Time to block the US?

I'm having a run of issues at the moment including an INR from the US for an item sent on the 3rd December and now a chargeback in paypal for another US item sent on the same day.

I have invoked my seller protection on the chargeback but it means that my funds will be held for several weeks whilst paypal meander slowly through their process- I won't miss the money $33 but it is the principle of the thing.

The chargeback has actually done me a favour- I can defend that but I could not have defended a straight INR- so although I am inconvenienced it means I won't lose out.

I think I might diary a note to close my business sales to the US at least 6 weeks before Christmas in future.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Italy is my nemesis at the moment. Just had one very patient customer kindly wait and eventually confirmed delivery 4 weeks after we sent it! I've had 3 other Italian customers chasing late deliveries in the last few days.

I only started sending to Italy again this year after blocking them for the past few years. Have had no real problems until now.
  • campdave
    campdave Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    I've been selling on etsy, had a few buyers complaining that stuff hasn't arrived within 5 days. They didn't check where the item is coming from. One has turned up, the other has been fobbed off as it was only 10 days from posting.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,183 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lovinituk wrote: »
    Italy is my nemesis at the moment. Just had one very patient customer kindly wait and eventually confirmed delivery 4 weeks after we sent it! I've had 3 other Italian customers chasing late deliveries in the last few days.

I only started sending to Italy again this year after blocking them for the past few years. Have had no real problems until now.

I still have Italy blocked and don't think I will be unblocking them in the foreeable future.

I'm getting a lot less tolerant now but am getting more laid back about my ebay sales generally. Although I did use CS this morning about a neutral I got- and they removed it within 2 minutes- yay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sequence
    sequence Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Italy, US, Netherlands, Ireland all useless and blocked for me!
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm surprised at you blocking Ireland! We sell loads to Ireland and have proportionally less problems with orders going there than we do within the UK. No real problems with US or Netherlands either.

I only started selling to Italy again because I heard of so many sellers doing ok sending there. To be honest, even if I have to refund 4 or 5 missing orders, all the other successful ones have still made it worthwhile.
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I sell a lot to Ireland as well no problems.
    Italy has been on my blocked list for years.
    And Malta is giving me grief!
  • lovinituk
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Malta is another one that we send quite a few orders to with relatively few problems.

The only countries I have sent to and actually had any really noticeable, above average problems with are Russia, India and Italy.

Russia and India have been blocked from very early on and that is unlikely to change. Italy might go back on the list if this carries on!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,183 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Right. that's it- I've blocked the US entirely from all my listings. In the whole of 2014 I have had 3 INR claims , in the past 10 days I have had 3 from the US, all went straight to a full dispute, and one closed it within 24 hours saying item had arrived (but of course I still have the defect).

I cannot deal with buyers who think that opening a full dispute on an INR in some case just over a week after item was paid for is acceptable, they don't even drop you a friendly note first saying they are concerned item is late or something.

The USA was a fairly good market for me, not one of my best- but the ratio of INRs compared to the items sold is completely out of whack with other countries.

As with the other INRs I am not refunding straight away and am making them wait, after all I am no longer in any hurry to appease them.

I also have the paypal case open for fraudulent use of a card which although I will win will tie up my paypal funds for around 6 weeks- again an American buyer.
  • densol_2
    densol_2 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    I travel to the U.S. a lot for leisure and whilst they are lovely people - they are VERY demanding on any service industry etc. They have no patience and have a demand it now attitude. Like you say it's out of proportion to other countries ( not surprising ) and just not worth the defect agg they attract
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland :D

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
  • Bottom line; eBay knows how business sellers work and what services they use to send, but provide buyers with over optimistic estimated delivery dates (not managing customer expectations) and then don't back up the seller when it actually takes longer than the buyer is willing to wait.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure