdens kitchens.
we notice that the vast majority of the appliances are lamona brand??

what are lamona like please? we obviously want half descent quality appliances, i.e a reliable washing machine and cooker.
are they reliable, spares easy to get hold of etc.

thanks !!!!

Comments

• I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I think these are rebranded "Diplomat" items. Diplomat is/was the Howdens instore brand, also supplied by MFI in days gone by.

Diplomat was not good - but you get what you pay for.
  • http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums
    If you check any of the forums for Diplomat, they will back up my quality warning!
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

Lamona are Howden's own brand of appliances. They will tell you they are as good as Neff Bosch Siemens. They are wrong. Their appliances are pretty much like their kitchens, hyped up by themselves but really they are just cheap builders products.

CK
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,780
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The appliances are not good as parts are difficult to obtain for them when they break down.

I wouldn't call Howdens a cheap builders product unless you will lump all the high street ranges into the same category with them. Accepted that the unit range can be limiting but when compared to any of the high street offerings in terms of quality they stand up well to them. If they are builders products then so are all of the high street brands.

They're not built to last forever but they won't fall apart quickly, they are better than any other off the shelf kitchen product that I've come across and I'd include Ikea in that - I think the Ikea quality is not good. The fittings are flimsy, the doors thin and on the gloss range particularly, doors aren't properly wrapped so you get corners that can be picked at - they look like they would lift easily.

No doubt they aren't the best kitchen in the world either but I can pick up a Howdens kitchen for half the price of Magnet, B&Q and indeed MFI who used to sell the same product as their more expensive Schreiber range. So they measure up very well against the high street.

So not to defend them as the world's best kitchen, but no worse and better than some. In terms of value for money, they tick that box massively for me and they provide a quality that the majority of people are happy with when buying a house.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • I have a Lamona HJA7010 microwave with grill just 13 months old and has failed. Howdens have said "guarantee is 12 months and callout fee to check the unit is £90.00". Apparently as trade suppliers they can get around the sale of goods act and suggested I sue the installer. I tried phoning the importers, Premium Appliance Brands Ltd, but the phone just rang and rang which doesn't say much for them. I read on another site that the product is Chinese so not sure if the comment that they are made by Smeg is correct. My opinion is that they are poor quality supplied by an equally poor supplier.
  • Why on earth buy a mystery brand from Howden's when there are so many bargains from better quality manufacturers available on line?
  • adamg
    adamg Posts: 485 Forumite
    Avee wrote: »
    I have a Lamona HJA7010 microwave with grill just 13 months old and has failed. Howdens have said "guarantee is 12 months and callout fee to check the unit is £90.00". Apparently as trade suppliers they can get around the sale of goods act and suggested I sue the installer. I tried phoning the importers, Premium Appliance Brands Ltd, but the phone just rang and rang which doesn't say much for them. I read on another site that the product is Chinese so not sure if the comment that they are made by Smeg is correct. My opinion is that they are poor quality supplied by an equally poor supplier.
    Made by Beko
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • RX-78
    RX-78 Posts: 223 Forumite
    To be honest Howden's seller I've been dealing with himself admitted I can get better value for money where the appliances are concerned.

You'd be far better off looking on price comparison site and Which! (you can join for £1 for a month initially) to look for a decent appliance.
  • I have a Lamona Washing Machine which I bought with my kitchen and it first broke down after 10 months. Their aftercare people came out and replaced the dial. It has now broken down completely after having it 13 months so went back to their aftercare service again and they want £94.50 plus parts to repair. I have lost all faith in this machine so will be getting rid as to repair will cost upwards of £250 anyway!

Personally wouldnt touch with a barge pole now!
  • holiday101
    holiday101 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 December 2010 at 10:17AM
    hi,
    we got this oven about 12 months ago and we are already having various problems with it, the installers told us that is out of warranty so we are left to pick up the pieces, the oven keep turnig itself off in the middle of cooking, which leaves cooking half done and sometimes completely ruined, there is no after care service as written on thier website and if there is one at what cost?
    does anyone out there know what i should do or what step i should take to solving this problem? as i cannot afford a new oven 12 months down the line, thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback