Preparing for the biggest move of our life

Comments

• Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    bellevie wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I applied to join my local help to buy, got my approval today :j
    It doesn't actually mean anything until I have 1) a deposit, 2) legal fees, 3) find a property 4) a mortgage offer - but it was a nice email to receive and it suddenly made me very excited about the future.

Yay, that's great, congratulations :T:j Something to work towards is always good. :) And good luck with YNAB :)
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • Yaaaay YNAB, I love it :j

(embarrassingly I have just ended up a little overdrawn but it's my own fault and would have been SO much worse if I wasn't tracking with YNAB)

Fingers crossed for potential job move too.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 871
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Collected from the post office dd's coat that I won of ebay, she loves it and it will be perfect for milder weather - I paid £6, a huge saving on the one she wore last year which was new.

£10 amazon vouchers arrived from 02, I am on a reward
    sim pay as you go about 3 times a year I build enough for vouchers.

Yesterday I finally got round to removing the 'anytime calls' from plusnet, saving of £6 pm. I did make use of it when I worked part time, but now I work full time its a wasted add on. Plus on my odd day off I can always use my mobile. So my phone & net bill will drop to £26 pm.

This morning we stopped of at Aldi after the post office collections depot. £13.89 on a small top up shop, lots of veg, mince lamb, yogurts, bread, water, crisps, brioche rolls. I had spent £9.98 on Monday at Lidls near my work. So we have come up under budget for this week.

I need to adjust my spends on my signature. I spent £32 in wilkos in the week for Christmas presents, gift sets of my brother & sister in law so that they have something of their own to go with the family photo frame I got them. An advent calendar for DD. Then 2 soapy sets, one lipbalm set and a diary all of which were for me!

DD is going to split them, 2 for my birthday, 2 for Christmas. Last year I pretended the shopkeeper had picked them so I didn't see them.
    I didn't think she would believe me this year so I didn't hide that I had chosen them and she got quite upset. I swore that I would forget about my selections and as she would be choosing what to give me, I will still be very surprised!

Talking of which, I may not actually have saved on my budget as I'll have to bring cakes into work. I'll have a quick trip to Lidls on the day and see what I can get without going over budget.

I am going to make a yummy shepherds pie tonight, looking forward to it already!
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

• Well done on the YNAB purchase, so you're giving it a proper go?

I've been reading up on INFJ finances on INFJ.com that Rosa had recommended. Very enlightening. Not sure what your take is.
    All very interesting concepts and the positive self talk helps, too. We can all be so very critical of ourselves, and it doesn't help us achieve. Especially women I think!

Good luck with your new job and fingers crossed there is a vacancy in the overtime team, so that you can go up the ladder. With the way the national government are going about the tax credits, it would be far better not to be reliant on them. If you possibly can not be.

Seems to me like things are looking up!

Are you still thinking of possibly moving or is this going to be an alternative route to achieve what you want?
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
  • bellevie
    Forumite
    edited 27 October 2015 at 7:05PM
    catriona79 wrote: »
    Well done on the YNAB purchase, so you're giving it a proper go?

I've been reading up on INFJ finances on INFJ.com that Rosa had recommended. Very enlightening. Not sure what your take is.

Good luck with your new job and fingers crossed there is a vacancy in the overtime team, so that you can go up the ladder. With the way the national government are going about the tax credits, it would be far better not to be reliant on them. If you possibly can not be.
    QUOTE]

Yes, I am enjoying YNAB, its so useful - though I still glance at my spreadsheet to help me come up with my budgets when I know my income will change - until I am running at least 1 month in advance I need them for my peace of mind!

As for tax credits - I can not wait for the day I don't need them. They have dropped recently with me increasing my hours but they still cover around half of my childcare costs, so I do really need them to be able to work. I hate my reliance on them - I have never relied on any one or any thing, not my parents, not my friends, partners no one. I'm an independent person and I need control in my life so its a huge blow to my confidence knowing that without them I couldn't do what I do now. IE no childcare - no job. No family, DD's dad not around I have to pay for childcare there is no other way.

I've been looking at INFJ.com. She speaks some truth! In my case I have always been frugal from a very young age. I have always worked hard. My issue I think is being linked to people who saw that as something to take advantage of! As a teen my step relative - right from my very first Saturday job I was a paycheque, so after paying 'board' (80%) of my income I just about managed to pay for travel to work & driving lessons.

I left home at 17 straight into private rental - well with a boyfriend - sharp learning curve! I took on all of his debt and often had to cover full rent because he had blown his money. When we split I did manage to save and eager to earn more I moved into a house share where I started to seriously save hard.

I had a fair amount saved up when I met DD's dad. Alarm bells rang with him as he was always running out of money by the end of the month, but whilst I was always helping out with his share of things my savings stayed untouched so I just accepted that he wasn't as good with money as me.

When we split one of he swore blind that he would take everything from me and I wouldn't have any thing or anyone. Not sure he intentionally carried it out but that's exactly what happened over the 2 years following our break up. Most of my savings were used up in the first 2 years of DD's life. Supplementing my salary when I had to take weeks off unpaid when she was ill. Changing my car so that we wouldn't be followed from work and found, moving in a hurry when we were found 3 x on a trot, when you consider in the south east with advance rent and deposit and moving costs it was easily £2000 a time if not more.

When I moved for the last time, my savings were out completely, I knew if I didn't move completely away he would find us again and having no money I would probably end up in a refuge in the middle of no where if not dead.

So got on rightmove put in 200 miles of existing address and emailed all the agents asking who would accept housing benefit - as I would have to leave my job but had every intention of finding work as soon as I settled.. The first one who replied is the area I moved to 2 weeks later. Still in the middle of no where at the time - but because I had chosen it I felt I was keeping a tiny part of control over my life which had until then felt like it was spiralling uncontrollably.

So yes, whilst I coped and managed my money on each salary at the time I think being conditioned not to say no from a very young age knowing there would be consequences. It was the norm, I done what I was told and I had a quiet life.

I will make sure DD learn's from my lessons and understands the importance that sometimes you have to think about yourself and your future first. One of my biggest reasons for staying alone - if she is ever unhappy in a relationship - I need her to remember that I was alone and I was just fine - so she knows there is always a way. My mother was so so unhappy with my dad, and my dad is so so unhappy with my 'stepmum' both lived in misery for the majority of their life - I just need DD to see that actually sometimes being alone is the best thing.

RE work, I am hoping something comes up in the overtime role, if not positions do come up fairly often so if I can't get into that team, there are others.
    I would try to stay in the same sector - if the government do not destroy it that is!
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• bellevie
    Forumite
    LSD today, I exchanged the skirt in primark for a longer one so no additional expense.

£3.50 in sainsburies for my birthday cake - it was a reduced taste the difference carrot cake. I hadn't had carrot cake for years before the Macmillan coffee morning - suddenly reminded how lovely it was and as DD has never tasted it before I thought it would make a change from Chocolate cake!

I need to bring things into work, but since the coffee morning there have been at least 6 birthdays so we have had cakes on a regular basis. I am trying to think of an alternative but struggling. I was contemplating some breakfast pastries croissants etc, but I need to keep costs low and EVERYONE dives in regardless of whether or not they have contributed to the teams collection or even say hello to you on a regular basis.

I think a trip to Lidl is in order to see just how low I can keep the cost!

DD's roller skates arrived, part of her birthday / Christmas presents - haven't decided which. They are grown up style as in not for toddlers but still the 4 wheel - 2 on each side design - think 80s! I love them! I hope she will too. I had the inline skates which where not really comfortable so we will see how she goes. I used £20 amazon vouchers that I had built up, so total cost was £24.99. Will need to replace her helmet and invest in some knee & elbow pads but should help resolve some weekend boredom when money is tight!

I am so so so relieved with the latest update on tax credits. I completely agree that cuts need to be made and it is an easy way to make cuts - I just think they were too harsh too fast. Had the minimum wage risen to a living wage as of the same date, less people would have reacted as they would have seen the balance shift between benefits & wages - but making people struggle for 4 years before seeing a difference was just too much. I had a couple of residents whom I am supporting almost in tears of relief today - I still had a slight anger in my heart that they could even consider pushing people whom are getting themselves out of poverty right back in it. I was however of course happy for them as well as relieved for myself.

Mine have dropped about half what they were due to working full time. I still however rely on the portion that I get. It covers roughly half my childcare so without it I wouldn't be able to cover it. If there is a pause for a couple of years, I should have secured a higher paying role at work so wont need them in future. I've gained a good amount of experience through my overtime department, have worked for and with other managers as part of that role so I hope that would stand me in good stead for future applications I make.

Time to stop for the day I think.

Good night all :)
    MFW

Original end 11/2045 

• :T:T Happy birthday beautiful lady!!! :T:T:T
    * * * Catriona's Credit Card Countdown * * * from -£16k to debt neutraldom - for my debt diary click here
    Barclaycard -£5,867.52;
    mbna1 - 3,009.22
    mbna2 - 1,755.70
    Savings £5,017 MFiT #25 £2,627/£10k; daily interest £5.04
  • Rebecca01
    Rebecca01 Posts: 725
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Happy Birthday xx

Wow ! you have been through so much and are still smiling; a credit to your daughter. I can't imagine how hard that must have been.

Good news about the tax credit, happy for those on low incomes.However, I am still a bit paranoid though being at the higher end that I will still lose. Time will tell though. 25th November :-|.

Have a lovely Birthday xx
  • Happy birthday :) Your dd could be a future roller derby star!
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Happy Birthday sweet girl. I hope reflecting back on your life has given you a much deserved boost on how wonderful you really are.

Have a lovely day with lots of cake and DD cuddles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxOviBI-8fc

MTx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport