PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Saturday 19th November

redruby
redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
edited 19 November 2016 at 8:15AM in Old style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine

Morning all,

Up early for me on a Saturday as I am off to work, off tomorrow though so not too bad, its bitterly cold here and I have just put the heating on for 1/2 hour to warm the house through, its fine in the evening as the log burner is going but the mornings are getting cold now.

DD is going to do an online food shop for me today and her and OH will clean through so there is not much to do when I get in tonight, dinner is yet to be decided but OH will cook.

Tomorrow I will strip the beds and get them washed and dried and do the other loads of washing.

Right better get on have good days all xx

Hugs to Coxy and Lainey xx

Hilstep how are you getting on ? xxx

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,026 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning everyone.

Although it's cold and dark outside there's no frost this morning. The back garden is being lit up by the moon.

After my mega-cookathon yesterday I have to make space in the freezer for it all, and mark it up so I know what's in each tub. There's already too much unknown stuff in the freezer.

No real other plans made yet. I'm sure things will happen organically!

I'm sending out virtual hugs to all those who can use them.

Happy Saturday to all.
  • Morning all
    Hugs to coxy and Lainey.
    Frosty here this morning, I made the mistake of going to bed early, I was asleep by 10, awake by 12, I read until 4:30 and dgd5 got up at 5:30! I shall need a nana nap later, I also have another dgd2 coming here at 10ish until 2:30.
    My L&M are going out for a meal this evening, I shall be asleep at the table.
    I need to go shopping later a as I need to make some cakes for work on Monday as it will be my last birthday at work I will take in enough for everyone, so I'm thinking traybakes and flapjacks is the way to go. If anyone has any easy recipes to share I'd be glad.
    Dgd is getting bored with drawing and colouring so I think we need to start needle felting.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,675 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 November 2016 at 8:39AM
    Morning REDRUBY and all to follow. It's chilly here too but better than yesterday when we had snow falling on and off all day. It was soft stuff so it soon melted on the roads but the gardens still have a covering. It's going to seem a long winter with snow starting this early.

DGD8 had a dress rehearsal last night for the 4 weekend Nutcracker performances. I shall be taking a bagful of tissues for this evening when we all go! She loves dancing so much and never grumbles about rehearsals. I have bought her a bracelet with her name on it as a well done gift.

Have a good day all and thinking of LAINEY and COXY especially. Life can be horrible at times. (((HUGS))) where wanted/needed and take care x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Good morning everyone.

Thinking of Coxy and LaineyT.

Yesterday I had my stitches out, much more comfortable without them. The armpit is a strange place for stitches as almost every movement wiggles them. The inside ones will just dissolve.

I've got a big housework list for today but may prioritise as I'm not at work again until Tuesday so it doesn't all have to be done today.

So full of antibiotics that I must rattle, with the inevitable effect on my digestive tract. I think they are working, I hasn't realised that this thing had affected my sense of smell. I just thought things like this shower gel is a bit dismally unscented.

OH is up and about to collect the papers, this includes my weekly treat, the Times weekly jumbo crossword. On which, stuck I regularly get.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Thinking of you Lainey and Coxy xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I tried my new tooth at the dentist and it looks fab. But the plate doesn't quite fit around my teeth on the left, it's a bit loose, so it's been sent back to be adjusted and I won't have it til next friday. I had to pop into a shop for bread and fruit before I caught the bus home, I pretended to have a sore tooth and pressed my hand against my top lip when I had to speak at the till so no-one would see the gap, lol. It took an hour to get home, it's about 2.5 miles! The roads were really busy and there were roadworks too. TOTM so my lower back was really aching, plus my hip has been playing up for a few days so I wasn't in the best of moods when I got back. Must admit I sulked for a while when I eventually got home :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]So I'm not going out again unless absolutely necessary. I've had my Christmas money ready for a while but I'm not traipsing around the shops with a gappy mouth. I've usually bought about half of it by now and I don't want to leave it any longer. I'll get most of it ordered online in the next few days.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Just realised it's the 19th so I have to do a bit of HMRC stuff today. Automatic fine of £100 if you're late, even though the bill is always £0.00. I signed up for CIS because of a job that wasn't definite but I thought I'd get everything in place. Job didn't happen so I ticked a box online to say there would be no subcontracting work for six months so no returns needed, had confirmation that the info had been sent, didn't bother filling a return for the next month and got fined! I appealed it and it was cancelled but I don't trust it now. So I waste time every month sending a nil return Roll_Eyes_Smiley_by_Mirz123_zpsfacaf1cf.gif
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I forgot to close the gate in the kitchen doorway when I let Scampi out into the muddy garden last night, so the first job of the day is to clean the lounge, stairs and landing carpets. I have a couple of loads of washing to do, I don't think it'll dry outside so it can all go on the airer. There's not much else to do, it's amazing how tidy the house stays when there's no men around :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Cold but bright here, we have switched the heating on permanently now so it comes on twice a day, the house is as insulated as it can be and the thermostat is set but I don't like being cold.

We are heading out to the farm shop this morning to pick up a few bits, then I will go over to spend the afternoon with Mum.
    Seriously down, am struggling today and know worse is to come, hard to be positive, sorry.

Take care folks x
  • Good Morning chums and what a chilly one it is too today,but at least its a bit sunny which helps.
    I did a machine load of washing last night so it will get a bit of a blow this morning then be finished off on the airer as raon is forecast late afternoon.

This morning I will also make a big pot of carrot and coriander soup for this coming week's lunches.May also make a sponge cake for DGS to take round with me tomorrow when I go to dinner.

I hope next weekend's weather is good as we are all off down to the Isle of Wight for a couple of days as its my son-in-laws birthday on the Saturday, and we are all going on Friday until Sunday. Normally DD and he go away for the weekend but as my DGS Ben is having a weekend home DD decided that it would be nice for us all to go away together so I paid for the ferries and she paid for the accommodation. we will share the price of the food :) DGS Ben is coming home on Thursday night with his G/F from Uni in Norwich, and she is going us as well. So two cars with 8 of us plus two dogs :) The hampaster is going to stay with DGS Jack's G/F for a couple of days :) We will have a quick look when we are over there at our next years holiday house that we have booked up.

Its a real crisp bright morning today with just a sprinkle of frost on the garden ,first real frost this year. I must get some straw off DD to tuck my potted geraniums in a sheltered spot for next year. They have survived in my garden for about three years now and I bought them at a B & Q knock down sale where they looked on their last legs, but a bit of TLC and they have been beautiful .

Hope everyone has a good day what ever they are doing and <hugs to Coxy and Lainey> and anyone else who needs one if your haveing a tough time at the moment

Take care all and keep warm
    JackieO xx
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I hope you start to feel better as the day goes on Lainey.

Hester - Mocha squares, I've never known anyone who doesn't like them.

Oven at 160C

8oz SR Flour
    2oz cocoa
    8oz sugar
    5oz oats
    8oz butter

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, melt the butter and mix in thoroughly press down into a traybake tin and bake for 15mins (they will seem very puffy and soft when they come out but don't leave them longer).

When cool mix 2oz of melted butter and a tablespoon of very strong coffee (I use Camp coffee)into 8oz of icing sugar, add hot water until it's the right consistency to spread over the cake. Cut into chunks, tastes even better the following day.

DH is asleep on the settee, he's puzzled that he's not bouncing back but I don't think he'll start to feel well until he gets the stent out.

DS and his DW said they might come over for breakfast so I need to get dresses. DS passed his senior manager's assessment so it will be a bit of a celebration.
  • Morning All

I seem to have been up forever, pottered about and got a few things done. Trying to pack up the kitchen, that's not going well, kitchen stuff does not pack well in boxes!

I've emptied the cupboard that holds all the crockery, it's a lovely gun cupboard but has to go - I can visit it regularly as it is going over the road to my friends! Once that is out of the way I can strip some more wallpaper - the more I can do, the less I have to pay the builders!

Very cold here, the heating is on. Need to go and post a parcel to DS2, he doesn't get Amazon delivered to the NL so he has things delivered here and I have to post them on. It will probably cost a small fortune.

DS2's GF (lovely girl) heard yesterday that she has got a new job in the British School and starts in the new year, she was very excited when I spoke to her yesterday.

Went to look at kitchen appliances after work yesterday, I didn't last long, not much on display, no proper labelling and no-one to help. I'll order it all on-line and hope for the best.

Hugs to all, especially those with troubles. Have a good weekend. Take care. XX
  • Snoozer that sound delicious ,do you think the topping could be replaced witha chocolate topping as my DGS aren't keen on coffee flavoured things (I adore them though :):) ) ..and the grandsons as well :):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure