PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Monthly Meal Planner

Comments

• MissShoes
    MissShoes Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all,

I spent 2 hours last night reading through Mbaz's thread....wow! That is all I can say for what she achieved! She (and everyone else on this board's general thriftiness) has inspired me.

I am on the Cambridge Diet...12 weeks to go and counting! I need to practise my cooking skills on my willing victim lol (my other half LL). That way I'll be cooking nutritiously rather than bunging any old rubbish in the oven when my 12 weeks are over. LL works a minimum of 8 hours a day doing very physical work so he needs big meals and it is shocking how much he eats! Lots of carbs!

So I have done a shop...and a storecupboard audit- my aim this month is not to buy any other food this month (22July-22August) other than milk and possibly fresh fruit/veg. I plan on updating this thread to keep a track of what I;m cooking and attempt (for the first time ever) proper meal planning.

Breakfast Stuff
    Honey Nut Flakes 500g
    Malted Wheaties 625g
    Rice Krispies 375g
    Honey Hoops 375g
    Coco Pops 375g
    Leftover oats and cheerios

Lunch/Dinner Ingredients
    6 x filled pasta 250g each
    8 x chicken noodles 65g each
    1kg fusilli pasta
    1 packet canneloni tubes
    1 kg basmati rice
    750g soya mince
    500g pearl barley (not sure what I can do with this?)
    1 kg cous cous
    1kg red lentils
    9 tins kidney beans
    2 tins chickpeas
    2 tins butterbeans
    9 tins chopped tomatoes
    2 tins sweetcorn
    4 tins tuna
    1 tin salmon
    3 jars tomato and herb pasta sauce
    4 tins baked beans
    2 tins spaghetti
    5 tins curry sauce (the tesco 4p sauce!!)
    1 tin sweet and sour sauce (the tesco 28p sauce!!)
    1 jar korma sauce
    1 jar tikka masala sauce
    plain, self-raising and cornflour

Meat/Fish
    Beef mince 500g
    Chipolatas (24) 680g
    Sausages (8) 454g
    1 pack bacon
    1 pack ham
    20 frankfurters
    8 chicken breasts
    3 small tuna fillets
    4 small cod fillets

Fridge
    Cheddar
    Red Leicester
    10 eggs
    Margarine
    Roasted Peppers
    Pesto
    Olives
    Sundried tomatoes
    6 tubes tomato puree
    Mustard
    Ketchup
    Mayo
    Garlic Mayo
    Marmalade
    Marmite
    Honey
    Garlic Puree

Fruit/Veg
    2 packets green grapes
    10 bananas
    6 green apples
    1 punnet nectarines
    1 mango
    2kg new potatoes
    7 peppers
    1 kg carrots
    5 onions
    28 tomatoes
    2 cucumbers
    2 bunches spring onion

Freezer stuff
    1 pack shortcrust pastry
    3 pizzas
    1/2 loaf of bread
    1 garlic baguette

Drinks
    6 cartons fruit juice
    24 bottles of water (1.99- wasn't a waste!)
    2 bottles of squash
    4 cans beer
    1 bottle Bombay Sapphire....yum yum
    1 bottle rose wine
    1 bottle pink champagne (for when I finish diet)
    1 bottle normal gin
    1 bottle vodka
    1 bottle rum

On top of that I have all the usual herbs, spices, gravy granules, stock stuff, balsamic vinegar etc etc.

Things to note- LL doesn't do sandwiches for lunch so I tend to make enough at dinner for his lunch the next day.

Now to meal plan for the next week...

Love Shoes

xx
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • MissShoes
    Breakfasts
    Cereal
    Toast
    Egg, Beans, Frankfurters (eurgh but LL loves them), Bacon, Tomato, Toast

Wed 22/7- Spag bol and garlic bread
    Thu 23/7- Potato, chickpea and chicken curry, rice
    Fri 24/7- Sausage casserole
    Sat 25/7- Tuna pasta bake
    Sun 26/7- Roasted chicken breast and potatoes, veg
    Mon 27/7- Chilli con carne, rice
    Tue 28/7- Quiche Lorraine, Couscous salad

I think I can make most of this now so will get a head start...

Shoes

xx
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done!!! Will be following your footsteps, im planning monthly shopping/meal plan also. Good Luck!
  • Beki
    Beki Posts: 917 Forumite
    brilliant! well done :D
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My word!!!!:rotfl: You're cupboards must be HUGE!!!!!!! My small kitchen is jealous! :rotfl: In regards to buying milk, I've switched to UHT milk so that I can stock up at the start of the month and avoid the shops and impulse buying throughout the month. I also use pearl barley in my soups.

Snowy
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • MissShoes
    Hi all- thanks for replies!

I am in the middle of cooking-

Sausage casserole (type thing) done- just sausages, potatoes, onions, carrots, sage and thyme, s and p in a gravy/stock type thing.

Potato and chickpea casserole- potatoes, chickpeas, can of 4p curry sauce (!), garlic, tomato puree, carrots, tumeric, cumin, s and p, stock, paprika, cayenne and chilli- it actually tastes ok!

About to start bolognese- will leave all 3 out- LL can choose which one to start with lol!

Domestic goddess!

Shoes

xx
    • DFD 4th July 2015
    • MFD 1st October 2021
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    MissShoes wrote: »
    So I have done a shop...and a storecupboard audit- my aim this month is not to buy any other food this month (22July-22August) other than milk and possibly fresh fruit/veg. I plan on updating this thread to keep a track of what I;m cooking and attempt (for the first time ever) proper meal planning.

Looks like a good plan ;) We have an exisitng thread on Monthly Mealplanning, so I'll merge this thread to that one to keep ideas together.

Good luck with the rest of your challenge :T

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Right, well, i am well on my way with meal planning now. Decided a spreadsheet would actually help along the way - god bless them! ive made a list of all the bulk food/products we may need to buy in a month, and also how much each item costs, with a total, so i know how much we will need approx to get started. Im so looking forward to it! Also doing a spreadsheet for meal planning, need to try and coax OH to put some input into this part!
  • *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    natc wrote: »
    Right, well, i am well on my way with meal planning now. Decided a spreadsheet would actually help along the way - god bless them! ive made a list of all the bulk food/products we may need to buy in a month, and also how much each item costs, with a total, so i know how much we will need approx to get started. Im so looking forward to it! Also doing a spreadsheet for meal planning, need to try and coax OH to put some input into this part!

This is a great thread- lots of really useful ideas.
    If anyone does any menu planning spreadsheets would it be possible to post them on here so I can steal and adapt them ;-)
    Thanks
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    natc wrote: »
    Oh wow, Allegra, that is just what i wanted to hear, a proper example of how you do it! Thanks so much posting. It really is amazing how mums (and dads) are so organised behind the scenes. you should be really proud of yourself!

I am just so rubbish at cooking, my OH usually cooks when he gets home from work, he gets home about an hour before me, and plus hes better than me! But id like to cook, its not fair that he does it all the time. So, id like to get some meal ideas together, get the recipes i need for the meals, organise a meal plan, and then it should be easier for us to do. It always seems rush rush rush, and wasting food, or not utilising it enough. Very grateful for your input Allegra, and looking forward to seeing your meal plan!

Another thing.....how do you do your plan? Im a bit of a spreadsheet freak, and can see that im getting a lot of plans/budgets going on in spreadsheets, is it worth doing one for meal plans?

Aw :o You are very kind. Plain old pencil (for ease of last-minute changes) and paper for me, I'm afraid - I am very Old Style that way !

I've still not had time to log in from home and post a recent plan, but I did have a cunning idea (quiet afternoon at work !) of linking to a month's worth of old plans, back in the day when I had time to post them with some regularity.

So, here goes:

Week One

Week Two

Week Three

Week Four

As for "being rubbish at cooking" - well, practice does make, if not perfect, then at least edible. I left home (and country) at 17 not being able to, as they say, to boil an egg. Fifteen years later, I still wouldn't say I am a great cook, but I am certainly an enthusiastic one - and whilst, given an expensive steak to fry, I'd probably ruin it, but give me a handful of uninspiring odds and ends, a few weeds and a handful of spices, and I'm off :D Start by cooking what you really like eating, don't get down if it doesn't turn out perfect the first time, and - crucially - don't get stressed about the end result, but enjoy the process instead, and you'll be absolutely fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure