Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    3/31 AFDs today, early call!!
  • PriceySOS
    PriceySOS Posts: 810
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 May 2015 at 9:27AM
    Total of 17 for April, target of 20 for May, 1 AFD for May done, please, Shaggy
  • Startinglate
    Startinglate Posts: 23 Forumite
    May I join you? A bit about myself - female, nearly 60, married, children flown the nest, I drink the equivalent of a bottle of wine (we buy wine boxes) every evening. Alcohol has always been part of my life even as a child. My parents were very sociable and knowledgeable about nice wine and I can remember from the age of about 7 having watered wine with the grownups at family meals and social occasions. I can honestly say that until about ten years ago alcohol and I had a very amicable relationship; I would drink when I wanted to (occasionally to excess but I'd have extended 'dry periods') but I always felt in control. Now we drink cheaper wine, because we both drink more, and I seem to be unable get out of the habit of drinking to excess every evening. I have lurked for a while and see that people set a target of days when they will not drink in a month so I would like to set a target of 8 until the end of May. I know that compared with some peoples' targets it's a bit low but believe me, not drinking for two days a week will be a huge achievement for me.
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Welcome Startinglate :hello:

8 is a very respectable starting point in my opinion. When I first joined, 8 was about what I managed on my target of 10 or 11. My target is higher every month now but I never achieve it :o I am generally happy if my total AF days are half or more of the month, ie drinking every other day with hopefully a couple of extra days thrown in but that is easier said than done. I also drink to excess on drinking days :o

Good luck and nice to have you with us :)
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 3 May 2015 at 9:48PM
    Welcome Startinglate! :wave: If you do eight in May, that'll be eight more than I ever managed in my drinking days. Every week for a decade I'd promise my liver a night off and then as soon as the evening meal was served I'd pop back into the kitchen and pour one. Which led to a second and ... you get the picture. Wine boxes were fatal for us - at least with a bottle you know when you're opening the next one, but with a 10 litre wine box every day is like Christmas; it certainly was in this house. Good luck with it.

Now I know this will come as a shock to those who support various teams on this thread, but OH is celebrating today because it was a 'Special One.' I very much fear he is going to snore like a grampuss tonight and keep me awake, so when he is in a great deal of pain tomorrow I'm not sure how sympathetic I'm going to feel. As it is, I have to stay awake until after MoTD to go downstairs and haul his sorry a$$$ up here because I'm pretty certain he'll have passed out by the time it's finished. For the first time ever I put a bucket next to his chair because I didn't realise quite how much he was going to drink and I'd already roasted a bit of lamb, a pile of potatoes, parsnips and beetroot and boiled a bit of brocolli when he rolled in. Lovely, espeically with homegrown and made mint sauce but I rather fear he won't remember any of it unless he sees it again (which is quite likely).

3/31 please, Shaggy, and very glad of it seeing the alternative lurching around here.
    Better is good enough.
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    2/24 please. Was hoping to make it 3 today but had a glass of wine with our curry this evening. It's hubby's last day at home as he starts his new job 300 miles away on Tuesday so it was my last alcoholic drink for a while, as I'll be looking after the kids on my own while he's away.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    4/31 AFDs today :)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hope everybody is enjoying the bank holiday weekend :)

1 more for me please :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport