Fake BT Technician/Scammer

Hi everybody,
I just want to share my experience with you, earlier today I received a phone call from number 00919797999997, and the caller claimed to be a technician from BT, who noticed that there was a problem in my computer slowing down the broadband at my local servers - weird -, so he said he will help me fix that issue on my laptop so my laptop will be faster. It sounded dodgy, as the caller was calling from international number, obviously one of those virtual internet numbers, also his accent was wrong, thirdly he failed to know any detail about me apart from my phone number.

Still I decided to go on with him, so he asked me to install teamviewer software - a software that let others access your computer from anther computer by simply giving him your unique teamviewer passcode -, and he asked me for my passcode so he can access my computer and install a software that will clear all the viruses on my computer. Here I was certain that he was only trying to install a malicious software that will steal my data, credit card numbers, paypal passwords, online banking details etc... So I refused and told him that if there are viruses on my laptop I'm happy with it, but I won't let you access my privacy, he tried to convince but when I told him cut it short this won't happen he hung up on me.

I called BT who confirmed that it was a scam, luckily I didn't fall for it, but it can happen to anyone so please watch out.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    mcmaze wrote: »
    Hi everybody,
    I just want to share my experience with you, earlier today I received a phone call from number 00919797999997, and the caller claimed to be a technician from BT, who noticed that there was a problem in my computer slowing down the broadband at my local servers - weird -, so he said he will help me fix that issue on my laptop so my laptop will be faster. It sounded dodgy, as the caller was calling from international number, obviously one of those virtual internet numbers, also his accent was wrong, thirdly he failed to know any detail about me apart from my phone number.

Still I decided to go on with him, so he asked me to install teamviewer software - a software that let others access your computer from anther computer by simply giving him your unique teamviewer passcode -, and he asked me for my passcode so he can access my computer and install a software that will clear all the viruses on my computer. Here I was certain that he was only trying to install a malicious software that will steal my data, credit card numbers, paypal passwords, online banking details etc... So I refused and told him that if there are viruses on my laptop I'm happy with it, but I won't let you access my privacy, he tried to convince but when I told him cut it short this won't happen he hung up on me.

I called BT who confirmed that it was a scam, luckily I didn't fall for it, but it can happen to anyone so please watch out.

It's been going on for ages, though they are usually from 'Microsoft'. There is a thread on here, about it, containing a link to Youtube footage of a man having fun with them. (I had some fun, myself, wasting a lot of their time before letting them listen to my new speakers)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    These scams are plastered all over the newspapers and internet .But the perpetrators must be getting enough mugs to make it pay .
    Love to be able to reverse team viewer and format their machines .
  • marywooyeah
    marywooyeah Posts: 2,656 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    teddysmum wrote: »
    It's been going on for ages, though they are usually from 'Microsoft'. There is a thread on here, about it, containing a link to Youtube footage of a man having fun with them. (I had some fun, myself, wasting a lot of their time before letting them listen to my new speakers)

Yeah I've had the "Microsoft" ones too, I muck about with them and ask them to repeat themselves as I "can't hear them" then say stupid things like "which part is the mouse?", "internet, what's that" until they hang up - never gets old! :rotfl:
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wish I was getting these calls still -at least you can have a bit of fun with them -all I seem to get at the moment,are prerecorded messages about debts or free boilers!!:rotfl:
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Wish I was getting these calls still -at least you can have a bit of fun with them -all I seem to get at the moment,are prerecorded messages about debts or free boilers!!:rotfl:

I hadn't had any for ages, until last week, so you may be lucky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure